Sponsored

Car Stalling

Sargonnas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Alright.. I've had this happen twice now. I intend to take it to the dealer, but might not be able to until Saturday. 2017 GT Prem PP 6M.

1st time: After ~50 mile drive, pulled into gas station and got gas. After getting gas, turned on car, put it in gear and pulled away (didn't really wait very long before moving.. people are waiting and cars already warmed up). Turned left, gave it a bit of gas.. not too much since I'm in a gas station parking lot, but certainly not babying it. Push in clutch to come to a stop, engine dies.

2nd time: After ~60 mile drive, stopped at a friends house. Was inside 15-20 minutes, and went out to get food. Turned on car, again didn't wait more than a few seconds before taking off since it was already warmed up, put it in gear and did an immediate u-turn from my parking spot on the side of the street, then gave it some gas.. again, not floored.. barely in the 'spirited' territory. Went to shift into second and it died again. Shifted a little too quick to tell whether or not it died upon pushing clutch in, or engaging. After engaging clutch, the car of course started coming to a rapid stop since the engine was off. Pushed clutch in as I rolled around the corner I was coming to, started engine, and off I went.

All I've done to the car is a Steeda CAI (restrictor in since its not tuned). AFR is normal, temps are normal..

Is this the car, or maybe something I'm doing wrong? I've had 3 different manual cars and I've never once had this happen to me until I got this car. Its sitting around 10k miles at the moment, and both issues have happened within the past 3k miles or so. Both times I'd say I rapidly pushed in the clutch, but only on one instance did I try to re-engage. Clutch of course always fully depressed.
Sponsored

eclipsersgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
engine dying

Yup, ran into the same problem. Filled up with gas, made a left turn out of the gas station, came to a stop at a stop sign and the engine died. Don't know why, but I'm keeping my eye on it, no problems since then.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
there's been a few cases of this happening. some of the cases were fixed when the dealer replaced the throttle position sensor/throttle body & had the ECU reflashed. there is a revised throttle body that is supposed to fix this problem.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had this same problem, you might be able to find my old post :p

Anyways, I have not this issue since I've gotten my car Lund tuned. Been over 6 months, otherwise it was pretty frequent (once every couple weeks). Ford won't help you because they need to replicate the problem and since it's random and not frequent, I doubt they'll be able to do that.

As for the recall, I believe it was only for 2015's. I have a 2016 and still had the issue, you having a 2017, still having the same issue.

If tuning is on the table, I'd try that. Hasn't happened to me since!

OP
OP

Sargonnas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I had this same problem, you might be able to find my old post :p

Anyways, I have not this issue since I've gotten my car Lund tuned. Been over 6 months, otherwise it was pretty frequent (once every couple weeks). Ford won't help you because they need to replicate the problem and since it's random and not frequent, I doubt they'll be able to do that.

As for the recall, I believe it was only for 2015's. I have a 2016 and still had the issue, you having a 2017, still having the same issue.

If tuning is on the table, I'd try that. Hasn't happened to me since!

Thanks. I've got a tune going in early August. I just hope my car doesn't stall as I'm pulling out into traffic before then (or after...).

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In addition to bad throttle bodies, there have also been threads relating a stall issue to the IMRC plate system, where it has been found those have failed prematurely.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
i had this same issue on my 2015 and they ended up re-flashing the ECU and no issues since

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
:ford:
i had this same issue on my 2015 and they ended up re-flashing the ECU and no issues since
Makes sense why mine went away after tuning

archaica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP
I've had this issue six or seven times over a couple of months; I brought the car to my local Ford dealer after my mechanic pulled a code off the computer. The Ford dealership said they could not replicate the issue, and so would not be able to do anything about it. I told them this was unacceptable and am currently escalating the issue to Ford Customer Service. My car is still under warranty, and stalling is definitely a safety issue - I refuse to take children around in this car when it could stall and pose a danger to them or others.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Sounds a lot like vapor lock...gas heats up in pipes while stopped, expands, locks up fuel system....I think my dad had to add some heat sheilds in our old ford van-carbeurated version...

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sounds a lot like vapor lock...gas heats up in pipes while stopped, expands, locks up fuel system....I think my dad had to add some heat sheilds in our old ford van-carbeurated version...
When mine used to stall, it sometimes did it even when I was slowing down ( cruising at 50mph and coming to a slow stop) it'll shut off
Sponsored