Sponsored

2016 GT Manual - Clunking noise from the rear

MidBlack5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2016 GT Manual, 65k Kms on the odo. Never thrashed, never tracked. Mods Installed JLT CAI and a Borla S-type Cat-back exhaust.

Been noticing a clunking noise while de-clutching upon engaging reverse and first gear. The noise appears as soon as I hit the clutch bite-point, before getting on accelerator. Its a very peculiar noise.

Got the car checked at the dealer, unfortunately they were unable to diagnose the exact issue, and thought that the best solution was to re-torque all the differential bolts.

The noise is not fixed everytime I let go of the clutch, it seems to appear mostly when the car gets hot after a long drive.

Please help if anyone has a solution to this issue. The noise is stuck in my head and haunting my dreams :mad:

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
That sounds just like what my car did...had an MGW since new, and at about 30,000 miles, I started hearing a high RPM rattle from the trans coming up through the shifter. At about 45,000 miles, the "clunk" started - that was about one year ago...the clunk got worse for about ten thousand miles, and went away at around 55,000 miles - I never looked into what or why. Transmission rattle got worse, louder, more pronounced, vibrating like crazy. At 60-65K 1st gear and 2nd gear became harder and harder to shift into. I lost the ability to shift into 1st & 2nd as the ODO hit 66K - new parts on the way as we speak...

No idea what was/is actually wrong with my transmission...scrapping the MT82 completely and going with a Tremec.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
My 17 does this occasionally. More so when it’s cold but it seems to be less than it was a month ago. My car has around 7800 miles on it. Drives great otherwise. I quit worrying about it for the time being. Some say it’s the E-Brake making the noise.

Sera550

#5pointohmy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
My rear end will clack almost every time I shift from a forward gear to a rearward gear. Started around 5k, I believe. It was written off as normal according to my service center.
Sponsored