Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

gotboost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow
Just got off chat. Now they are saying 8/30/16 but no idea of gains. I guess they have their priorities.......
Sponsored

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
They are still working on it though. It'll come this stuff just takes time Ford Performance has many projects they are working on and since this was 50 state legal. In a time when companies are cheating emissions I'm sure there were some delays getting this CARB approved.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Just got off chat. Now they are saying 8/30/16 but no idea of gains. I guess they have their priorities.......
No idea of gains? It's stated on their website of the GT gains at least.

gotboost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow
I do get it. I don't remember these constant delays regarding 350hp tune for the 350 HP Focus RS (also 2.3L). I just see a constant moving of goal posts while they release tunes for both the Focus and GT (you could even count the Monutune Fiesta). To me they are sending a signal they consider the EB and V6 Mustangs bottom feeders when it comes to performance. Even the 2017 Fusion Sport is getting a TT V-6. So again, I guess they have their priorities.......

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
About frigging time they have a release date, now hopefully they can stick to it!

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
About frigging time they have a release date, now hopefully they can stick to it!
They have been giving dates for the last year on the EB. Ford Performance does not make their own hardware for their tunes. They are at the mercy to whom they contract to which is why I think the delay.

gotboost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow
Read the last paragraph. There is hope still:

Ford Performance Parts releases the first of three Mustang GT Power Packs
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Owners of 2015-2017 Mustang GTs who have been waiting for a naturally aspirated power package from the factory can start to rejoice. Ford Performance Parts has just released the first of three Power Packs for the latest 5.0-liter Mustangs and the other two are on the way in short order.

The entry-level Power Pack 1 (PN M-9603-M8; $539) just became available and it includes a high-flow K&N panel air filter for the stock airbox and a specially engineered calibration that is said to deliver peak gains of 13 horsepower and 16 lb-ft of torque, while picking up as much as 40 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm.

This is a true performance calibration that delivers full performance during shifts with the loud pedal to the floor on manual-trans cars and optimized shift schedules on auto cars. Either configuration allows rearend gear ratio changes of up to 4.09:1. Moreover these cals work with 91-octane or better fuels and carry a warranty.

To find out more about the benefits of this Power Pack—and the upcoming stage 2 and 3 packs—we spoke with Ford Performance Parts’ Drag Racing Parts and Competition Manager Jesse Kershaw about what goes into these calibration and hardware packages.

“There are several stages of development. It starts by laying out the functions and determining if those can be done with only calibration or if there are software changes needed as well,” Jesse explained. Often calibration can get it done but we opt to make software enhancements because it’s more robust. Changing software is something only Ford can do. Calibration is like changing the document, software is changing the program you’re seeing the document in.”

Having the ability to create new software definitely gives Ford Performance the power to add new features and facets to its calibrations, but no matter how involved the changes are they must all be tested to the same type of standards that a factory calibration would undergo.

“From there we start to write software and base calibration. Once we feel we’ve got a basic grasp we will take in to the climate chamber. This allows our calibrators to map across different temperatures and pressures for the various driving conditions expected, from the great north to the desert,” he said.

Once the performance side of things is programmed, it is crucial for Ford Performance to ensure that its calibrations also meet today’s emissions standards.

“After the calibration team is convinced we are dialed-in we may run durability or we may go right to emissions testing. Usually we will run both simultaneously because the certification process can be very long,” Jesse said. “Often we will use a third party facility that specialized in writing CARB submissions and reports to save time. However these facilities are pricy and difficult to schedule so we will run a pre-test sequence in a Ford lab to make sure we’re on target. If we’re not it’s back to the drawing board.”

When Ford Performance wraps its testing, the calibrations are submitted for testing by the California Air Resources Board while it continues hardware durability testing. The approval process for a CARB executive order usually takes about 90 days, which is also time for the in-house hardware testing to wrap. Once it all comes together the packages go on sale like the Power Pack 1 just did.

“The big benefits for PP1 is that it’s emissions legal, has the Ford Performance Warranty when installed by an authorized installer such as a dealer, and allows the customer to change their gear ratio which I know hasn’t been easy with the new cars,” Jesse said. “It also makes respectable pickups in horsepower and torque, especially low-end.”

If you want even more power courtesy of more hardware, you’ll have to wait a bit longer, but Ford Performance Parts is wrapping up the development of Power Pack 2 and 3 for the 2015-2017 Mustang GT. The former includes a GT350 cold air intake, a GT350 throttle body, and a throttle body adapter. It is available with (PN M-9603-M8A) and without (PN M-9603-M50) a calibration. If you chose the calibration this combo is said to deliver a whopping gain of 40 lb-ft of torque at 1,500 rpm while producing peak-to-peak gains of 21 horsepower and 24 lb-ft of torque. It will also carry a CARB EO number and is said to begin shipping on September 30.

