Sponsored

Resale value....ouch

Ash1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Shelby GT350 Race Red
Its obvious cars depreciate and our mustangs are no different. That being said, using Carmax as a reference is completely useless. There offer to buy is a marketing gimmick to get u in the door, nothing more. They will obviously buy anyones vehicle at a fire sale price much like a pawn broker. If he wanted a true value hed go back to a ford dealer and get a value for trading up.
True. I traded in my 2015 premium with 13k for $25,000 and thatā€™s with accident when I hit a deer late in 2016.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Its obvious cars depreciate and our mustangs are no different. That being said, using Carmax as a reference is completely useless. There offer to buy is a marketing gimmick to get u in the door, nothing more. They will obviously buy anyones vehicle at a fire sale price much like a pawn broker. If he wanted a true value hed go back to a ford dealer a nd get a value for trading up.
The guy below took his seven month old EcoBoost to a dealer and got 50% of the carā€™s original sticker price. That is worse than CarMax (surprise - surprise). This guy almost strangled the guy at the dealership. I canā€™t get enough of these videos, better than watching The Walking Dead:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]HereZInNXfo[/MEDIA]"]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 6MT
I sold my 2015 base GT 6mt last may after a little over two years of ownership and 40k miles. Price before taxes and gap etc was 32,900 I think. Traded it in on a Honda CR-V for family reasons and it brought 22k. Stings a little but thought that was fair for a base model with 40k miles. Bottom line is that cars typically depreciate in value.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Well, the way I see it; the balance on my loan is less than it's current trade-in value so I figure I'm winning on that. Thanks to buying the car and paying for it for the last two years, my Credit score is also in the 800's now.

Plus, I have a Mustang.

Don't really see much to be unhappy about.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
No one gets in the car value scheme that they sell at retail, and buy at wholesale prices, you can't possibly equate that to "resale" value and that's just part of the perceived drop in value. And, only an idiot thinks that they can trade a car @ < 36 months on a 60 month note and think that they can even break even on a trade.

Most of you need to lease and dump it at 24-36 months. Think of it for what it is: a depreciating asset that loses value every month that you *own* it, with an offset of escalating maintenance costs past about 48 months of ownership.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Depreciation doesnt bother me as I have no intention of getting rid of my '16 anytime soon, or possibly ever. I buy stuff to hang on to it. The last 4 vehicles I have purchased, I still have 3 of them, and none of them (besides the '16) were bought after 2006. The only one I dont have is the one I traded in on the 2016, and I had owned it since 2003. So unless my Mustang starts to become a mechanical liability, it's not going anywhere.
Oh, and it's actually "better" for me if the car loses it's value so I dont have to pay so dam**d much property tax on it every year. LOL

I'm with you I bought my car with every intention of keeping her till the day I die.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
yeah and once you do a power-adder, it will really tank. But as others have said, I don't plan on letting mine go for quite a while.

Just like all the motorcycles in my garage, I buy them, pay them off and keep'em. they only cost some insurance at that point really. Will be the same for the Mustang. The ONLY real cost I will have is building a new F'n garage to put the next car in ;)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Interesting post. You enjoy watching videos about the misfortune of others?

The guy below took his seven month old EcoBoost to a dealer and got 50% of the carā€™s original sticker price. That is worse than CarMax (surprise - surprise). This guy almost strangled the guy at the dealership. I canā€™t get enough of these videos, better than watching The Walking Dead:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I do the same thing.

yeah and once you do a power-adder, it will really tank. But as others have said, I don't plan on letting mine go for quite a while.

Just like all the motorcycles in my garage, I buy them, pay them off and keep'em. they only cost some insurance at that point really. Will be the same for the Mustang. The ONLY real cost I will have is building a new F'n garage to put the next car in ;)

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
This thread didn't age well.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Funny how quickly things can change, LOL. Dumping the '19 for profit, 2 years later, and ordering a '22 was such a sound decision.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Funny how quickly things can change, LOL. Dumping the '19 for profit, 2 years later, and ordering a '22 was such a sound decision.
Dumping my '19 for a profit along with a second car, and picking up a cheap car to drive while I eliminate debt has been the best thing I have ever done. I sold two cars and lowered my car loan debt from nearly $60k to below $20k, which freed up money to pay off a bunch of stuff that had gotten out of hand. In a couple months, I will have zero credit card debt, then I will double up on my car payments until it is paid off. I can finally breathe.
Sponsored