Sponsored

Car Horn Sound Change

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, quick question about something weird I noticed today. I noticed that the sound of my car horn changed today. It now sounds a lot weaker and wanted to know if anyone had any idea what the problem may be? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it an easy fix or should I just take it into the dealer for them to fix it?
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I haven't heard of horn problems yet. If you check and it's not a loose wire, I guess you could check for the voltage at the horn(s) with someone sitting inside holding down the horn while you check for 12volts+.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Edit:

Here's what my service manual says:

System Operation

Horn Switch > Clockspring > BCM > Horn Relay > Horn

Horn Operation

The horn switch uses sets of contacts separated by springs.The lower set is connected to ground and the upper set is connected to the horn signal circuit. When the driver airbag is pressed, it pushes down on the upper set of contacts, collapsing the springs and allowing the contacts to touch. When the contacts touch, it completes the circuit and provides a ground signal through the clockspring to the BCM horn input. The BCM then grounds the horn relay coil to energize the relay. When energized, the horn relay provides voltage to the horn, enabling the horn to sound.

jollycorsair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the same problem, took it to the dealer. They said the car has 2 horns and only 1 is working they've ordered a new set and will call me when the parts come in.

Sponsored

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium guard saddle 20 inch rims
Hey guys, quick question about something weird I noticed today. I noticed that the sound of my car horn changed today. It now sounds a lot weaker and wanted to know if anyone had any idea what the problem may be? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it an easy fix or should I just take it into the dealer for them to fix it?
Does it go,ahh ooh ga?

OxfordPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
Mine just started doing this about a week ago and today when I locked the car the horn was barely audible. Has anyone replaced the horns and eliminated this so far? I see a couple people were heading into the dealer to replace them. Assuming the problem did not return afterwards?

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Could have gotten wet. I remember on my EB after intercooler install I had to adjust the horns and they always got wet after a wash. Sounded like a duck.

OxfordPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Where exactly is it located? Looking at the pictures of when I took the front bumper off and I don't see the horn.

OxfordPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Nevermind, Found them on the driver side after I left work yesterday. Now I just have to find the part number I guess and order them.

Sponsored

bootyeater69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CompOr GT MT-82
i had similar problem. low tone horn stopped working. dealer replaced both horns under warranty

4X4XFAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Horn changed tone

My horn changed tone (low note horn not working, but high note also sounding weaker).

I'm wondering about a weak ground.

Is easiest access from below?

Other than the horn/horns being defective and replaced under warranty, has anybody had any other issues that might be helpful for me to check?

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/PP
My horn just did this too! It changed tone with the low note horn not working, but high note still working. I'll have to take it in to the dealer soon.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Do this. Get the 4 horn set from a 60's Lincoln Continental. Install those. Be amazed at how awesome your horn sounds - think freight train. :)

I had an extra set from my parts car when I rebuilt my Continental so I wired them up into my truck... it was awesome.