Sponsored

C6 Z06 owners

Skywakerlt5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT convertible
New to the forum. Looking for comments from 350 owners that have owned or may still own a C6 Z06. I've owned a Z06 for 6 years now and thinking of making a change. Really intrigued by the GT350, especially the engine,and sitting a little higher off the road would be ok too. Any opinions and comparisons would be appreciated . Thanks
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Welcome! I had a C6Z06 for almost 5 years. The GT350 feels a lot different. It sits higher, doesn't have the low end grunt the LS7 has, it's easier to see out of. I also think it has a nicer interior, it rides better, definitely feels like it handles better - you don't get the twichyiness with uneven pavement like you do with the Z06 - and has a lot less road noise from the tires. The fuel mileage is a bit worse.

OP
OP

Skywakerlt5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT convertible
Tanks sublime. I certainly wouldn't miss the road noise from the tires. I really like the the 350 interior. I guess a guy would get used to the lack of low end torque.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Going from a sub 3200lb car to a 3700+lb car. Someone mentioned tires, going with a different tire from factory may help with noise. Interior fit and finish the c6 has always been crap.
Whatever you decide OP good luck. I like both cars and would it. Id just remove rear seats and get lighter wheels to lose weight.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Plus don't try to think or have that mentality of a GT350 pounding asphalt like a C6 Z06 does with brute torque... meaning the Shelby is all about higher RPM's for pure joy, bliss, sound, speed and power. When the Corvette runs out of breath, the Shelby starts singing even better....

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Plus don't try to think or have that mentality of a GT350 pounding asphalt like a C6 Z06 does with brute torque... meaning the Shelby is all about higher RPM's for pure joy, bliss, sound, speed and power. When the Corvette runs out of breath, the Shelby starts singing even better....
THIS!!!^^^^ Is the best part. 8250 reasons why the voodoo is bad ass

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Had both the 350 is a better overall car in my view!

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
Z06

I have both currently (2009 Z06 and 17 GT350). What sublime said is spot on. I love the GT350 and would have a hard decision to make if I only had to have 1. The Z06 suffers from poor OEM tire options but can be improved if updated to MPSS. The speed differential is still remarkable and if you plan on tracking and still want to be the fastest, the Z06 will remain the weapon of choice in either road course time trials or autocross...it's a power to weight thing!

But for pure enjoyment of daily driving, fun factor, sound and looks, the GT350 is a better choice.

I've never been a Ford guy but all of the sudden I find myself with 3 (F350, V6 S550 mustang for daughter and the GT350). I guess i'm a believer now.

Not sure i'd reference the Z06 as snappy, there's less under steer and more torque available...just takes experience. The GT350 is less "scary" I guess as it has more to overcome but can be fun too once you get into the power curve.

Welcome! I had a C6Z06 for almost 5 years. The GT350 feels a lot different. It sits higher, doesn't have the low end grunt the LS7 has, it's easier to see out of. I also think it has a nicer interior, it rides better, definitely feels like it handles better - you don't get the twichyiness with uneven pavement like you do with the Z06 - and has a lot less road noise from the tires. The fuel mileage is a bit worse.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
I have both currently (2009 Z06 and 17 GT350). What sublime said is spot on. I love the GT350 and would have a hard decision to make if I only had to have 1. The Z06 suffers from poor OEM tire options but can be improved if updated to MPSS. The speed differential is still remarkable and if you plan on tracking and still want to be the fastest, the Z06 will remain the weapon of choice in either road course time trials or autocross...it's a power to weight thing!

But for pure enjoyment of daily driving, fun factor, sound and looks, the GT350 is a better choice.

I've never been a Ford guy but all of the sudden I find myself with 3 (F350, V6 S550 mustang for daughter and the GT350). I guess i'm a believer now.

Not sure i'd reference the Z06 as snappy, there's less under steer and more torque available...just takes experience. The GT350 is less "scary" I guess as it has more to overcome but can be fun too once you get into the power curve.
Like the poster, this is my first Ford toy after many Corvettes including C5 and C6 Z's. In some respects, the '02 C5Z remains my favorite Z, although it lacked the panache of the 427. I eventually supercharged the C5Z with a Lingenfelter kit and relocated the battery to the trunk to help offset the weight a bit. Would love to relocate the GT 350 battery, but no one seems to offer that so I am looking into a reliable lithium battery. When I got my C6Z, it wasn't long before I noticed its handling problems on anything less than very smooth corners. Most of that was fixed when I moved away from GY rubber to Michelins plus replaced stock shocks and bushings with Rippie modified Bilsteins.

