Sponsored

2.3L Ecoboost-US built vs Spanish built

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I just noticed something interesting about my new Mustang on the window sticker-the engine in it is made in the USA :headbang:

I know my last car (it was a '15, build date 5/27/15) had a Spanish made engine.

Just wondering what differences there might be between the two engines...and also wondering if the shift in production to the US for the Ecoboost engine is permanent, or if they're sourcing the engines from both countries?
Sponsored

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Where on the window sticker does it show the engine build location? I only saw final assembly plant. I must be blind.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
Where on the window sticker does it show the engine build location? I only saw final assembly plant. I must be blind.
He may be referring to the other sticker that shows the country of origin for the engine and transmission. Usually right under or next to the window sticker.

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
He may be referring to the other sticker that shows the country of origin for the engine and transmission. Usually right under or next to the window sticker.
This is the sheet to which I refer:

picture.jpg

I was looking for my build sheet, and ran across this in the glove compartment. It's got my VIN on it, so it obviously belongs to my 'stang and not some other car :thumbsup:

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
I know old Mexican built 302 blocks were built stronger than ours so who knows if one might be stronger than the other.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
They are still making engines in Spain that are used for the European market. The Cleveland plant makes engines for the North American market. I believe this is permanent. There has been talk about changes to the 2.3 engine from early builds but I have not seen any hard evidence of that change. I also have not seen any evidence of changes between Spain and Cleveland built engines.

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
That should make the EB engine a 140 Cleveland...
LOL, somehow I don't think it's quite the same as the old 351 Cleveland block...although I bet we're making around the same HP as some factory versions of the old 351C :thumbsup:

I always wanted a bumper sticker that said "half the cylinders, twice the fun!" :cool:

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
They are still making engines in Spain that are used for the European market. The Cleveland plant makes engines for the North American market. I believe this is permanent. There has been talk about changes to the 2.3 engine from early builds but I have not seen any hard evidence of that change. I also have not seen any evidence of changes between Spain and Cleveland built engines.
Adam @ Tune+ has documented the production changes in many threads on the blown up engines...most of them center around the PCV system, although the newer engines also get a bigger valve cover for some unknown reason. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is putting stronger connecting rods in newer engines, too, since that seems to be a common point of failure in 2.3 Ecoboost failures (almost always on cylinder #3!) :thumbsup:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Adam @ Tune+ has documented the production changes in many threads on the blown up engines...most of them center around the PCV system, although the newer engines also get a bigger valve cover for some unknown reason. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is putting stronger connecting rods in newer engines, too, since that seems to be a common point of failure in 2.3 Ecoboost failures (almost always on cylinder #3!) :thumbsup:
I am aware of the part change TSB for the PCV, is that what you are talking about? Can you link to any of the threads that discuss the changes?

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Connecting rods are most likely the same. Different part numbers simply mean different variances for the same parts in different cylinders. The differences being thousandths of a millimeter here or there, not different material or strength.

The big differences most def. center around the PCV system but then again to show that not every car is the same, my car was born on 10/14, doesn't smoke and has a squeaky clean throttle body at 10,000 miles tuned on E30

Cylinder 3 misbehaving is in the genealogy of this motor going back to the MazdaSpeed 3.

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I am aware of the part change TSB for the PCV, is that what you are talking about? Can you link to any of the threads that discuss the changes?
Let's try this: Hey Adam [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION] :D

Know how the 2.3 Ecoboost block has changed since the initial production in 2014? :shrug:

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My 16 has a build date of Sept 26 2015. There's a Cleveland Engine Plant sticker on the front of the valve cover.

Also, the Cleveland casting plant made windor motors too. The valley on my last 351 block was stamped CCP. Not a whole lot of them, and they weren't any stronger than a window cast block.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Let's try this: Hey Adam [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION] :D

Know how the 2.3 Ecoboost block has changed since the initial production in 2014? :shrug:
There has been nothing documented by Ford as of yet.
Sponsored