Sponsored

Got a higher stall converter? Please come in :)

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks,
My question is simply this: For those of you that DD your 5.0, what have been the biggest benefits of the stall in your daily commute?

I had a stalled auto in a 2002 Z28 and loved it and it was daily driven. (Made about .4 tenths difference at the 1/8th mile with tires.) I know the 5.0's are just a bit off on torque on the lower end and I am curious if the stall changed that experience much with the additional rpm and shift extension. I realize that some of this depends on how aggressive that you are with the throttle but I'm just looking for general impressions. Thanks!!
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have a Circle D 245mm 2C which is 3200-3400 stall. Not the highest but higher than stock.

I don't track my car at all, just daily and drive it hard in Mexico. The converter definitely made the car feel alot different. I wouldn't say it made it feel alot faster in my personal experience, but it helps the engine get up in RPM quicker. Hard to explain, but it feels as if the engine "defaults" to a higher RPM automatically if that makes any sense. So in turn it did feel like it gained some speed in the early RPMs.

Again, it feels much different in all respects. You can feel the converter lock and unlock all the time, which almost feels like a shift. So you can pretend you have a 10 speed :lol: It also feels much different under WOT and part-throttle. It will hit the shift point and then lock/unlock (not sure which one tbh), rpms will drop some and then go up again until it shifts. Keeps you in the powerband longer.

On the daily side of things, if you have a loud exhaust and your trying to be quiet, the converter makes this hell lol. At low throttle it takes more to get the car moving, so it revs higher than it would stock when trying to go slow and keep quiet. Other than that I have no complaints. If I tracked my car I'm sure I would see more benefits too. I only upgraded mine because I broke the stock converter (around 650whp at the time).

Stangrcr67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium, 1992 mustang lx 5.0
I have a circle d 245mm 4c and daily drive it quite bit daily. drove from Louisville KY down to Gatlinburg TN and back and no issues. I track quite a bit and go to Mexico often. Only regret is not going 5c since I've stayed NA longer than I planned.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 5c on a Procharger D1x and its a street /strip car. Its well mannered on the street and an animal wot.. i have yet to hit the track.. when you drive it you can feel it has a stall speed but its easy to live with!!

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I have a circle d 245mm 4c and daily drive it quite bit daily. drove from Louisville KY down to Gatlinburg TN and back and no issues. I track quite a bit and go to Mexico often. Only regret is not going 5c since I've stayed NA longer than I planned.
What mods do you have?

You and a few other people have said that they wished they would have gone 5c.

My car will have a CJ IM, on E85 Flex fuel AED tune, and Roush x pipe and axle back.

Next 2 mods I plan on are MAK cat deletes and a converter then L&M cams.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your input!

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I agree with everything said so far and will add that I enjoy the way the car drives with a looser converter over stock. You get more rpms and more exhaust note with less throttle input and can kind of rev it up without the car moving much if you are careful. If you have ever driven a car with a CVT transmission it feel very similar to that.

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
Just installed circle d 4c last Wednesday. Going to Orlando Saturday. Previous best was 12.46 @ 110.8 with 1.865 60 foot. I'll post back over the weekend. That will give you a solid idea of what it's worth time wise. Butt wise it's awesome. I really like that it locks up. Once I hit about 35 to 40 it's just like stock. 50 to 100 roll on is fun as hell. Car is na. From a dig without drag radials it's a smokefest.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed circle d 4c last Wednesday. Going to Orlando Saturday. Previous best was 12.46 @ 110.8 with 1.865 60 foot. I'll post back over the weekend. That will give you a solid idea of what it's worth time wise. Butt wise it's awesome. I really like that it locks up. Once I hit about 35 to 40 it's just like stock. 50 to 100 roll on is fun as hell. Car is na. From a dig without drag radials it's a smokefest.
Sweet, look forward to your results. What is your N/A combo?

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
17 gt base Ruby red with blackout. Borla type s catback, torsen diff with 4.09 gears. GT 350 Cai stock tb, vmp tune. BMR diff lockout, cradle lockout, and lca bushings, One pc alum driveshaft. Just installed 4c converter.

Sponsored

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Converter for me is worth 3 tenths and 2 mph in quarter. Launch is awesome. Still working with tuner seems to be pulling timing.
Definitely the best performance mods so far.
Car 12

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Converter for me is worth 3 tenths and 2 mph in quarter. Launch is awesome. Still working with tuner seems to be pulling timing.
Definitely the best performance mods so far.
Car 12
Nice pick up...if its pulling timing then it may net you a bit more?

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
i am one who regrets not going 5c also, i have a GT350 IM so that may have something to do with it?

I went from 11.9 with 1.85 60' to 11.64 with 1.64 60' and i think it has a little more in it

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I will go against the grain here and say my circle d 3c is annoying. I is great at the track but it feels like the transmission is slipping when pulling off at light throttle. It is especially bad when going up hill at light throttle. On the highway or out of third gear it is fine.
Sponsored