Sponsored

Air Conditioning Stopped Working: Any thoughts before I take it in?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
My air conditioning in my 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Manual stopped all-together today. It’s basically the entire system including heat since there is no airflow at all.

Any suggestions before I spend a day at the dealership? I’m guessing it was a fan failure of some sort, but I’m not a mechanic. Fortunately, it’s still under warranty. This is the second a/c problem I’ve had. About a year ago it stopped blowing cold air and they replaced a part (also under warranty), so I’m starting to wonder if this car has some air conditioning issues.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I wouldn't worry too much. Most issues I've had in new cars tend to hit early on in the first few years. It's probably something electrical.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
if it is not blowing air then it is probably the blower motor. If so, it is generally a very easy part to replace. Sounds completely unrelated to your first problem (which I and many others shared with you).

Blocka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
i Have the same issue. Come to find out its the evaporator core. Dealership charges 1800. I wanted to take it somewhere else but im kind of nervous.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
i Have the same issue. Come to find out its the evaporator core. Dealership charges 1800. I wanted to take it somewhere else but im kind of nervous.
So you are saying you had a bad evap core and this is causing you not to have ANY air blowing out the vents, even on the heat setting?

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
mine only blows hot air on the driver's side & cool on passenger's side(just started). Any idea why?

JinNTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium Fastback
mine only blows hot air on the driver's side & cool on passenger's side(just started). Any idea why?
Sounds like a blend door issue.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Sounds like a blend door issue.
Nope. It's definitely the evaporator going out.

Common problem on the S550s so far. It's still unclear whether or not if it's been fixed for the 2018+, but give it another year and we might start seeing failures on those as well.

I've been rather unlucky, I've had my AC go out 4 times in the last 15 months. The first time it was the compressor, and the last 3 times it's been the evaporator. Cool air on the passenger side and warm on the driver side is a telltale sign that your evap is leaking, and give it a day or two there won't be any cool air at all.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I took it in today and they verified the blower motor had died and it’s under warranty and they are replacing it Wednesday. The A/C came back on today, but the airflow ebbed and flowed for a lack of a better way to describe it.

They did not have a price and won’t know until the part arrives. Anyone have an idea how much a blower motor would cost with installation?

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
My air conditioning in my 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Manual stopped all-together today. It’s basically the entire system including heat since there is no airflow at all.

Any suggestions before I spend a day at the dealership? I’m guessing it was a fan failure of some sort, but I’m not a mechanic. Fortunately, it’s still under warranty. This is the second a/c problem I’ve had. About a year ago it stopped blowing cold air and they replaced a part (also under warranty), so I’m starting to wonder if this car has some air conditioning issues.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
What model year car do you have?

Sponsored

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I thought the 2018 Mustang switched refrigerant from R134 to R1234, if so must have a different design evaporator, I hope.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If its not blowing air at all then its probably the blower motor. My 2016 stopped blowing cold air at about 5000 miles and I had the evap replaced under warranty.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nope. It's definitely the evaporator going out.
Common problem on the S550s so far. It's still unclear whether or not if it's been fixed for the 2018+, but give it another year and we might start seeing failures on those as well.
Yep, probably the evaporator, the air isn't super cool (because of the bad evap) and it warms as it moves through the system, the drivers left most vent being the furthest away: driver side: hot << warm << passenger: barely cool << slightly cool

It's apparently a more common problem in high heat/coastal/high humidity areas.

When I had mine replaced under warranty about a year or so ago, the service manager told me the new evap was a revised part number, so I'm hoping it's an improved design as well. The biggest issue is the amount of interior that has to be pulled out, some of those panels, clips, etc., never seem to go back together - that being said, my local Ford dealer did a TERRIFIC job, basically can't tell anything was ever removed.

Just to clarify, I was addressing [MENTION=28129]gameovergt[/MENTION] issue, if you're not getting actual air circulating, that's a different problem :)

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I sure hope you are right about the new part number. I just had mine replaced by the dealer under warranty but the warranty is now over.
They did a good job on the panels, i have not noticed any loose fitting ones or any rattles.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, probably the evaporator, the air isn't super cool (because of the bad evap) and it warms as it moves through the system, the drivers left most vent being the furthest away: driver side: hot << warm << passenger: barely cool << slightly cool

It's apparently a more common problem in high heat/coastal/high humidity areas.

When I had mine replaced under warranty about a year or so ago, the service manager told me the new evap was a revised part number, so I'm hoping it's an improved design as well. The biggest issue is the amount of interior that has to be pulled out, some of those panels, clips, etc., never seem to go back together - that being said, my local Ford dealer did a TERRIFIC job, basically can't tell anything was ever removed.

Just to clarify, I was addressing @gameovergt issue, if you're not getting actual air circulating, that's a different problem :)

I'm still under warranty & need to get the car in to be looked at.
Sponsored