Sponsored

Cranky frame and extended warranty questions

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Hi all,

I took delivery of my 18GT on Thursday this week and have so far been enjoying it very much, although the weather isn't exactly helping that. I had two questions I wanted to discuss based on my research/experience so far.

The first day I brought it home I pulled into a drive-through to get some food, and the piece of the road before the drive-through has an angle to it, so I went basically up and at an angle into this area, and somewhere near the C-pillar part of the frame made a large "crack" noise, it was more than a "creak" it was like a loud metal clang or crack noise. I inspected when I got home and the rear glass isn't cracked and I don't really see anything out of the norm but it was loud and quite weird. Any idea what it was or what I should check? It was definitely not the bottom of the car hitting the ground or anything it came from up high..

Second.. what are the best places to buy the ESP? I'm thinking of getting an 8yr ~30-50K mileage package and want to find the best price.
Sponsored

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Flood Ford check online there are great deals for the Ford plan

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I have a similar creak that comes from the rear passenger side/c-pillar area that occurs when I go over angles in the road. Haven't been able to pinpoint it yet, but everything is visibly straight, and my tires are aligned so I'm not too worried about it. Perhaps when I do new springs/dampers and mounts, I'll be able to pinpoint it.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Hi all,

I took delivery of my 18GT on Thursday this week and have so far been enjoying it very much, although the weather isn't exactly helping that. I had two questions I wanted to discuss based on my research/experience so far.

The first day I brought it home I pulled into a drive-through to get some food, and the piece of the road before the drive-through has an angle to it, so I went basically up and at an angle into this area, and somewhere near the C-pillar part of the frame made a large "crack" noise, it was more than a "creak" it was like a loud metal clang or crack noise. I inspected when I got home and the rear glass isn't cracked and I don't really see anything out of the norm but it was loud and quite weird. Any idea what it was or what I should check? It was definitely not the bottom of the car hitting the ground or anything it came from up high..

Second.. what are the best places to buy the ESP? I'm thinking of getting an 8yr ~30-50K mileage package and want to find the best price.

:doh:

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I just got my GT the other day too, and I'm also from Colorado, and I also went to a Wendy's right after. Are you sure you're not me?

Sponsored

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'd take it in. Does the sound replicate? This is important especially under similiar conditions. Could it be snow ice related ie shifting on car? Hopefully it is not in the frame, body.

Had a 16GT, knock sound was coming from the drivers side front end. Depending on fix the sound changed when it would occur but generally exhibited it self on turns. Endless attempted fixeds were made until it was concluded the sound was coming from the frame. Ford eventually had to use chassis ears to diagnose. Fords last attempt was plug welding the frame rail lower flange over the drivers side front wheel. After 7 months and a significant amount of escalation including bringing in Ford engineering, Ford took the car back. I'm now in a 17 GT PP. Experience was difficult to say the least.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I don't know how you guys can order from a drive thru in a brand new Mustang. Just saying..

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
?

I just got my GT the other day too, and I'm also from Colorado, and I also went to a Wendy's right after. Are you sure you're not me?
Haha, well as may have been your situation, after a 10 hour day working and then 4 hours of volunteer work, it was quite late and there's not much open in my area at that time. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do unless not eat dinner.

I'd take it in. Does the sound replicate? This is important especially under similiar conditions. Could it be snow ice related ie shifting on car? Hopefully it is not in the frame, body.

Had a 16GT, knock sound was coming from the drivers side front end. Depending on fix the sound changed when it would occur but generally exhibited it self on turns. Endless attempted fixeds were made until it was concluded the sound was coming from the frame. Ford eventually had to use chassis ears to diagnose. Fords last attempt was plug welding the frame rail lower flange over the drivers side front wheel. After 7 months and a significant amount of escalation including bringing in Ford engineering, Ford took the car back. I'm now in a 17 GT PP. Experience was difficult to say the least.
It hasn't replicated yet, I'm planning to take it to the same spot where it did and trying it out, but the weather is awful at the moment. I'm hoping it was just flex in the frame that it hadn't experienced yet so it just creaked a bit but I'm worried about structural integrity. (only driven like 20 miles so far, so not sure if that is expected)

I don't know how you guys can order from a drive thru in a brand new Mustang. Just saying..
I don't understand what is wrong with a drive thru and what it has to do with a new Mustang. Would you prefer I go in the place and order for to go?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
?

...I don't understand what is wrong with a drive thru and what it has to do with a new Mustang. Would you prefer I go in the place and order for to go?
Maybe he's picturing this in his head.
drive thru.jpg

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The frame may flex but you should not hear anything if built to spec.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Keep trying to replicate it. Most likely though, loose bolt from the factory. Rear shock mounts have been known to make a similar noise when not torqued all the way down.

As far as food in the car? I went two years before I put food in my car because I liked the new car smell so much more. And when I did, it went in the trunk!

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Keep trying to replicate it. Most likely though, loose bolt from the factory. Rear shock mounts have been known to make a similar noise when not torqued all the way down.

As far as food in the car? I went two years before I put food in my car because I liked the new car smell so much more. And when I did, it went in the trunk!
How could I check these myself, are they accessible from the trunk or from under the car?

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
How could I check these myself, are they accessible from the trunk or from under the car?
I may be wrong on this, but i believe they are under the body?

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Just behind the rear tires. Jack it up, remove tire and they are right there. Get it high enough and you might not need to pull the tire.
Sponsored