Sponsored

Anyone buy an extended warranty EXCLUSIVELY because of evaporator fears?

SpiralOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Wish I had read about this issue earlier. I noticed this weekend that the AC wasn't blowing cold air (first time I've turned the AC on all winter).
Took it to the dealer today only to find out that my 3/36 expired 9 days ago...

They want to charge me $1800 to replace the evaporator coil so I called Ford to see what they could do, given that this issue is so prevalent. They "opened a case" and will get back to me in 2 business days.

Will probably sell the car if they don't do the right thing here.
Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Wish I had read about this issue earlier. I noticed this weekend that the AC wasn't blowing cold air (first time I've turned the AC on all winter).
Took it to the dealer today only to find out that my 3/36 expired 9 days ago...

They want to charge me $1800 to replace the evaporator coil so I called Ford to see what they could do, given that this issue is so prevalent. They "opened a case" and will get back to me in 2 business days.

Will probably sell the car if they don't do the right thing here.
I hope they take care of you. I was 6000 miles out of warranty and they told me no assistance was available. Given how widespread this issue is, I would have thought Ford would step up to the plate. Now they've lost a customer for life.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Getting the premium 125,000 8 year warranty with $200 deductible, 1st day rental for $1850. I would not have done it if it were not for the evap issue. Sucks, it's a gamble with 50/50 odds or so. Also, I'm no longer going to store the car half the year for winter. Sick of not having my ride!

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
I have a late 14 built 2015 Eco Mustang and so far it has had no issues at all! BtoB warranty is up in July so I will be getting the extended warranty before then... I can see this thing falling apart as soon as the warranty is up haha

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
I have a Ford extended warranty on my CPO ‘16 GT, because it’s a Ford. No issues so far in first 7K miles.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
If you wait close to the end of your 3/36 warranty, it’s way more expensive to purchase the extended warranty. I just looked to compare with the warranty I purchased with only 16 miles, and 1 week old, GT350.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Going with a Roush blower so extended warranty wont do anything anyways.
It will on unrelated parts. If your engine blows, no it wont. If your evap fails, they can't deny it just because you have boost..

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
If you wait close to the end of your 3/36 warranty, it’s way more expensive to purchase the extended warranty. I just looked to compare with the warranty I purchased with only 16 miles, and 1 week old, GT350.
That is because the prices for GT350/R warranties jumped by a LOT recently. The only surcharge I know is when you cross 12 months of service.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
So I just went in and paid for it, some interesting notes.
1) No ford power pack 2 for me, it will void out the powertrain warranty after 36 months from in service date.
2) I took the printout from FloodFord, and they matched the quote, grumbling that there was only $100 in it for them. But they did sell it to me for the same price. Of course, got hit with tax.
3) The service manager (not a big dealership, and they sell VERY FEW mustangs) said they already knocked out "a few" evaporators.

4) Just my opinion, but if you are going to keep the car past 3 years, it would be silly not to get the ESP. Of course, having said that, I won't need it.

Sponsored

SpiralOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I hope they take care of you. I was 6000 miles out of warranty and they told me no assistance was available. Given how widespread this issue is, I would have thought Ford would step up to the plate. Now they've lost a customer for life.
Well I got an email response back from Ford, and it is about what I expected...they say sorry not sorry.
I may just try to recharge with a refrigerant w/sealant like someone else on here did.
You guys can learn from my mistake and purchase that extended warranty while you still can.

Here is Ford's (canned) response:
Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.

We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.

Thank you again for contacting Ford.

The Ford Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Well I got an email response back from Ford, and it is about what I expected...they say sorry not sorry.
I may just try to recharge with a refrigerant w/sealant like someone else on here did.
You guys can learn from my mistake and purchase that extended warranty while you still can.

Here is Ford's (canned) response:
Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.

We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.

Thank you again for contacting Ford.

The Ford Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company
Same exact response I got. Have you talked with your dealer about it? 9 days outside warranty should be covered in good faith given how common this defect is.

I'm officially done with Ford after owning 2 products that had A/C issues due to common defects. I'm waiting on delivery of a Civic Si to my dealer right now.

SpiralOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have only talked to the service manager so far, and he wasn't willing to do anything about it. This was my first Ford vehicle, and will likely be my last.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I feel like a class action lawsuit will happen once these cars start reaching 50k miles. Especially ones up north who don't use their ACs as frequently. Their issues will show their heads once the warranty is up. Just outright embarrassing.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have only talked to the service manager so far, and he wasn't willing to do anything about it. This was my first Ford vehicle, and will likely be my last.
I can't say I'm surprised. Ford really needs to do a better job of taking care of their customers if they want to keep them.

I had a rattle coming from the collision warning "hud" on top of the dash. I reported the issue to my dealer at 35,700 miles. They couldn't schedule me in for 2 weeks. I told them that I would be over the 36,000 mile warranty in 2 weeks but by reporting the issue to them in the warranty period, it would be covered. The lady tried to tell me it didn't work that way. I then told her my dad was a lawyer, and I know how warranties work and data/mileage at the time the issue was reported is what matters. The lady then loudly stated, "That's fraud! I'm going to call the Alabama Bar and report your dad!" Needless to say, I'm never going back to that dealer.
Sponsored