Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
I've had the clatter noise with my 18 since new (now at 1900 miles). It does go away after the oil temperature stabilizes though. I had my son give it some gas while parked in the garage this morning. Short revs and rev holds in the 2000-2200 range (he's 7 lol).

I can definitely hear the majority of my clatter coming from the driver's side and passenger side cam phasers. I confirmed with some data logs via ngauge that there is some drastic cam timing changes going on at that rpm sweep. It's funny that the noise is amplified with the hood closed, listening from underneath the car. At 1st I thought "welp, gotta rod dancing around" but with the hood opened and listening from up top, it is definitely the phasers. Has always ran like a scalded dog so not worried about it one bit.

• Early Jan. motor build.
  • Personally changed oil/filter when odometer had 300 miles (assembly lube has to come out). Used 5w30 Motorcraft synthetic and FL500 filter.
  • Lund E85 race tune since 300 miles
Ok I read through every single bit of this thread because I also have concerns. Unfortunately I've already thrown headers, intake, and E85 tune on lmao so taking it in would be problematic to say the least...

What this guy said here is literally pretty much exactly what I'm dealing with. Mine clatters and does speed up with engine revs to like 2k-2.2k and diminishes almost entirely after the motor is at operating temp. I hear mine best when I'm right next to the wheels. Underneath you can hear it pretty good too. It's super irritating though and I have been soooo paranoid about this shit.

I changed my oil to that 20k ultra mobile 1 ultimate best oil ever stuff 5w20 right at 1,100 miles, now have just over 3k. I will attach a video as soon as I can.
Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Ok I read through every single bit of this thread because I also have concerns. Unfortunately I've already thrown headers, intake, and E85 tune on lmao so taking it in would be problematic to say the least...

What this guy said here is literally pretty much exactly what I'm dealing with. Mine clatters and does speed up with engine revs to like 2k-2.2k and diminishes almost entirely after the motor is at operating temp. I hear mine best when I'm right next to the wheels. Underneath you can hear it pretty good too. It's super irritating though and I have been soooo paranoid about this shit.

I changed my oil to that 20k ultra mobile 1 ultimate best oil ever stuff 5w20 right at 1,100 miles, now have just over 3k. I will attach a video as soon as I can.
They will cover you mustang aslong as it is low mileage. Its a mustang... If ford turns you down they should just not market the stang anymore.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Yea I tried 5w-30 and it didn't change anything. Did an oil change around 1100 miles and nothing changed.

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
They will cover you mustang aslong as it is low mileage. Its a mustang... If ford turns you down they should just not market the stang anymore.
This certainly makes me feel better. I guess I need more definitive proof if I'm going to take the damn headers off and put it back to stock haha.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
This certainly makes me feel better. I guess I need more definitive proof if I'm going to take the damn headers off and put it back to stock haha.
If you know someone who is a moonlight mechanic or have access to a borescope.....scope it. Thats what i did/doing. Im waiting on mirror attachments so i can definitively see my cylinder walls. Theres a couple guys on here who have had there cars scoped, and no damage/wear was apparent.....except for bigriver :(

Sponsored

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
If you know someone who is a moonlight mechanic or have access to a borescope.....scope it. Thats what i did/doing. Im waiting on mirror attachments so i can definitively see my cylinder walls. Theres a couple guys on here who have had there cars scoped, and no damage/wear was apparent.....except for bigriver :(
Grand idea. Well I'll post some vids and see what you guys think

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Yea I tried 5w-30 and it didn't change anything. Did an oil change around 1100 miles and nothing changed.
This is actually a good thing. If it would have diminished the sound that could be a sign of piston slap given the heavier weight is supplying a better barrier.......?

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Yes, scope is the best thing to double check. I hope I'm the only one. Dealing with Ford customer service, BBB, dealer service dept and now the Ford RAV department is almost unbearable and I wouldn't want anyone to go through this.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well just completed my oil change. Rattle did not go away but definitely seems to have changed behavior. The RPM range that it occurs has changed slightly. That said I think I have located the source of my rattle. As was said a few post earlier it seems that the rattle for me is coming from the top front of the engine (cams). Had my Dad rev it to to the RPM range (subtle but still can be heard at idle) while I was inspecting the engine. Rattle was definitively louder towards the cam phasers then it was towards the side of the engine where you would expect to be hearing piston slap.

