Sponsored

Need to press start button twice to start car?

ebolamonkey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
Hey guys, I have a 2015 manual GT. I used to be able to just get into the car with they key fob in my pocket, hold down the clutch, press & hold the start button and start the engine.

Recently I was driving long distance overnight, and pulled over to take a nap. I turned the engine off but kept the power on to keep the air going. After that, I need to press the start once to turn the power on, then the screen will say hold down clutch to start engine. And on the second press I can start the engine. It's really annoying, does anyone know how I can change it back to the way it was?
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I'm assuming you've got the clutch pressed in all the way during the first button push?

OP
OP
ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
I've tried only depressing the clutch and depressing both the clutch and the brake. Every time the car is in neutral.

Moving-Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MGT
So, when you get in the car and press the clutch pedal do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
If nothing else, disconnect the battery for 15 min.

OP
OP
ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
What does the fuel pump priming sound like? When I press the start button the first time, I can hear a sound coming from under the car, it's kind of hard to describe but kind of sounds like when the wheels come up/down on an airplane.

What will disconnecting the battery do?

bumada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
What does the fuel pump priming sound like? When I press the start button the first time, I can hear a sound coming from under the car, it's kind of hard to describe but kind of sounds like when the wheels come up/down on an airplane.

What will disconnecting the battery do?
Kind of like when your internet is being screwy so you unplug the modem/router and plug it back in.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Remember, these cars are run off a computer. Rebooting it on occasion is a good thing.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You may have the setting on for the seat to move back when turning off. So when you get in the car again, it's once to move the seat back to the original position, then once more to start the car.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
You slept in your mustang you have confused the hell out of it...

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
You may have the setting on for the seat to move back when turning off. So when you get in the car again, it's once to move the seat back to the original position, then once more to start the car.
I have the setting that moves the seat back when I shut the car off, but I only have to press my start button once. My seat moves forward at the same time the car is starting.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
For some reason its not priming the fuel system when you get in - requireing the double tap. If its a repeatable problem take it to the dealer. It may be as simple as a "reboot" or it could be a failing sensor. Its under warranty - use it!!!!

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I have a 2015 manual GT. I used to be able to just get into the car with they key fob in my pocket, hold down the clutch, press & hold the start button and start the engine.

Recently I was driving long distance overnight, and pulled over to take a nap. I turned the engine off but kept the power on to keep the air going. After that, I need to press the start once to turn the power on, then the screen will say hold down clutch to start engine. And on the second press I can start the engine. It's really annoying, does anyone know how I can change it back to the way it was?

Did you physically leave your car after your nap? If not, then it will take 2 button pushes to start it. Once to turn the electronics of the car on, then another push to start the engine.

Normally when you enter the car, the action of the door powers up the electronics. Then when you push the clutch in, the fuel pump primes and you can tap the engine start button the one time to start the engine.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... take it to the dealer... Its under warranty - use it!!!!
Just remember dealerships love warranty work because they get paid by corporate. They love it so much sometimes they've been known to do sneaky things so you can get more free warranty work down the road.
Sponsored