For even bigger gains, the Power Pack 3 (PN M-9452-M8) is set to release on Halloween and it includes the aforementioned CAI and throttle body paired with the GT350 intake manifold. Combined with the CARB-legal calibration this package is said to deliver peak-to-peak gains of 37 horsepower and 5 lb-ft of torque, but it really sings at 7,500 where it picks up 60 horsepower.

The Mustang GT systems are just the beginning for the Ford Performance team. Next up is a Power Pack for the turbo-four.

“An EcoBoost Mustang cal with our new cold-air kit is on the cusp of being released,” Jesse added. “It uses a modified GT350 airbox so it looks OE and picks up significant horsepower and big torque similar to what we gain on the Focus ST calibration.”

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
Looks like something is coming soon... Ford Racing dropped part numbers for the cold air kits.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...mustang-ecoboost-cold-intake-with-p-3260.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/mobile/ford-racing-mustang-ecoboost-cold-intake-p-3261.html

Fits 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT with 2.3L engine
Includes GT350 open element airbox with proprietary inlet housing.
Uses production air hose from inlet to turbocharger making for a quick and easy installation.
For kit with exclusive CARB Legal Ford Performance calibration, see Part Number M-9603-M4

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Looks like something is coming soon... Ford Racing dropped part numbers for the cold air kits.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...mustang-ecoboost-cold-intake-with-p-3260.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/mobile/ford-racing-mustang-ecoboost-cold-intake-p-3261.html

Uses production air hose from inlet to turbocharger making for a quick and easy installation.
For kit with exclusive CARB Legal Ford Performance calibration, see Part Number M-9603-M4
This CAI is very interesting, and if priced competitively, could make for a very nice upgrade! Thanks for updating us on this. :headbang:

Update: It looks like the MSRP is set for $399.

Sponsored

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
Update: It looks like the MSRP is set for $399.[/QUOTE]

ouch. so the CAI + the calibration has to be quite a bit. :doh:

jdanna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost pp
Oh man this makes me happy. I've been waiting anxiously for this since I got my car.
Hopefully the ecoboost tune gets the fun goodies the GT does, like the flat foot shifting.

Really hoping it will have better throttle mapping, since I have a base PP car and I cant put it into sport+ mode like the premiums can.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT

That has been listed since I bought my EB. It was listed even before I bought my EB (when I was looking at what the tuning potential was). I decided to go with Livernois after spending countless hours looking at failures of EB engines, the tunes / mods that were used and what failed on the most obscure recesses of the internet...phew.

The biggest number of failures by far seem to be the 2.0L in the Focus ST next to the F-150's. Most of the F-150 failures are related to the condensate issue in the IC however, resulting in hydro lock and cracked heads. Now that doesn't mean the 2.0L the least reliable of the EB engines, but rather it seems to be one of the most heavily modded (and unsafely modded) as it's a more practical higher volume car than the mustang, a little better on gas and cheaper. There are a few failures with the Fiesta ST as well, but not too many and again, were tuned and resulted in the knock related failures mentioned in the paragraph below (although it's possible a few were also factory manufacturing defects waiting to happen aka infant mortality issues which would have occurred shortly even on factory PCM software).

The Focus ST failure thread listed a surprisingly high number of Cobb Stage 3 OtS tunes and most of the failure modes were crack heads, rings and wrist pins (maybe a bearing here and there which falls into the same failure cause category). No, I'm not suggest it's necessarily Cobb's fault, but it may introduce additional risk, it's hard to say, but there were a notably large occurrence of Stage 3 tunes and cracked heads / failed rings. There was maybe 1 bent rod which is a sign of engine power limits where the aforementioned failures are primarily related to knock / super knock, which is the primary cause of failure. This is especially true since the heads are not forged, making them the most susceptible to failure, which there have been several occurrences on even bone stock engines in all of the EB's (however these are even more rare than the few tune related failures).

Add that to the fact I actually spoke with Livernois on the phone and asked the following specific questions (and answers):

1. Is there an issue with the catalyst over temp as Ford Racing documented with an un-named aftermarket tune in the ST's? Livernois: No, our software does not push any of the stock components beyond their factory limits in any of our EB software.

2. Do you de-sensitize or in any way alter any of the factor PCM safeguards, including knock sensors to push higher power limits? Livernois: No, every factory safeguard is fully intact, in fact we actually add further safeguards which are not present in the OEM PCM software. (this is probably a very significant contributing factory as to their track record with the EB).

3. Do you increase the boost pressure beyond factory maximums as some of the aftermarket tunes do? Livernois: No, exceeding the factory boost limits would lead to engine failure. (I do not think they are suggesting it will immediately lead to such occurances, but your taking a gamble and there's several 2015 EB owners out there that can attest and maybe 1 or 2 2016 EB owners now too).