Otherwise 5w30 really helps quiet down the rest of the valvetrain and I have no unexpected noises after the change.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked the HPFP on the passenger side valve cover?
I did and it too makes a rattle at that RPM but it seemed like the cam phasers were louder. Could be a combination of the two.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well just completed my oil change. Rattle did not go away but definitely seems to have changed behavior. The RPM range that it occurs has changed slightly. That said I think I have located the source of my rattle. As was said a few post earlier it seems that the rattle for me is coming from the top front of the engine (cams). Had my Dad rev it to to the RPM range (subtle but still can be heard at idle) while I was inspecting the engine. Rattle was definitively louder towards the cam phasers then it was towards the side of the engine where you would expect to be hearing piston slap.

Otherwise 5w30 really helps quiet down the rest of the valvetrain and I have no unexpected noises after the change.
I'm going to try some 5W-30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Currently running Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend, and my 2015's engine sounds pretty quiet right now - can't hear it at all inside the car with radio, etc turned off or driving around with the windows down and along tall walls, etc. Even with the hood up and head inside the engine bay it sounds pretty quiet for a DOHC V8. So it will be interesting to see if 5W-30 changes any noises in my case.

Ford specs 5W-30 oil viscosity for the same S550 engines outside the USA, so there's no real reason Ford specifies 5W-20 except for CAFE credits in the USA. And 5W-30 will give better engine protection especially if you push the car more than just normal street driving and the oil temperature gets above what just normal street driving does. Ford specs 5W-30 for the S550s outside the USA, so that tells you it's not going to hurt the engine in any way.

If you really have to snoop around the engine bay with the hood up to hear any noises, then your engine is probably AOK. The guys who have the engine noises (2015~2018) can hear it plain as day while inside driving the car ... that I agree is not normal at all.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to try some 5W-30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Currently running Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend, and my 2015's engine sounds pretty quiet right now - can't hear it at all inside the car with radio, etc turned off or driving around with the windows down and along tall walls, etc. Even with the hood up and head inside the engine bay it sounds pretty quiet for a DOHC V8. So it will be interesting to see if 5W-30 changes any noises in my case.

Ford specs 5W-30 oil viscosity for the same S550 engines outside the USA, so there's no real reason Ford specifies 5W-20 except for CAFE credits in the USA. And 5W-30 will give better engine protection especially if you push the car more than just normal street driving and the oil temperature gets above what just normal street driving does. Ford specs 5W-30 for the S550s outside the USA, so that tells you it's not going to hurt the engine in any way.

If you really have to snoop around the engine bay with the hood up to hear any noises, then your engine is probably AOK. The guys who have the engine noises (2015~2018) can hear it plain as day while inside driving the car ... that I agree is not normal at all.
Haha I agree. I can certainly hear the noise while driving. Snooping around the engine bay was trying to isolate the sound! :thumbsup:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Haha I agree. I can certainly hear the noise while driving. Snooping around the engine bay was trying to isolate the sound! :thumbsup:

I removed the sound tube on my 2015, so that might have made the cabin more isolated from the engine sounds too. I'm assuming the 2018s still have a sound tube?

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
Ford specs 5W-30 oil viscosity for the same S550 engines outside the USA, so there's no real reason Ford specifies 5W-20 except for CAFE credits in the USA.
In UK it's Castrol Magnatec 5W-20

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
I think I have a similar issue but mine sounds like a ball bearing bouncing around a tin can randomly. Checked another 18gt at the dealer to see if it was abnormal and it was. Too bad ford customer support doesnt browse these anymore, I remember when my 15 had a flywheel that cracked they expedited the whole thing and got me a complimentary rental. Dont think ill be so lucky this time D:
Sponsored