Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
Bullshit, yes it is.

You either have to lower your seat virtually to the floor and all the way back to give yourself any kind of head room and comfort if you're over about 5'9 or so. At that point to rest your arm on the door top you're perching it up at some unnatural angle.

If you're shorter, like my wife is (5'5") you have to jack the seat up to see over the dash, at which point your head is restricted due to the roofline and you're still out of a proper ergonomic position.

I'm 6'3 and the Camaro is not a comfortable car, period. Is it a good performer? Yeah of course it is..but the performance is irrelevant if it's a bitch to be in.
I'm 5'10" and I am totally comfortable in the Camaro. I even made sure my 8 year old can sit comfortably behind me when needed. Comfort level is going to be subjective because some people will prefer the higher seating position of the Mustang. In your instance of being 6'3" I can see how you would prefer the Mustang, I can also see how you'd have to lower your head just to see the traffic light when stopped at an intersection due to the lower roof line of the Camaro. I read all the reviews about visibility and space, and really thought The Mustang would win me over based on those. When I test drove both cars I found to those claims to be overstated. But again, that's my opinion.

You've made excellent points.

But you will never convince the Chevy guy because he's already invested in the brand. Nevertheless, there's a reason why Mustang sales continually exceeds Camaro sales.

And here are the reasons why ...
It's not visibility, it's the looks of the car. Consider the amount of cars sold, maybe 10% of people do any kind of real cross shopping, or researching into data, or subscribing to a mag that does reviews of the vehicle, or are even members of a car forum. Vast majority want a muscle/pony/sports car and want the one that looks the best, I'm sure many on this forum can attest to that. And the Mustang wins in that department IMO. I still love the way my 1LE looks with the overall package, and the Camaro isn't a bad looking car overall, but trim level for trim level there's no denying it, Mustang is the better looker.
Agreed, I don't think the Camaro interior looks "futuristic" at all... it all looks and feels cheap, and the ergonomics are awful (Not to mention, it just isn't aesthetically pleasing). Like the Hand vents and the downward angled infotainment screen, WTF??
I honestly think you should spend a few days in a Camaro and not only will you appreciate the layout of the infotainment system, but you'll also understand why the screen is faced that way. It's actually perfect for the car's seating position and avoids all glare, and it's one of the best in the business from the tech standpoint. The complaint about the interior feeling cheap is also unfounded, there's a price point to be met, you have to keep that in mind. All the parts you get your hands on (even in the 1SS) are nice to the touch, just like in the Mustang. If anything my complaint would be to Ford as to why someone has to stare at a calculator in their center dash when paying $36k for a vehicle.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly think you should spend a few days in a Camaro and not only will you appreciate the layout of the infotainment system, but you'll also understand why the screen is faced that way. It's actually perfect for the car's seating position and avoids all glare, and it's one of the best in the business from the tech standpoint. The complaint about the interior feeling cheap is also unfounded, there's a price point to be met, you have to keep that in mind. All the parts you get your hands on (even in the 1SS) are nice to the touch, just like in the Mustang. If anything my complaint would be to Ford as to why someone has to stare at a calculator in their center dash when paying $36k for a vehicle.
I will say, I havenā€™t spent too much time in a Camaro, just a track day in a 1LE. However, I should also mention that Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€, so that could affect how I feel about the ergonomics. I understand why they made the screen like that, but for me and because of my seating position, it was still annoying to use. With the interior, I understand thereā€™s a price point, but I still feel like the 2018 mustang just has the higher quality interior for the same price. You have to remember, when I say ā€œcheapā€, Iā€™m using that relatively. I agree that Ford could offer a bigger screen for the base model, but if thatā€™s huge issue, you could always get a base 301a and still be *check my math here, not terribly confident with Camaro pricing* below the base price of a Camaro. I think Ford is good at offering a definitive base model for those who canā€™t afford all the luxuries in a V8

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Assuming you find both cars equally comfortable and livable.

The Camaro is dramatically less comfortable than any S550 Mustang, including the GT350.
Not to me. Iā€™ve driven a 1SS a few times. Itā€™s comfortable. The base camaro seats are more comfortable the base GT seats. I got a GT bc the price was better.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Bullshit, yes it is.

You either have to lower your seat virtually to the floor and all the way back to give yourself any kind of head room and comfort if you're over about 5'9 or so. At that point to rest your arm
Nonsense. Iā€™m 5ā€™10ā€. Owned a ā€˜17 1SS. I had to do none of this. Itā€™s more cramped than the Mustang with the small windshield closer to you but thatā€™s about it. Itā€™s easy to drive.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Bullshit, yes it is.

You either have to lower your seat virtually to the floor and all the way back to give yourself any kind of head room and comfort if you're over about 5'9 or so. At that point to rest your arm on the door top you're perching it up at some unnatural angle.

If you're shorter, like my wife is (5'5") you have to jack the seat up to see over the dash, at which point your head is restricted due to the roofline and you're still out of a proper ergonomic position.

I'm 6'3 and the Camaro is not a comfortable car, period. Is it a good performer? Yeah of course it is..but the performance is irrelevant if it's a bitch to be in.
They are a C6G troll FYI. Also said they struggled or something driving a GT :lol:

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
There are definitely some compromises with the Camaro ... No car can touch it in the $45Kish range.
The "compromises" make it a NO SALE to many buyers, thereby making it the least desirable car in the $45Kish range.

