Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
12/30/17 Update

Ok gents, I have a general plan for the event. A couple of details may change roughly a month before hand, but this will be the nuts and bolts.

The purpose of this event is for us all to get together, have some fun with our cars, build new friendships, and go home without damaging our bodies or property. With safety being of the utmost importance and the number of newer drivers at the event, I am not willing to skimp out on things that may save someone’s life. For the track we will have event insurance, a fire rescue crew, tow truck crew, corner workers, three 25x25 garages with compressed air, and a professional photographer on hand. Comparable track days at Buttonwillow range anywhere from $289 - $330 depending on when you sign up and the organizer. All said and done the event will cost $215 per driver. Your initial deposit of $50 goes toward the total cost of the event, with the remainder of $165 due 30 days before the event is scheduled.

The event will not be timed as Buttonwillow does not provide equipment. Be sure to download your favorite track app on your phone if that is something you are seeking. Additional track insurance can be purchased for your vehicle at your own expense if you choose. EVERYONE needs to have their own personal insurance policy on their vehicle. The three garages we have will be available for the run group going up next if they need to air up tires or perform maintenance checks. There is ample parking around the paddocks, so the garages are not a necessity. Additional garages can be purchased day of if you and some buddies want to go in on one.

My buddy Robert Gluckman (Instagram @ Robgluckman_photography) will be out taking photos. Some of you may be familiar with him from the GT350 Facebook Owners page or Instagram. He is a professional photographer that works for ABC 7 in Southern California. He flies in their helicopter and does aerial photography. Rob is bringing his $12,000 dollar lens and his GT350 to do some damage. He will be providing event photography for all of us, which will include overall photographs of the event and 2-3 professionally edited photos of your car on track. You can contact him directly at [email protected] or on Instagram to discuss him doing additional photographs. I already know I will be.

I have the contract ready to go for Buttonwillow to reserve the day. The initial deposit of $2000 is NON-REFUNDABLE, meaning we will run rain or shine. If you need to cancel your attendance I will refund your initial $50 deposit as soon as we have someone sign up to take your place. Thus far I have more interested parties than space. I am going to send the signed contract and deposit to Buttonwillow on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. That is the date we make this thing official. Buttonwillow requires all vehicles entering the raceway day of will have to pay $10 at the gate.

We will be running the full track in race configuration #1 for this event. It is their largest configuration, and will provide the most amount of space on track for our vehicles. Given the size of the track, and people that got back to me after the holiday we will have a total of 50 cars at the event. There will be several run groups separated by skill level. This should allow everyone ample time on track, the ability to drive without being stuck in traffic, an opportunity to work on your turning skills, and enough straights to have fun without getting into too much trouble. We will have a driver meeting in the morning at 0730 to discuss further details, and I will post all that info closer to the day of. Track time will begin at 0800 and we will go all the way until they kick us out at 1700 hours. We have until 1800 to be out of the facility. Feel free to invite buddies to attend and spectate, show their cars, and shoot the sh*t.

race_01_config.gif

Most of my time will be spent facilitating and coordinating the event, but I will get out there some. If any of you have been to the Ford Performance Racing School I intend to replicate some of their strategies. The most advanced group will start the day off first and get familiar with the track, with the intermediate group after, and beginners last. The new-drivers will also get some instruction on vehicle dynamics while they wait to drive. We have several participants that are instructors, have a substantial amount of track experience, or are experienced at Buttonwillow. I will be tapping into those individuals to conduct a lead/follow with the first-time participants to teach them the braking zones, racing lines, and getting them familiar with the track. After that session I would like an intermediate/advanced driver to ride along with the beginners to give them advice about driving techniques, and track specific tips. After that the beginning group will ride solo. Part of the way we will keep costs down, and keep us all safe is to tap into the experience we already have. Toward the end of the day we will open up the run groups to allow for some fun as people get more comfortable.

I am definitely open to suggestions so please PM me if you have some. For those with higher skill levels I greatly appreciate your willingness to help some the new guys out. Teaching is one of best ways to enhance your own skills and understanding. Keeping drivers and their vehicles on the track will also ensure we do not waste time due to incidents. I anticipate this event being a blast and, will look gauge interest into setting up another in the fall.

Thanks,

Sponsored

Bigtim352

bigtim352
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT w/black accent package
everything sounds good! this is my second time at buttonwillow but id be more than willing to help out with some coaching if needed. I run advanced group with other organizers.

I didn't run a timed session when i was there but for tracks i have timed are Big willow CW 1:34.8 and streets of willow CW 1:27.6

My IG is S550_Tim as what I'm signed up as.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Awesome, thanks for the effort!

Are we running Race Configuration #1 CW or CCW?

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
everything sounds good! this is my second time at buttonwillow but id be more than willing to help out with some coaching if needed. I run advanced group with other organizers.

I didn't run a timed session when i was there but for tracks i have timed are Big willow CW 1:34.8 and streets of willow CW 1:27.6

My IG is S550_Tim as what I'm signed up as.
I will definitely take you up on the offer. Will start an email group this week or next.
Awesome, thanks for the effort!

Are we running Race Configuration #1 CW or CCW?
Not committed to either yet. I was leaning toward CCW

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Damn nice work [MENTION=27928]50[/MENTION]Deep! I am such a slacker lately on doing anything I am just now seeing this, haha! I have a lot going on at the moment since I am walking the plank in June so if I am free that weekend I will see if I can get down there and watch for awhile. Have fun guys, looks 50 put together an awesome event!

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Hi Terrance

Are there going to be any vehicle modifications that will be mandatory to run at the track? Will we need a harness and a certain helmet roll cage safety wire etc of any sort?

Just don't want to get there and miss out for some technicality.

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Hi [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] - this sounds really cool. Never been to Buttonwillow nor know the location...but now I do and it seems to be about 3 hours South :) Are you, or does Buttonwillow, allow spectators? If spectators are allowed I am in Sacramento and would love to drive down and check it out. It has been many years since I've been to a track event like this and never taken my GT/PP out to one.

Reading through the thread sounds like you are doing an amazing job - would love to just take it in if possible. Thanks!

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Damn nice work [MENTION=27928]50[/MENTION]Deep! I am such a slacker lately on doing anything I am just now seeing this, haha! I have a lot going on at the moment since I am walking the plank in June so if I am free that weekend I will see if I can get down there and watch for awhile. Have fun guys, looks 50 put together an awesome event!
Walking the plank? You talking about the Navy or Marriage? Kind of the same since once you sign on the dotted line they own your ass lol. The track day is on a Monday so request the day off now and show up brother. Bring the R and have a good time. Racing or not.
Hi Terrance

Are there going to be any vehicle modifications that will be mandatory to run at the track? Will we need a harness and a certain helmet roll cage safety wire etc of any sort?

Just don't want to get there and miss out for some technicality.
I will be establishing an email list with several of the experienced drivers to discuss some safety requirements, and post that information up well before the track day. Being that this is not a timed or points event the focus should be more on skill development and fun than running balls out. Although, I suspect the advanced guys will find a way to get competitive with the skilled guys we have going. As it stands the track does not have any specific requirements other than basic safety gear while driving. Pants, gloves, certified helmet. At minimum I think it will be prudent for everyone to have a tow hook(s), but its not a requirement.

Hi [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] - this sounds really cool. Never been to Buttonwillow nor know the location...but now I do and it seems to be about 3 hours South :) Are you, or does Buttonwillow, allow spectators? If spectators are allowed I am in Sacramento and would love to drive down and check it out. It has been many years since I've been to a track event like this and never taken my GT/PP out to one.

Reading through the thread sounds like you are doing an amazing job - would love to just take it in if possible. Thanks!
Spectators are more than welcome. Definitely looking to have a large showing of enthusiasts out enjoying the day, whether racing or watching. Come on out brother, would be glad to meet you. The track just charges a $10 fee for every car that enters the raceway.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Spectators are more than welcome. Definitely looking to have a large showing of enthusiasts out enjoying the day, whether racing or watching. Come on out brother, would be glad to meet you. The track just charges a $10 fee for every car that enters the raceway.
Thanks. I wasn't sure so wanted to ask :D Added to my calendar and looking forward to it. Thanks again.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I believe track charges $10 per person.

you should definitely have tow hook (or have some plan for it). tow truck wants to get you off the track asap, they will use anything..... one option is to pop the hood, and use strut bar.

as for safety gear. helmet needs to be SA or M rated, no DOT stuff. Most track organizers also do not allow 4-point harness unless it is a Schroth ASM.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I believe track charges $10 per person.

you should definitely have tow hook (or have some plan for it). tow truck wants to get you off the track asap, they will use anything..... one option is to pop the hood, and use strut bar.

as for safety gear. helmet needs to be SA or M rated, no DOT stuff. Most track organizers also do not allow 4-point harness unless it is a Schroth ASM.
This is good info. It sounds like you could attend the event and have a good time
Sponsored