Sponsored

Forced Induction Question

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
I am looking for someone to double-check my math and maybe provide some real-world insight into a build path I am considering for my next S550.

Engine displacement is 227 cubic inches. Redline is 6500 RPM. Assumed volumetric efficiency is 0.85. Assuming these things to be the case:
Code:
(227*6500*0.85*0.5 4 stroke engine)/1728 inches in a cubic foot = 362.9 CFM
Code:
362.9 CFM * 0.069 ambient air density = 25 lb/min
Based on this, I am considering getting an EFR 7064 divided scroll turbocharger and plumbing each cylinder bank into one side of the flange. My compressor map reference is:

I am unsure of how strong the internals are, which might limit how much pressure I run. Considering a TUNE+ methanol kit to help supplement fueling and keep air temperature low.

Also wondering about intercoolers that would work for this setup. Using an Ecoboost Mustang intercooler will require excessive bends in plumbing and waste a lot of potential energy and introduce lag into the system. Options are either a top mount intercooler that is fed from a scoop on the hood, or an intercooler than enters and exits on the drivers side.

Appreciate the input.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigspoondude

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
Nothing like a good night's sleep to make you realize what you missed. Forgot to add in what pressure the system will be running at, which will affect what turbo is selected.

Code:
362.9CFM * 1.544 bar (8PSI) = [B]560.3 CFM[/B]
Code:
25lb/min * 1.544 bar (8PSI) = [B]38.6 LB/MIN[/B]
Small difference. Now it's more in line with the 8374 or the 9180 for a big turbo setup:

The 9180 seems to be more in its efficiency range if I am doing my math correctly. Mostly worried about when it will spool though.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Not sure if anyone on here has this kind of experience with the V6 and slapping a turbo on it.(I certainly know nothing on the subject). There is a youtube video showing a S197 with a turbo kit from a company in Florida. I forget the name and cant check at work, but it might be worth contacting them to see if they updated the kit to work with this car. Might be Central Florida Motorsports?
Sponsored