Sponsored

2018+ GT Performance Package Level 1 Worth $4k?

Shadowblack5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
It is definitely a great value for the money. You would not be able to get all of the items for 4k, not to mention that if you get the car for under MSRP then you are actually paying even less. I personally opted for a non-PP1 300A because I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible, but there was no doubt in my mind that PP1 was a great bang for the buck. I think the real argument, like some have already stated, is whether you are planning to buy a lot of aftermarket items that would directly replace the items from the performance package. If this is the case, then I would argue that getting PP1 would be a waste of money, but that still has nothing to do with the fact that it is a great value for the parts that it includes.
Well said, it's a great value any way you look at it, but for some it would be a waste of money, and others it wouldn't be, depending on what they have planned for their car.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
PP1:

The GT Performance Package includes:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
With exception of the (IMHO hideous) rear wing, the PP combo on the MY16 only set owners back $2500. At $4000, the option is far less of a deal IMHO. What exactly are you getting over the previous gen (besides better tires) that justifies the extra expense?

IMHO, Ford got greedy when they saw 30% of mustang buyers were going after the performance pack and started jacking the prices up to try to cash in.

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For me the PP1 wasn't worth the extra money for a few reasons...

The main reason is the PP wheels they may look cool and use to think so as well but after 4 years of the same wheel I am tired of that look plus they are one of the hardest wheels to clean lol... and the fact that they are lead anchors doesn't help I mean approximately 33 lbs per wheel is crazy so if I got the PP1 they would be tossed within a week.

Next is I like the idea of mangeride but if you add that into the price it is another 1600 dollars and the lowering spring market is limited so didn't really want that option.

So I figured get the Ford Racing track suspension package which is an improvement over the PP1 suspension and lowers the car 1" it cost about me about 1200.00

I am buying the Brembo front brakes off a friend that went with Baer drag brakes and I am getting the Baer eradispeed rotors front and rear and new front pads so I am into the brakes for about 2350.00

I already installed the front strut tower brace and the 2018 GT already comes with the K-Brace so it was a 10 minute install. It was a 168 dollars.

I am also planning to get the Mishimoto Performance radiator which is 77% better cooling over the PP1 radiator and can be picked up for around 500 dollars.

So yes you would pay a little more overall but I feel like minus the torsen differential I would have an overall better package... but not everyone like to mod a car I happen to love doing it.

I could care less about the PP gauges oil pressure is okay but never understood the vacuum gauge anyway...

The PP1 wing looks cool but didn't have to have it and there are after market options I like better if I choose to do a bigger wing.

Plus with my wheel and rotors changes I will be dropping around 65 lbs of rotating mass at the sametime will be running 285/35/19 tires square.

So that was my thought process when going with a 2018 GT Premium and not opting for the PP1 package. I got the options I really wanted which was the 10r80, 401A package and active exhaust.

I will be doing the installation myself none of the stuff I am putting on is hard to do it's not like I'm pulling the motor and tearing it down... and I don't really care if my shocks or brakes don't have a warranty I'll just replace them myself if needed :)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The short answer is that it is really worth it for just 2 simple reasons.
1. You track your car.
2. You like the pride of ownership of the performance parts, if you don't.

Longer answer (for me personally):
First of all, auto trans can be had with PP option for 2018, so that is huge for me, since I like all the things that are possible with the auto. Not only that, but the 3.55 rear diff and lots of midrange gears is great. I am just waiting to hear more about the 10r80 reliability and if it survives the track.

I am slowly going through the process of upgrading my non-PP 2016 for some of the PP options. I put on a stiff suspension, but went back because I didn't like it daily. I will upgrade the 4-pot brakes for track days, with pads and cooling minimum.

Since I like the stock/PP suspension stiffness (i.e. no stiffer), then I personally would order 2018 PP, and not mod it much at all.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....at $4700 over a base car you could get the same brakes, gears, and radiator as the PP1, but you’ll also have better suspension, better wheels, and better or equal tires.
Your entire opinion is based on the above.

First, there's no true definition of "better", that's subjective.

Second, you're stating you can get the Torsen LSD, center gauges, wheels, tires, brakes, radiator, hoses, shocks, springs, sway bars, k-brace, strut-brace, and everything else a performance pack has above a standard GT, installed, for $4700.00

I am highly skeptical on that point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
it's worth the money if you want to keep the car stock.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Yes. Shocking to see how much its inflated since '16 it was $2,500...

Ford saw the demand...

Reactions: 113

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
My 2018 GT Premium automatic has PP1 as an option. I really comes down to ride preference .:headbang:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I love the Performance Package. But it was a lot more attractive when it was a $2495 option like on my '15. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Your entire opinion is based on the above.

First, there's no true definition of "better", that's subjective.

Second, you're stating you can get the Torsen LSD, center gauges, wheels, tires, brakes, radiator, hoses, shocks, springs, sway bars, k-brace, strut-brace, and everything else a performance pack has above a standard GT, installed, for $4700.00

I am highly skeptical on that point.
I never said all those parts were $4.7. It's right there in the quote: The $4.7k number is literally just for the parts listed with said number. For $4.7k you get the same brakes, gears, and radiator as the PP1, but you’ll also have better suspension, better wheels, and better tires (and I didn't even shop around, these are just American Muscle numbers without promo codes or sales). Together they add up to the majority of the real components that make up the PP1, but you do in-fact have better (as-in lighter) wheels, better (as in stickier) tires, and better (as in flatter/more composed) suspension for performance.

I think others have highlighted what I said in my video and get the point of my position: Buy the PP1 if you want some OEM/Warrantied enhancements... no one is saying that's bad. However, if you're serious about tracking the car the PP1 isn't really where your money should go. Instead, you should buy a base, or at least non-PP1, and mod it with better parts than the PP1 comes with. Seriously, even if you're just changing the wheels and tires of a PP1, the value of that package falls off the cliff; so I'd argue that skipping the PP1 if you're serious about tracking makes a lot of sense. Of course, ideally, everyone that's going to track the car should buy a PP2 and call it a day.

Sponsored
OP
OP

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Yes. Shocking to see how much its inflated since '16 it was $2,500...

Ford saw the demand...
Definitely. I really only see tires as a difference. Not worth $1500 more when both a 15-17 and an 18 PP1 will burn through tires soon enough and a 15 owner can put those tires on their wheels just like the 18 owner likely will, when it's time to replace.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If your getting a loan it's worth it. Can't tie in aftermarket parts on a loan. If u pay cash then depends on how much you want to mod it.

Reactions: 113

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
If your getting a loan it's worth it. Can't tie in aftermarket parts on a loan. If u pay cash then depends on how much you want to mod it.
Exactly...:amen:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The performance pack 1 on the 2018 GT is $1K more than the performance pack on the 2017. The tires on the 2017 performance pack car are garbage. The Michelin 4S tires are worth the $1K upgrade the me.

Magride complicates the purchase for me. After testing a number of C7's with and without it I quickly realized what a difference it makes for street and track, but espescillay the street with crappy roads. I know I would also wonder what if I didn't select it in the Mustang. The problem is most of the cars near me that have it also have other options I don't want. So I may have to order a car. But for me PP1 and magride is a must. LSD is also a must. I can't imagine buying a Mustang, or any car, without it.