I'd like to add that they stated they are full R&D development partners with Ford Moto Co., Ford Racing and one other related to Ford, but I forget what it was. It was my understanding they actually worked with Ford to help develop the factory software but to Ford's specifications...unless I was misinterpreting what they were saying. At the very least it was clear they are full R&D partners with both Ford and Ford Racing, again, why their track record is so good.

If you want a highly reliable oem type of tune alternative to Ford Racing, Livernois is it. Other than going with car specific shop tunes like Tune+, I don't think you can match the track record. What you won't get however is all the extra goodies like live data read outs etc. However you can get quite a bit of that information from plug in blue tooth OBDII modules that cost $20, several of them also log data s well if your curious. And you also get free tunes for life from Livernois if you make any modifications or can request they change certain parameters as long as they don't fall outside the safety limits, in which case they will refuse.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
That has been listed since I bought my EB. It was listed even before I bought my EB (when I was looking at what the tuning potential was). I decided to go with Livernois after spending countless hours looking at failures of EB engines, the tunes / mods that were used and what failed on the most obscure recesses of the internet...phew.

The biggest number of failures by far seem to be the 2.0L in the Focus ST next to the F-150's. Most of the F-150 failures are related to the condensate issue in the IC however, resulting in hydro lock and cracked heads. Now that doesn't mean the 2.0L the least reliable of the EB engines, but rather it seems to be one of the most heavily modded (and unsafely modded) as it's a more practical higher volume car than the mustang, a little better on gas and cheaper. There are a few failures with the Fiesta ST as well, but not too many and again, were tuned and resulted in the knock related failures mentioned in the paragraph below (although it's possible a few were also factory manufacturing defects waiting to happen aka infant mortality issues which would have occurred shortly even on factory PCM software).

The Focus ST failure thread listed a surprisingly high number of Cobb Stage 3 OtS tunes and most of the failure modes were crack heads, rings and wrist pins (maybe a bearing here and there which falls into the same failure cause category). No, I'm not suggest it's necessarily Cobb's fault, but it may introduce additional risk, it's hard to say, but there were a notably large occurrence of Stage 3 tunes and cracked heads / failed rings. There was maybe 1 bent rod which is a sign of engine power limits where the aforementioned failures are primarily related to knock / super knock, which is the primary cause of failure. This is especially true since the heads are not forged, making them the most susceptible to failure, which there have been several occurrences on even bone stock engines in all of the EB's (however these are even more rare than the few tune related failures).

Add that to the fact I actually spoke with Livernois on the phone and asked the following specific questions (and answers):

1. Is there an issue with the catalyst over temp as Ford Racing documented with an un-named aftermarket tune in the ST's? Livernois: No, our software does not push any of the stock components beyond their factory limits in any of our EB software.

2. Do you de-sensitize or in any way alter any of the factor PCM safeguards, including knock sensors to push higher power limits? Livernois: No, every factory safeguard is fully intact, in fact we actually add further safeguards which are not present in the OEM PCM software. (this is probably a very significant contributing factory as to their track record with the EB).

3. Do you increase the boost pressure beyond factory maximums as some of the aftermarket tunes do? Livernois: No, exceeding the factory boost limits would lead to engine failure. (I do not think they are suggesting it will immediately lead to such occurances, but your taking a gamble and there's several 2015 EB owners out there that can attest and maybe 1 or 2 2016 EB owners now too).

I'd like to add that they stated they are full R&D development partners with Ford Moto Co., Ford Racing and one other related to Ford, but I forget what it was. It was my understanding they actually worked with Ford to help develop the factory software but to Ford's specifications...unless I was misinterpreting what they were saying. At the very least it was clear they are full R&D partners with both Ford and Ford Racing, again, why their track record is so good.

If you want a highly reliable oem type of tune alternative to Ford Racing, Livernois is it. Other than going with car specific shop tunes like Tune+, I don't think you can match the track record. What you won't get however is all the extra goodies like live data read outs etc. However you can get quite a bit of that information from plug in blue tooth OBDII modules that cost $20, several of them also log data s well if your curious. And you also get free tunes for life from Livernois if you make any modifications or can request they change certain parameters as long as they don't fall outside the safety limits, in which case they will refuse.

Great post and info, but it's not an alternative to the ford racing tune because you don't get a factory warranty to back it up. The only real reason I would believe anyone would go with the ford procal tune is for the assurance of a warranty. That being said, if warranty wasn't a consideration, then tune + would prob be best overall tuner if your talking about overall power and TQ numbers and the reliability of the accesport tuner. Ty for the info, as always!
Sponsored