No comparison re power to weight and with some lightening, my C6 Z ended up on race scales at around 3050 lbs including 5 gallons in the tank. As much as I like my GT 350 and that it fills my need for something different for a change, it really feels heavy to me coming from the Vette world. But the car IMHO has so much character and in your face "attitude" plus its uniqueness, I really do enjoy it. Now that I have done a bit of power-up mods, I am hoping to get about 200 lbs of functional weight out of the car (including unsprung rotational weight).

I keep thinking about moving up to an "R" but I hate having the thought of having to immediately replace the Cups for street use which will be the vast majority of time. Runnning Cups in Florida when we get those heavy rains out of nowhere is :crazy: Not crazy about how the stock Recaros mesh with my 68 year old body... And did I mention I still not thrilled about paying $10k ADMs? :headbonk:

Sponsored

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I tracked and DD'd a 2006 Z06 (on sunny days) for about four years. Very fast car, much faster acceleration than my R. That said . . .

The Z tends to snap oversteer, which is mitigated by a full tank of gas and hot ambient temps; and if you're quick, you can catch it and throttle steer it. The GT350 (esp. the R) is planted. As Randy Pobst said, it's "so hooked up." Even on the street (there are a few favorite twisties and ramps around here), it's more planted than the Z. And the magneride is awesome.

The Z's interior is pitiful, especially the white substance that forms on the rubbery plastic interior panels. The GT350's interior is nice. The Z's seats suck; the GT350's Recaro's are terrific.

Since there are so many fast cars out there you can buy, it comes down to what makes you smile. For me, there's no contest. The GT350 is way more fun to drive. The awesome noises it makes are a hoot, and they never get old. As far as tracking goes, I haven't done that yet, but I can't imagine the GT350 isn't even more fun when getting rung out. And I can tell it won't have any surprises, certainly no bad ones.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I had a C6Z for about 3 years. Once I changed over to Nitto Invos, the car was way more predictable in the handling department. The power to weight ratio and the sheer lightness of the vehicle made it allot of fun on the street. It was a monster and felt scary at times. Again, lots of fun. Eventually I found myself dreaming of owning something else. The motor lacked something I could not put my finger on.

My R may not feel as brutal in acceleration, but the driving experience gives you something unique. It will make you master heal-toe downshifts, and beg for more. With the Cup 2ā€™s, it feels more planted and extremely confidence inspiring. I havenā€™t felt the urge to trade for anything else. Well, I did trade my Track Pack for the R, as I was so impressed with the base 350 experience, I wanted to sample the 120 proof version, and donā€™t regret upgrading one bit. The cars really do drive differently.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
AGREED with all the above.

OP
OP

Skywakerlt5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT convertible
Thank you all for your replies. My Z is an 11 Carbon with the carbon brakes and MPSS tires.
Lots of fun on an autox course. The girlfriend has a 13 5.0 GT manual convertible .Even with the solid rear axle it's a more pleasant ride on a lot of the roads here. Only one dealer here that has the Shelby allocation so I am hoping they can be convinced to allow a test drive. A friend tried in the fall when he was looking. They said no so he bought a Camaro.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
If you have one of the actual Carbon editions, I would hold on to it....bottom of depreciation curve and always in demand if you sell.

I have a 13 C6Z set up with some minor track mods and Stoptech brakes, no comparison to the GT350 as far as back roads/track and size feel, hands down the Z. The Z loses on many of the quotes above, space, road noise, visibility, ease of use, newer tech, etc.
However to me, and this will be controversial to some, the GT just always feels big and ponderous at times, yes it sticks, yes it brakes very well, but it never feels "smaller that it is" to me as others have said. Even engine comparisons, the LS7 is a great engine, the GT350 engine also, in different ways.

As far as handling and oversteer, the earlier/first Z had a very stiff rear shock, changed over the years, and frankly I do not find the car scary or loose, yes it needs more finesse in power application, not as forgiving as the GT350, but boy when you learn to manipulate that endless linear power ! I actually find the rear end of the GT350 a bit unruly, bumpy and slightly skittish, like damping is off. Not scary, or it steps out, and easily catchable.

If you only had to have one toy, it would be a hard call for me....the GT350 more usable daily, space for travel, comfort and ease of entry, a great GT car, the Z a true sports car.
Keep the Carbon and get a GT350 if you can do both, or maybe a PP1/2 if budget is tight.

I have always thought how awesome the GT350 engine would be in my 3176# Z06...
Sponsored