Sponsored

Aluminum vs steel flywheel

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Pros and cons of aluminum flywheel and a steel flywheel? What should I go with it? Rst clutch is on the way can't decide on a flywheel
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Pros and cons of aluminum flywheel and a steel flywheel? What should I go with it? Rst clutch is on the way can't decide on a flywheel
If you're driving it on the street regularly, steel. Aluminum is great for track use but you want that increased inertia from the steel for street drivability.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I contemplated the same thing when I did mine. I agree with the steel for street use. The steel is supposed to still be 5 lbs lighter than the factory and the aluminum is supposed to be 10 lbs lighter.

I am running the steel with the RST in my car and it is great! Still holding up to the Whipple as well.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I went with the lightened steel one for my RST and it's held up great. The RST does not have the same manners as the stock clutch, but there's a trade off with everything.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I'm thinking about keeping my steel. Transmission is out of my car right now.. Debating if I should go aluminum while the transmission is outt or save 350 dollars and keep my steel McLeod flywheel. I noticed a little difference with my aluminum driveshaft figured it would be even quicker if I go with the aluminum flywheel. I also herd u lose alot of inertia in between shifts.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Aluminum flywheel with a heavy street car usually equals regrets.. Save weight somewhere else.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have aluminum with my RST, changing it out soon for a lightened steel one due to chatter. The thin steel wear ring on the aluminum is too thin and doesn't like heat and has warped I know. I had an aluminum one on my old 05 and it gave me grief as well. I am steering clear from now on.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have the lightened steel McLeod flywheel. I had an aluminum flywheel before and I like the steel better.
Sponsored