Sponsored

I need honesty and not fanboys

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
“Fix or repair daily”? On a Ford site? I would have appreciate it more if you choose another set of words. But since nobody else has chastised you then no need for me to make a big deal of it.

Buying a 35k+ automobile doesn’t make sense if you don’t like it. Hell for some that amounts of money isn’t worth paying for a car period. Let alone one your not convinced you liked. You didn’t buy the Camao because you wanted it, you seem to purchase it because your test drive experience wasn’t what you expected on the Mustang. The repair issues only make the matter worst. Dump the SS. If your gonna be paying for something that is depreciating you might as well like the thing. I would not let your mantinance problems alone be the cause for moving away from a Camaro to a Mustang. As stated there are bad apples with every make. But if you really don’t like the Camao there is no reason to continue to pay so much for something you don’t LOVE. Or at least like a whole lot lol.
Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, as someone fairly new here (and a Camaro owner), this thread is very refreshing. I have owned many Mustangs and a few GM cars. All have had their glitches but all have served me well. I have been a fanboy in the past but I now simply appreciate each one for what it brings to the table.

Your position is understandable and it doesn't sound like you are "in love" with your Camaro. In light of that, it would be good for you to test drive a couple of GT's, just to fill in some missing blanks and overcome a potential bad experience. On the other hand, as someone has already mentioned, if you went the route of swapping cars, its probably going to be costly. At the end of the day, you are the one driving the car and you should do what best fits your needs/desires/responsibilities.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey guys, I own a 2016 Camaro 2SS...
First welcome to the site.

Brand A, B, C or D - they all have issues, whether reported to X-Forums, or spread by word of mouth, or documented by X-magazine - every vehicle is bound to have some sort of issues in its lineage. Some have more issues than others.

My prior 2016 EB Premium w/PP was just recently replaced by Ford with a 2018 EB Premium w/PP. The prior 2016 had issues, I TRIED to hold out and keep the car, as I really liked everything about it - but the major driveline vibe (and MULTIPLE attempts to repair) and other minute warranty repairs was the deciding factor in a necessary replacement for me. It was not an ordeal I’d want anyone to go through and yes, it was extremely frustrating dealing with the constant Dealer Service Center visits, the constant “oh it’s fixed”, drive it a few thousand miles and whammy, the issue resurfaced again, and again and again.... until it got to the point the car was in the shop more visits than a standard 5k oil change interval...

Even though my 2016 was replaced with a 2018, that whole process was initiated by me and completed by me - without any BBB Autoline process and without an Attorney. It was not “oh, here ya go, here’s a new Ford for your troubles”.... it was WORK and it was FRUSTRATING. But guess what, who was gonna make me whole? The internet? The Dealership? Some “joe” off the street? Friends? Family?

YOU have to make the decision to do what you need to do in order to not only be happy, but to try and turn that frustration into something positive.

I know where you are at with the SS with it’s quirks or issues - but there’s only so much one can take and it’s not enjoyable with ANY vehicle when most of us spend more time driving distance and being unhappy in that problematic vehicle. Folks who have not had to deal with EXCESSIVE warranty work don’t understand, folks who have not had ANY issues with their purchase don’t understand and folks who think it’s just as easy as wiping your hands free of the vehicle with trading in or selling outright - that’s even more of a financial hit EVEN if the owner has the cash or paid cash, because it’s ALWAYS a monetary loss in the end.

I don’t know a thing about Chevy or GM Warranty, Customer Service, or their Buy Back (Vehicle Reacquirement Program, if one exists) - but if I were you I would research your State’s Lemon Law Program as well as what Chevy or GM has to offer in support of genuine Customer Service for such issues. You might be surprised and could get resolution far faster and better than dealing with the Dealership OR you could try going the route of Lemoning the thing. The only note to mention of the Lemon Law is it is different in every State and some states have mileage stipulations where if the vehicle is over xx,xxxx miles, you’re SOL and the only recourse is to sell it off.

Tire issues:
IMO, tires issues are not really a warranty or Manufacturer issue. Every tire situation is different and with most vehicles now with front and rear independent suspensions, tire alignment is more important than anything. Also, we all know that REAR tires on a REAR WHEEL DRIVE PERFORMANCE CAR will definitely wear faster, period. Don’t kid yourself - it’s a fact since the first RWD car could burn rubber... even if you don’t hear the squeal and have massive amounts of smoke, you’re still wearing those tires under torque when taking off from standing stops and traffic lights, let alone the weekend races. Almost every single brand of tire has complaints for “premature” wear... hit up any tire forum, any website online etc - even whatever is current “BEST” tire in the universe has complaints.

Rim issue:
Report it to the NHTSA if it’s a safety concern. If it’s a know concern within GM or Chevy, have someone pull the SCM/GSB or TSB on it so you can go to the Dealership with FACTS and/or call GM/CHEVY Customer Service to lodge your complaint and see if they will get you replacements on THEIR dime.

Here’s the options you really have if you’re looking to get out from under the car, whether it’s the SS or ANY other brand:

1) Get the nuts up and battle directly with GM/Chevy and provide proof of your problems with documented service orders and or anything else to back your complaints. Your Dealership is a Franchise, just like many - you won’t get leverage with them OR any other Dealership.

2) Contact the BBB Autoline and start a complaint process to see where that will get you.

3) Lemon it. Research your Lemon Laws, know what your rights are and what penalties (if any) would be applicable, such as mileage use, any other fees or money out of pocket owed due to use of the collateral.

