Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My car had the engine replaced before I bought it. I bought it with 2700 miles.

racer02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot
Count me in. 2018 with about 1900 mi on it failed 2.5 months into ownership.
Spun main bearing and rod through the block but Ford never told what actually failed that contributed to it seizing. 52 days to repair due to backordered parts.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Worth Doing

Does anyone here have a realistic estimate of the percentage of Shelby owners that are members here? Say, 5 or 10 percent of total units sold? If a reasonable and conservative percentage estimate could be derived,
Putting up a poll could be of some value.

My .02. BTW, I also had an LS7 Vette, and near as I could tell based on extensive conversations within the community, including tuners, there
Was definitely a problem with at least 5-7 percent of these engines
Dropping valves... Of course, GM never admittedly to anything. In my case,
I had new 5 axis CNC Brodix LS7 style heads done by one of the best
Shops in the country - the one that KATECH goes to.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I suppose a percentage in this forum population with blown engines would be a good representation ballpark, if you extrapolate out to the number of units sold.

OP
OP
S550VIN54

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I definitely think it would be good information as to why it may be happening too. I heard that it was costing Ford 34K for the engine replacement. At that rate that has to be getting someone's attention! But then again it all depends if this is a systemic issue.
That might explain why the extended warranty increased significantly.

tom185

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did anyone get definitive feedback as to what the actual failed component was when they lost the engine? If I recall, regarding a number of the failures that I've read about on this forum, Ford was tight lipped as to the root cause and any feedback gathered came from the dealer service departments or there was basically no feedback at all, just "we'll replace the engine". The one that seems the most consistent is excessive oil usage, but OPG and spun bearings seem to come up too. It also appears that Ford doesn’t like the dealer doing any post mortems.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Did anyone get definitive feedback as to what the actual failed component was when they lost the engine? If I recall, regarding a number of the failures that I've read about on this forum, Ford was tight lipped as to the root cause and any feedback gathered came from the dealer service departments or there was basically no feedback at all, just "we'll replace the engine". The one that seems the most consistent is excessive oil usage, but OPG and spun bearings seem to come up too. It also appears that Ford doesn’t like the dealer doing any post mortems.
Ford wouldn’t give me nor my dealer any info on why it failed.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I had 2200 miles on my track pack before I sold it. It had some oil consumption.
Otherwise no issues. Almost 900 miles on the R, so far no issues. My brother uses his R as a track car, it’s starting to consume some oil, but still holding together. This is the first I’m hearing of multiple people with replaced motors.

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
I had engine issue at 7k miles. It's at dealer right now and most likely getting a new engine but still waiting for Ford to make a decision.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I definitely think it would be good information as to why it may be happening too. I heard that it was costing Ford 34K for the engine replacement. At that rate that has to be getting someone's attention! But then again it all depends if this is a systemic issue.
That might explain why the extended warranty increased significantly.
At that rate the car is a liability to both Ford and the customer outside of warranty for any reason. The internal cost to Ford is $34,000? So what does that add up to for a customer paying for it? Not confidence inspiring.

I was actually thinking about slowly building a spare engine and build is stouter.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
BTW, you no longer have the matching engine/chassis serial number. They throw that in as an added bonus.

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
I had engine issue at 7k miles. It's at dealer right now and most likely getting a new engine but still waiting for Ford to make a decision.
I had identical experience to yours. 2017 LB gt350, needing a new engine at 7k miles.. weird.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
there are 7 GT350/R in my group. 6 are 2017, 1 2016
5 tracks the car, but not much (2-5 times). of the 5 - 2 engines went kaboom. 2 (not the same as blown engine ones) had alternator bolts backing out while on track, belt coming off, engine overheats, goes into limp mode......

I think it is a flat plane crank thing. Ferrari FPC engines have vibration related issues also.

lesson would be track the hell out of it, then park it after warranty is over.

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
Miss the z28?

I've seen some pop up in the low 40s.
I do miss it sometimes.

The GT350R is more fun to drive, but believe it or not, the Camaro was bolted together much better. Cheap interior, but it did not buzz or rattle after 15K very hard miles on a track only focused suspension.