Sponsored

2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Tell him to write that shit on the invoice. I bet he will never do it.
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Some of you that own a mustang with 3.73 torsen will have the clunking and noisy tranny. This is 100% normal.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I am very interested to see if this issue as well as the engine rattle are present on the 2019s.
I wonder if the 2019's will have the grind since they have rev match?
Me too dudes, I guess the three of us are in this shit together since we have the same issues. Are you guys noticing vibration in your clutch more often now? I don't hear the whirring sound but my clutch vibrates a bit now. It does it after I have driven the car for a bit, not sure wtf is going on. I figure everyone should have it if its a dual clutch thing.

Tell him to write that shit on the invoice. I bet he will never do it.
Lol probably not

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've had a vibration in the clutch pedal when it's grinding since the beginning. According to the inept engineers at Ford who watched my video, all is normal.

Sponsored

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I have been reading your posts to see if anyone is talking about my issue which sounds a bit different:

2018-MT82D4 I have a "clunk-clunk" noise when I depress the clutch going from first to 2,3 gear. Car has only 1500 km and been doing this since day one. This is happening even at very low speed, as an example if in first gear without touching the accelerator car is moving on its own at about 5 km, depressing the clutch you clearly hear the "clunk-clunk" coming from the clutch/transmission area. It seems that the more you shift with the engine RPM not matching perfectly the worst the noise is. Brought it to the dealer and one technician that works on Mustangs took it for a short drive and acknowledged the issue but said he had never seen this and will need to check with ford. Ticket was open but no news back from the dealer yet.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of noise?

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I just noticed the grinding noise when letting the clutch out over 5k rpm. I just got my 2019 GT (September 18 build) still going easy on it for the first 1k miles and decided to run it just above 5k on a 2nd to 3rd at less than 1/2 throttle and heard the grind when letting the clutch out. I was able to repeat it.

I have had a twin disc clutch in the past but this noise is new to me. Hopefully it dose turn out to be an issue.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Any updates from anyone? I have a '19 Bullitt and it grinds under hard, high RPM upshifts. Built 10/2/18.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I just had my long block replaced and I asked the mechanic to look at the clutch and flywheel while everything was pulled apart. He said everything was fine but he put it back together better than ford because it's not grinding any more. I tried hard to make it grind and I can't duplicate. Definitely have Ford report it.
Maybe the tech clocked your bell

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is what the clutch grinding on my car sounded like shortly before I turned it over to Ford last week as part of the buyback. It had about 7000 miles on the clock. As in the video in my original post (I made the video available again), the grinding happens when shifting above 4k RPM. Similar to mvfjet, I also had the long block replaced, but in my case, the grinding didn't get any better. The second dealer I went to ordered a new flywheel and clutch (which were on back-order again), but I ended up going for the buyback and the repair was never completed. It would have been nice to have had them replaced and confirm if that fixes the issue so everyone else with this problem can get it addressed.

In the video below, the Mustang chief engineer Carl Widmann mentions that he drove over 100 clutches when they were developing the 2018. LMAO, 100+ clutches and this is the best they could come up with?

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine sounds like that too when shifting at high rpm. After I started having a mild slippage issue on the highway, they replaced my clutch with a brand new one. Then, the new one sounds exactly the same when shifting at high rpm. (No more slip though)

Guess what? It's a twin disc clutch, and is entirely normal. Especially if you feather it a little, then the floater plate will tend to sound like that as it's compressing and catching up to the engine rpm. When power shifting, you won't hear it so much, because it locks almost immediately. Tons of cars with twin disc clutches sound exactly like that. I'm very surprised your dealer thought it was a problem.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have driven 5-6 other 2018 GTs including cars on both dealers' lots and none of them sounded like that, hence why the dealer also thought it's a problem. Last month, I drove two GT350s which also have a twin disk clutch and neither one sounded like that.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have driven 5-6 other 2018 GTs including cars on both dealers' lots and none of them sounded like that, hence why the dealer also thought it's a problem. Last month, I drove two GT350s which also have a twin disk clutch and neither one sounded like that.
That's funny, because BOTH my clutches sound just like that when you feather a certain way at high rpm, and the others I test drove also did the same thing. It all depends on how high the rpm is when shifting, and how much you feather the clutch. If you release the clutch at high rpm at just the right moment, it won't make that sound, but it does happen a lot due to the way the operator shifts. The way you shift may be slightly different which prevents it. The way I shift it happens on occasion. The way he was shifting and feathering quite a bit at high rpm, I can see how it happens a lot.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
It's definitely from "feathering" the clutch in my case. I knew that from the start. I just thought there was a problem since my '15 didn't do it. I'm guessing it didn't have a DCT???

I still think it shouldn't do it, no matter what clutch it has.
Sponsored