Go-Carts are fund to drive too, but I wouldn't touch one for a daily driver. Just sayin.
ouch

It's not visibility, it's the looks of the car.
It's not looks, it's the visibility+performance+looks of the car.

The Mustang remains alone in providing the total package.

I honestly think you should spend a few days in a Camaro ... If anything my complaint would be to Ford as to why someone has to stare at a calculator in their center dash when paying $36k for a vehicle.
I spent months in a new 2010 Camaro, because that's how long I had one. If anything, my complaint would be to Chevy as to why someone has to consistently remain several car lengths back from every stop light just so they can see it.

... Itā€™s easy to drive.
If you mean having poor external visibility makes it "easy to drive", then I guess yeah.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I've said it before, the visibility problem is part perception, part reality. I've had a Camaro rental for a few days. You can get used to the visibility problems fairly quickly, but fairly quickly means maybe a day or at least several hours of driving. To the sides you really don't need to see "down" so the high beltline doesn't really hurt you. Forward and up, yea, you have to duck to see the signal at some intersections. But the biggest problem is the first impression you get sitting down. It's like you're in a pill-box on Normandy beach. For most buyers who stroll into the local Chevy dealer thinking they might get a Camaro, that first impression is all they are going to get. You are not going to get used to the visibility in a 15 minute test drive.

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
I agree that Ford could offer a bigger screen for the base model, but if thatā€™s huge issue, you could always get a base 301a and still be *check my math here, not terribly confident with Camaro pricing* below the base price of a Camaro. I think Ford is good at offering a definitive base model for those who canā€™t afford all the luxuries in a V8
If you get the 301a it brings it to exactly the same price as a base Camaro SS, dollar for dollar. And at that price point you get a lot more out of the Camaro. Mustang is no longer the deal it used to be.

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
It's not looks, it's the visibility+performance+looks of the car.

The Mustang remains alone in providing the total package.
Looks are what draw people to the car. Yes there are many other variables as to why they choose a specific vehicle in the end (like PRICE being a major one you omitted). But more often than not, people buy based on first impression.
I spent months in a new 2010 Camaro, because that's how long I had one.
What does Gen5 have to do with the Gen6 which is far superior in every aspect?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What does Gen5 have to do with the Gen6 which is far superior in every aspect?
Superior in performance? Absolutely
Superior in ergonomics? Absolutely not

Chevy essentially kept the ergonomics of the 6th gen the same as the 5th gen, thinking that appeasing to 5th gen customers would get them more sales. That's also why the 6th gen looks so similar to the 5th gen, which is part of what contributes to the poor visibility

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
If you get the 301a it brings it to exactly the same price as a base Camaro SS, dollar for dollar. And at that price point you get a lot more out of the Camaro. Mustang is no longer the deal it used to be.
It's not. To get to the features of a 2SS you have to get a Premium GT, 401a package, the safe and secure package, etc, etc.

If someone just wants the cheapest V8 pony car the Mustang with no other features the Mustang still has the advantage. Once you start adding options though the 18 Mustang is no longer at a real advantage in terms of price.

Based on a number of ignorant comments throughout this thread it's pretty apparent many people who are bashing the Camaro have not actually driven one.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I've said it before, the visibility problem is part perception, part reality. I've had a Camaro rental for a few days. You can get used to the visibility problems fairly quickly, but fairly quickly means maybe a day or at least several hours of driving. To the sides you really don't need to see "down" so the high beltline doesn't really hurt you. Forward and up, yea, you have to duck to see the signal at some intersections. But the biggest problem is the first impression you get sitting down. It's like you're in a pill-box on Normandy beach. For most buyers who stroll into the local Chevy dealer thinking they might get a Camaro, that first impression is all they are going to get. You are not going to get used to the visibility in a 15 minute test drive.
Years ago (still feels like yesterday) I test drove a 5th Gen Camaro V6 for the first time. I never even noticed any visibility issues. The reason is because I actually loved the car and the way it looked. I didn't buy it because it was a V6, I got a SS instead. And the visibility thing never bothered me. Just like some of the things people complain about the Mustangs never bothered me. I think a lot of this is just people flaming or hating on a car for whatever reason. Plenty of people buy Camaros and enjoy them just like plenty of people buy Mustangs and enjoy them. The haters are the ones who blow things out of proportion.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Years ago (still feels like yesterday) I test drove a 5th Gen Camaro V6 for the first time. I never even noticed any visibility issues. The reason is because I actually loved the car and the way it looked. I didn't buy it because it was a V6, I got a SS instead. And the visibility thing never bothered me. Just like some of the things people complain about the Mustangs never bothered me. I think a lot of this is just people flaming or hating on a car for whatever reason. Plenty of people buy Camaros and enjoy them just like plenty of people buy Mustangs and enjoy them. The haters are the ones who blow things out of proportion.
Every single review mentions multiple times how terrible the visibility is. But yeah, it's only the haters who have visibility issues with the camaro. :crazy:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Hereā€™s a photo of my 2SS/RS. I also loved the look of the car. But I traded it because I couldnā€™t stand to be inside of it. It not haters. Unless you want to label me a hater that spent 45 grand on a 2011 Camaro. Iā€™m going to have to disagree with you..
61626CD6-CED9-457E-9B33-28FE2FE61153.jpeg
Sponsored