Sponsored

Traded in my GT

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
This is interesting. Last year, mine was imperceptible and was really happy about it. The last car I owned severely low-end lacked torque and the AC compressor would bog it really badly. This year, I've noticed the AC bogging the engine some. I've also noticed that the overall engine sound presence is much higher when the AC is on, even during acceleration.
Me too! And I feel like the clutch makes more noise, oddly. Dealer thinks I'm a lunatic, but it's just the engine being bogged down and different clutch sounds. I have just learned to live with it because no dealer will do more than just test to see if the air coming out of the vents is 36*...
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
This is interesting. Last year, mine was imperceptible and was really happy about it. The last car I owned severely low-end lacked torque and the AC compressor would bog it really badly. This year, I've noticed the AC bogging the engine some. I've also noticed that the overall engine sound presence is much higher when the AC is on, even during acceleration.
Ditto. Mine was equally imperceptible until the last 2-3 months. It actually caused me to stall for the first time in 22k miles of driving this car, when I went to leave a stoplight in 2nd, and found I had to give it more gas and slip clutch more than usual due to the heavy load the compressor placed on the engine...

I too have regular thoughts of trading this car in already, but I can't for the life of me figure out what else is out there with this bang for the buck that I would enjoy driving :shrug:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I know everyone's does. Mine has always done so more than any other Mustang I've been in (modified or not) - about 15 others. Could be perception and/or the driver (could be = probably). I'm not so much worried by it as I am annoyed by it knowing I've driven $12,000 cars with no clunky clunks. I drive a lot... 13.5K miles in <6 months of ownership. Glad I didn't lease...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ditto. Mine was equally imperceptible until the last 2-3 months. It actually cause me to stall for the first time in 22k miles of driving this car, when I went to leave a stoplight in 2nd, and found I had to give it more gas and slip clutch more than usual due to the heavy load the compressor placed on the engine...

I too have regular thoughts of trading this car in already, but I can't for the life of me figure out what else is out there with this bang for the buck that I would enjoy driving :shrug:
Try doing a decel in 2 or 3 gear and when the compressor kicks on, does it jerk the car a little? This if you have a M/T. Does mine... that's telling. Never had that before in any M/T car. Super weird. Of course, "can't replicate the issue" is what I hear.

But moving on... haha. Sorry.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto. Mine was equally imperceptible until the last 2-3 months. It actually caused me to stall for the first time in 22k miles of driving this car, when I went to leave a stoplight in 2nd, and found I had to give it more gas and slip clutch more than usual due to the heavy load the compressor placed on the engine...

This is no way I'd get rid of this car for this AC issue. It's minor and doesn't prevent me from enjoying the car. I can feel it most when I have the AC off, coasting in like 5th gear around 40 mph, and then turning the AC on. You feel a small jolt and the car slows down a tad at that moment.

I have, however, thought about bringing it in to see if my compressor is running right. Ford calibrators do their best to make it as undetectable as possible (one of my best friends used to do features calibration on 2.5L engines, he is now in Ford Performance). I just ticked over 30,000 miles, but have noticed the AC compressor load being noticeably higher since about 27-28,000 miles.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I do notice the engine sounds louder with AC on also when in neutral, every time the AC kicks on, the engine would load up and whole car rocks.
With that being said, it's probably because of the stiffer engine mounts being a sports car.
With that being said, AC pump robs at least 5hp-10hp.
My FJ if you hold the car with brakes just enough and when the AC kicks on, the extra load would actually make the car start moving so you have to be very paying attention not to rear end someone.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
i don't have any issues car is rock solid had her up to 145 mph the other day no issue going in for n/a build next week ....i have 2200 miles an auto with 3.55 gears...

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Try doing a decel in 2 or 3 gear and when the compressor kicks on, does it jerk the car a little? This if you have a M/T. Does mine... that's telling. Never had that before in any M/T car. Super weird. Of course, "can't replicate the issue" is what I hear.

But moving on... haha. Sorry.
You mean while coasting down in 2nd or 3rd, turn the AC on then and see if it jerks? I'll have to give it a shot.

We should probably start a thread to document these issues as well lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do notice the engine sounds louder with AC on also when in neutral, every time the AC kicks on, the engine would load up and whole car rocks.
With that being said, it's probably because of the stiffer engine mounts being a sports car.
With that being said, AC pump robs at least 5hp-10hp.
My FJ if you hold the car with brakes just enough and when the AC kicks on, the extra load would actually make the car start moving so you have to be very paying attention not to rear end someone.
I actually think it's a harmonic thing, as if it were just load it would be equally loud under any form of brisk acceleration. The effect is now exacerbated by the shifter bushing I swapped in. I didn't notice the AC bogging the car or making it louder until I did the shifter bushing. That happened to coincide with warmer weather coming in, so it's hard to say. It really got louder after I installed my JBA axle back.

Based on how the car feels, I'd say the compressor is sapping closer to 20-25 hp. It's very noticeable.

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
decent trade in on a two year old stang. congrats on moving up to something better.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT (black red racing stripes)
I just looked up the RC-f great looking car except the front grill. Holy mackerel is that grill hideous.

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
The RC-F looks are definitely interesting.

It costs twice as much as a Mustang for the same specs on paper so quite a bit of a premium to pay for it as well.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
The RC-F looks are definitely interesting.

It costs twice as much as a Mustang for the same specs on paper so quite a bit of a premium to pay for it as well.
It does cost a pretty penny, but unlike the mustang it has exceptional quality, materials, and fitment to go with the performance.

I worked in the Toyota factory in Kentucky for a little while, and on some trips saw the quality control and scrutiny that Lexus designated parts receive, and it is mind blowing. On body panels, if a plastic bumper itself has even the slightest swirl in it from the injection molding, it's rejected and scrapped. For something you would never even see once it's painted over lol. It's like that with every component and assembly process.
Sponsored