Sponsored

Cranky frame and extended warranty questions

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Not the mustang because I don't drive it in the winter but my winter car WRX would make a crack sound after I washed it and some water freezes between the window and door frame making a loud crack sound if there is some body twist.
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Hi all,
Second.. what are the best places to buy the ESP? I'm thinking of getting an 8yr ~30-50K mileage package and want to find the best price.
I got a quote of $1640 for the 8yr/100k ESP online and the local dealer agreed to match it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I do know for a fact if there is any water/moisture that has froze and is trapped near, around, under or in between the lower black rubber weather strip that is at the base of the rear window - you will certainly hear “cracking” or “popping” noises when driving at speed or when backing up over uneven road surfaces. My 2016 did it every time during winter months.

Another thing is, newer vehicles are being built more structurally safe, so there’s more welded underlying body bracing near the rear 1/4 panels. Depending on the road surface and angle of vehicle on that surface (say backing up or pulling into a driveway on a slight angle) you could experience or hear crack/pop noises due to how rigid the panel/bracing structure was designed.

For instance, my 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe’s Body shell was designed to be more structurally rigid than a BMW M3 of the same year (fact). If I approached entering (or leaving) a driveway on a slight angle, one of the rear wheels would actually lift from the pavement - and there was that crack/pop noise as the rear of the body shell tried to flex - but there really was not any allowable flex due to design. Some days I thought the rear window was going to pop out of that body shell.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
For instance, my 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe’s Body shell was designed to be more structurally rigid than a BMW M3 of the same year (fact). If I approached entering (or leaving) a driveway on a slight angle, one of the rear wheels would actually lift from the pavement - and there was that crack/pop noise as the rear of the body shell tried to flex - but there really was not any allowable flex due to design. Some days I thought the rear window was going to pop out of that body shell.
Rigid things don't make noise because nothing is moving to create the noise. Noise is energy created by movement. You may be getting less twist than that m3 but it is still twisting.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
So I brought the car by the dealer last week, and got a phone call three days later "nothing seems to be wrong". They were unable to replicate the noise, and claim to have put the card on a rack and checked everything out. 10 miles were put on the car, and the mpg only changed about .3, so they weren't out messing with it at least.

Not sure what to think now.. gives me a bit of anxiety if something is actually wrong.

Keep trying to replicate it. Most likely though, loose bolt from the factory. Rear shock mounts have been known to make a similar noise when not torqued all the way down.
I have been able to replicate it now, not the loud noise that happened, but the light scraping noise that comes from the right rear when turning right and going up an embankment.

I have a similar creak that comes from the rear passenger side/c-pillar area that occurs when I go over angles in the road. Haven't been able to pinpoint it yet, but everything is visibly straight, and my tires are aligned so I'm not too worried about it. Perhaps when I do new springs/dampers and mounts, I'll be able to pinpoint it.
Did you ever figure anything out on your creak?

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
S550's are not at all as stiff chassis wise as some might think. I get a kick out of the guys that are jacking up their cars to take off the wheels to clean them every week. Keep stressing them back and forth like that and over time things get loose or even break. If you really need to be obsessive about the wheels, get a lift in your garage and lift it level.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I don't know how you guys can order from a drive thru in a brand new Mustang. Just saying..
It's easy bud. You just pull up, talk into the clowns mouth, drive up to the window, and a person will hand you your food. :D

Nelson, if it doesn't creak again, and it were me, I would just let it go. It may have been just "one of those things".

And ref the warranty, Flood was the cheapest on my F-150, and the Mustang. Funny thing was my dealer would match the price on the Mustang, but he wasn't interested in matching it on the F-150. So, I went with Flood. It's was a smooth, and easy process.

10r80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Mine did this once as I reversed out of my steep driveway- but hasn't happened again. In my case, it would only a slight creaking noise.

Sledgeyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT PP
My 2017 GT PP suddenly started the same front ended creaking. Took it to the dealer and after considerable time, they determined my front K frame needs replacement (under warranty). Funny part is they told me I could drive it until new frame came in. It seems to be getting worse by the minute though...

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase