Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What is an SSB? How does it compare to a TSB?

You mean SSM? ... which means "Special Service Message".

An SSM is a message to the dealerships about a known problem and a short description of the problem and what to look for and how do diagnose. SSM probably comes out before a more detailed TSB.
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Thanks man, yes I mean SSM (I was writing the message in a rush). So this means that a TSB will probably follow.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks man, yes I mean SSM (I was writing the message in a rush). So this means that a TSB will probably follow.

Probably only followed by a TSB if the dealer needs more detailed information beyond the normal service manual information/direction to fix a problem.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I don’t know if anyone has seen this yet or is keeping track of SSM/TSB/GSB on the subject matter, but this is the most current SSM 47149 released as of 03/13/18:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3534/poor-a...low-refrigerant-charge-2015-2017-ford-mustang

Also reference SSM 47012 below if NOT evaporator core related:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/1523/no-air...a-c-clutch-seized-and-or-stuck-2015-2018-ford
The source of this SSM among others is a blog, not an official Ford source.

Can anyone request the dealer a printout of that SSM dealing with the a/c and post it here?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Can anyone request the dealer a printout of that SSM dealing with the a/c and post it here?
That site contains the actual body or subject matter from the SSM, granted not in “pdf” form as some are not uploaded in that manner... it’s not a “blog” site and the info posted is factual. In addition, the SSM number is “official Ford” and this info should not be discounted since PDFs aren’t attached.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Dealership called yesterday, and ordering an evap... Put me officially down for one now. I am confident it needed one last year, but they insisted on replacing the service ports because they found the leak test dye on them. Well no shit there was dye on the service ports where you injected it...!

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Dealership called yesterday, and ordering an evap... Put me officially down for one now. I am confident it needed one last year, but they insisted on replacing the service ports because they found the leak test dye on them. Well no shit there was dye on the service ports where you injected it...!
Wonder what your pressures were. They said my low side was good and that the high side was very high indicating clog in high side. tracked it down to condenser with the thinking the drier/receiver failed and clogged the condenser.

FordDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6, 2005 Mustang GT
Add another one to the pile...2016 v6 with 12,000 miles. A/C worked when the car was parked in November 2017, broken in April 2018. Dealer replaced the evap core.
20180525_165147.jpg

c360tx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge

So it looks like 02 Sep 2016 build dates and prior are the ones more likely to hae evap issues. Any 2017's with a build date after 02 Sep 2016 have an evaporator fail?

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
So it looks like 02 Sep 2016 build dates and prior are the ones more likely to hae evap issues. Any 2017's with a build date after 02 Sep 2016 have an evaporator fail?
Yep. 3/17 build date and mine failed at 12k miles.

Several other people with 2017 models have had the evap replaced as well. There was no meaningful fix, it affects all models from 2015-2017.

Time will tell if they really addressed it on the 2018+ models.

Sponsored

c360tx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Yep. 3/17 build date and mine failed at 12k miles.

Several other people with 2017 models have had the evap replaced as well. There was no meaningful fix, it affects all models from 2015-2017.

Time will tell if they really addressed it on the 2018+ models.
Thanks for the quick response! The 2018 owners manual online lists R1234yf as the refrigerant type, so that is definitely a change from R134a. This article about R1234yf was an interesting read. Not exactly the kind of stuff that makes for great brochure material though.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional...f-the-new-refrigerant-is-finally-here-are-you

Hopefully the refrigerant change is driving a stronger evap!

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
mine ended in y, but i think was was a difference between models, i forget
There is a TSB for the seat back anti sweat device?! Damn, I have got to get that done. Balls dont sweat, but my back does!

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
There is a TSB for the seat back anti sweat device?! Damn, I have got to get that done. Balls dont sweat, but my back does!
Don't get your hopes up it doesn't fix it.. As I read it's a bad design.. I was there for the evaporator so I figured I'd have that done too..

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Don't get your hopes up it doesn't fix it.. As I read it's a bad design.. I was there for the evaporator so I figured I'd have that done too..
I had a loaner F150 when I got my reverse lockout fixed and the seat back didn't cool either. To be fair, it didn't work on the loaner Caddy XTS either. Only the bottom cooled.
Sponsored