4) Sell it outright. Hope to recoup as much $$$$ as possible to either break even, or come out above a potential loss.

5) Trade it in. Hope there is enough equity in the vehicle so you’re not screwed with having to cough up more cash OR having to roll forward remaining loan balance into the new loan.

6) Keep it, live with it and work out the kinks yourself. Sometimes this works for folks who are mechanically inclined or just don’t want to deal with 1-5 above. Sure it sucks, but no one made the decision but yourself.

None of the above is to preach or to tell you what to do - it’s all merely to offer you advice and to say, not all vehicles OR vehicle Manufacturers are without faults.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I have been quite hard on my 2015 ecoboost and my 2017 GT blasting through the incredibly dilapidated and pot-hole ridden stop-and-go streets of Baltimore city, and both have held up admirably. If its any insight to my driving, I average the city mileage rating plus 1 or 2 mpg, in my combined city/highway driving. The GT has a funny driveline noise at low speed lugging but the car has ran consistently. I popped several tires but that is more of an issue of rampat potholes and my driving style, none of which have actually bent rims at all. Havent had a flat since I started running bigger sidewalls. My only gripes with the car is manual reclining seats, which is a features deficit and not a reliability issue.

I do about 15-20k miles a year, majority city but a fair amount of highway.

Fix Or Repair Daily is garbage. Whoever recommended you try a Chevy over a Ford for reliability is a flat out moron fanboy. If you want bulletproof reliability go to Honda or Toyota. That being said I have had no issues with Fords in the last 7 years. My pops has an econoline that he beats the spit out of, ive had multiple focus's and mustangs. No major issues, nothing like you mentioned. Brakes have been stellar in both cars. Also, why are you running summer tires in the winter? I DD mine and thats asking for trouble

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I don’t know if anyone said this but if he is really considering jumping ship to Mustang land simply scanning over our forums would tell him everything he needs to know. No fanboy trickery there. You will get the truth lurking around. For example I found out my oil leaks in my LT1 were legendary. Later when I signed up in the Corvette forums I was told that was something you just had to live with. But that was old news by then.

Sponsored

wangfuco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT PP
13500 miles. No problems except that I'm saying goodbye to my stock clutch.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I can safely say the base gt brakes are great and saved me before . Had a guy pull out in front of me and if it wasn't for the beefy brakes it would have been a collision.

I'm not really sure fanboy either as my dream car is a Vette grand sport. But I have to say I've had my gt for about 2 years it has 10k miles and I haven't had the slightest issue.

I also want to stress that I don't drive my car often but when I do I drive it hard and it has spent a good chunk of it's life at 4k rpm or above.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope you get some better car soon! Whether or not that's a mustang is a big choice!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can safely say the base gt brakes are great and saved me before . Had a guy pull out in front of me and if it wasn't for the beefy brakes it would have been a collision.

I'm not really sure fanboy either as my dream car is a Vette grand sport.
Slightly off topic but here is some advice. Join your local Corvette club. Go to the meets even without a Vette and start talking and getting to know people. Some of the old timers may give you what you want at a fantastic price because you are not a business transaction but a fellow club member. Avoid their “Dyno Days”; most are too timid for that and the ones that show up beat on their cars.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
2013 GT - Many little build issues at the beginning, top latch broke, door window out of line, etc. All fixed under warranty. Then the lower control arms started squeaking, and they were replaced under warranty. The the end links on the rear sway bar went out, and repaired under warranty. All this before 15K miles. There have been no major issues with the car, and up to now at 41K miles the car has been a joy to drive.
I had a '13 bought new in may 2013, the build date I believe was in early january. Put about 25k miles before selling. Only issue was the Takata airbag. Car never went to the shop. Had two sets of suspension on it, Whiteline upper control arm, forgestar wheels (265front/295 rear pilot super sports, 2nd best mod), mgw shifter (best mod). So the car was modded and driven/launched hard. Solid car.
Oh yeah, one of the license plate lights went out.

My '13 was a solid car, no major issues that needed dealership work. (besides takata airbag).
OP, if things are fine with the car I would keep and pay off then see what 2019 or even 2020 brings for the Camaro or mustang.

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
2016 GT PP here. 2 Full autocross seasons, regionals, and track days. 16k miles. Only thing I have done to it maintenance wise is normal fluid changes and tires. Had an annoying rattle from the glove box area for about 6 weeks...turned out to be a pen, go figure.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
2016 GT PP here. 2 Full autocross seasons, regionals, and track days. 16k miles. Only thing I have done to it maintenance wise is normal fluid changes and tires. Had an annoying rattle from the glove box area for about 6 weeks...turned out to be a pen, go figure.
Haha, had a similar issue with speaker rattle in my passenger door. I discovered my wife had stashed her sunglasses in the door pocket.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, had a similar issue with speaker rattle in my passenger door. I discovered my wife had stashed her sunglasses in the door pocket.
Buddy had a 4th gen Camaro SS he ordered new. Tons of power / handling mods. He loved the car, but he had an intermittent rattle that about drove him crazy. It would come and go and it appeared to be coming from the passenger door. Flash forward a year or more and I was helping him upgrade the sound system. Pulled the passenger door panel off and a disposable lighter fell out. :lol:

Like I said he was the only owner of the car - so no telling how it got there.

15Romeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
2016 ruby red GT premium with 14k miles, no issues in fact the only time it’s been back to the dealer is for service. But I will say if you go with the manual the MT-82 leaves a lot to be desired. The auto is bad ass though.
Sponsored