Sponsored

2018 Mustang Gt ticking noise

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
FYI, My 3 week old 2018 Premium PP, A10 GT (1,500 miles)is at the dealer for the identical noise. The noise began right around 300 miles and has gradually increased. I just received a call from my service advisor that they have isolated it to a number 3 wrist pin issue. I'm waiting to hear what their plan of attack is at this point. Anyone out there that can help me with a potential buy back from Ford? Guys, get those cars with this sound into the dealer quick! Good luck.
Sponsored

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Sounds like the infamous Coyote Tick in most of these videos. The cam phasers for this engine are noisy when they're starved of oil. Many of the 15-17 GTs got it after their first or second oil change. Mine does it, had Ford check and they said everything checks out fine.

Some people have replaced the cam phasers, only to have it come back after a couple oil changes.

Some of the videos in this thread, however, sound VERY concerning. Those with a very loud tick that raises with the RPM should definitely have Ford check out their cars.

The Coyote Tick sound disappears once you hit the throttle and the engine rises a couple hundred RPMs. I couldn't hear it over 1000 RPM.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Agreed. It got progressively worse over the course of less than 1,000 miles to the point it was obvious there was a serious issue. I'm now curious if this is going to be an issue with this engine in general. Bummer is that my D1X pro charger arrives tomorrow, but at least this happened before I installed it.

Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Congrats. People saying it's normal need to stop lying to themselves and people with the issues need to bring their cars into a good dealership. That's all.
There are normal noises that never change over the life of the engine (BBQ tick) and those that get worse. When it gets worse or changes that's time to get concerned.

I'm concerned and have searched on both the F150 boards and Google and it seems that this new 5.0 makes some odd noises in BOTH platforms.

If you are concerned, it's time to start a conversation with your dealer.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I'm bringing my car in to get the bumper fixed that was damaged in transportation. I'm going to tell them about the engine rattle at 2,200 RPM and clutch grind that occurs at 5,000+ RPM. I'm at 1050 miles.

I'm preparing my self mentally to not have my car for 30+ days and probably doing a vehicle replacement. I waited 6+ months for the car and it's exactly what I want. Honestly there's not even a different car I'd want. Shit sucks.
Good luck man. This whole situation we are dealing with is complete bullshit! I too am preparing myself. My rattle seems to be getting louder and im just above the first hole on the dipstick. When i bought it, the level was 3/4 up on the hash. Unless its normal to consume that much oil in 900 miles, then my engine is probably f*cked.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Agreed. It got progressively worse over the course of less than 1,000 miles to the point it was obvious there was a serious issue. I'm now curious if this is going to be an issue with this engine in general. Bummer is that my D1X pro charger arrives tomorrow, but at least this happened before I installed it.
my guess is the issue is with a first run of engines and they have probably figured out the issue now and the engines built now are corrected. I have an 11/17 engine and i'm paying close attention to all these threads I only have 800 miles on the car so far

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Not sure of my build date, but i'll try to get a look tomorrow when I'm at the dealership. Would be interesting if we can establish a trend.

Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
My car was built April and delivered on May 3rd. It was a very late production car for 2018, not to say the engine wasn't built early on in the production run?

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the engine rattle as well (not the tick from the videos on page 2 of this thread). My engine build date is probably in late February just like [MENTION=16274]mvfjet[/MENTION]. I am just going to get the issue documented with the dealer when I go in to have the flywheel and clutch swapped out next week. Other than the rattle and clutch grind, the car runs great. Currently at 1600 miles.

Just had the factory oil changed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. Sent in a sample of the factory fill to Blackstone so we'll see what they say. I'll also monitor the oil level closely over the next 5k miles and do another oil analysis with the next oil change. Till then I am just gonna play the wait and see game. I'd prefer not to do another drawn out warranty repair especially if it's not necessary and the buyback process sounds like an absolute nightmare, so I don't want to go that route unless I absolutely have to. I am gonna try to wrestle a free extended warranty out of Ford for my flywheel/clutch troubles.

The lemon law time frame in my state is 18 months and I already have three weeks racked up out of service, so it's not gonna be a problem to hit the buyback criteria if there is an actual issue with these engines. It's gonna take time to confirm something like this and I don;t want to take point on this too.:frusty:

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
here in Oregon our lemon law is 2 years or 24000 miles.

Terminator03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6 speed
I get this ticking sound whenever I’m slowing down to a stop. It’s coming from the driver side. I feel like it doesn’t happen every time. Could it be related to what y’all are experiencing? 2018 gt PP1 6 speed
Sponsored