Sponsored

Rev9 Stainless Exhaust

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
I asked this question in another forum, but I would like to ask it here also as there is a much larger member base here to draw from.

I came upon Rev9 CB-023 Ford Mustang 2015 and Up 2.3L EcoBoost Dual Cat-Back Exhaust on Amazon priced at $348. It is a stainless steel exhaust from tip to catback connect.

I have heard a couple of sound bites at idle and being raised from a stand still. Also found one under on road acceleration. But listening to sound bites are always questionable.

Now the sound ain't bad, matter of fact from what I heard it is better than ain't bad almost better than acceptably good.

The catch being that it reads "off road use". When I posted a question to the Amazon Community as to this designation I was told it was due to taxation...now I'm no tax attorney but if this exhaust is imported the "off road use" designation may in fact hold merit as to escaping some import taxation.

I don't see how this set up would be any different than if you were to go to your local muffler shop and have a catback exhaust designed, cut and installed on your Mustang...….but then?

If the "off road use" designation is in fact an import tax loophole, where does the tax liability end? Is it with the manufacturer, the importer, the retailer or the end user?

Finally coming to an end here, would you run this exhaust on your daily driver Ecoboost Mustang?

If you are wondering if anywhere on the exhaust itself it is labeled "Off Road Only" I don't know. I have asked, but have failed to get an answer.

WOW, all of these questions and I didn't even bring up as to if this would effect any warranty claims in the future.
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Here's an opinion:

$348 is 'WAAAY too little money to pay for a CBE. Therefore, you will be getting a grossly inferior product in terms of quality/longevity and - to some degree - fit.

I believe the "off road" designation is more focused on the lack of sound deadening (and perhaps emissions) as opposed to anything administrative. (The manufacturers are just inserting a little C.Y.A. language) You see the same notation on cat-less DP's.

The piece(s) will rust FAST; you will find yourself wishing you'd spent a little more after only a short time.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Here's an opinion:

$348 is 'WAAAY too little money to pay for a CBE. Therefore, you will be getting a grossly inferior product in terms of quality/longevity and - to some degree - fit.

I believe the "off road" designation is more focused on the lack of sound deadening (and perhaps emissions) as opposed to anything administrative. (The manufacturers are just inserting a little C.Y.A. language) You see the same notation on cat-less DP's.

The piece(s) will rust FAST; you will find yourself wishing you'd spent a little more after only a short time.
Actually any more than $348 is grossly over priced. You can buy Magna Flow stainless mufflers retail for $65 each and 20' of stainless tubing for $40. That's retail so the actual cost is much less so how does Magna Flow justify $800 for a cat back? It's called price gouging.

The system is likely 409 stainless which is the same stuff the factory system is made of. It may get some surface rust but will last the life of the car.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm not one to buy into the price-equals-quality argument. As a general rule, higher quality kit costs more to produce, but that is not the same thing as saying you can make evaluative judgements about a product you've never seen based on price alone. For example, sticker on a nicely equipped 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium will run in the low-to-mid 30s. The Audi A5 coupe premium (which I view as comparable based on its 250 hp 2.0L four cylinder) starts at nearly $43k. Is the Audi a "better" car because it costs +$10K more?

Cat back exhaust systems are one of the most popular aftermarket products for the boy racer crowd, mainly because the stock exhaust systems on most 4-cyl cars--and especially turbocharged ones--sound so bland. dgc333 correctly notes the total sum for individual parts doesn't justify the asking price for most complete systems currently offered, but demand drives price, so established players are able to charge premium prices.

Rev9, on the other hand, is a relatively new player--I've never heard of them. It's not unusual for a company trying to break into a market to low-ball their prices to get units sold and establish a reputation.

If you look at the reviews (two which are "verified purchase," which means the writer actually purchased the system at Amazon) for this system every one says it's a good fit. And the seller (Pro Tuning) has a 96% positive lifetime rating.

That the system fits well says nothing, of course, about the quality of the material. But that's easily tested. If you purchase from Amazon you are usually protected from fraud via the return policy: if what you receive isn't what you ordered you can ship it back for free. The Returns & Refund policy for Pro Tuning appears to be the same as Amazon's, but if you want to order this product simply call Pro Tuning and confirm. If they don't have a no-questions-asked return policy then don't buy it. If they do, order the system look it over. For that price I wouldn't expect to see perfect welds, but at least competent. Are the mufflers flimsy? Push on the side; does it flex like a tin can? Look inside with a flashlight. Are the internals well-fitted and attached? If you're not sure what you're looking at take one of the mufflers to your local exhaust shop. Anyone with a bit of experience working with stainless can tell you if the parts are indeed stainless. If the parts are made of what the manufacturer claims then go ahead and install with confidence.

If the parts are not what the manufacturer claims, are of poor quality workmanship and/or don't fit simply return the system and get your money back. You will have risked and lost a small amount your time for an opportunity to save hundreds of dollars. Seems like a good risk to me.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
I just bought one last night. Ill be sure to comment about it whenever I receive it!

Sponsored

SteedaGrrl

2Fast2Furious
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6-speed
Rev9 is a highly respected manufacturer/seller in the Miata community (where I come from). Quality products and excellent customer service, too. He stands by his products. Go on any Miata site and you'll hear nothing but praises.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I've had my eye on this as well so am definitely waiting to hear your feedback.

I currently have a MBRP CB which replaced my muffler delete. I honestly miss my muffler delete and the couple sound clips I've heard of this sound similar to my delete. Even if this has fitment issues, it cant be any worse than my MBRP that sometimes rubs on the rear k subframe and costs almost twice as much as this.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You folks are sure making it difficult not to Pony up the $348 and place an order for one of these systems.
Let me add it up:
$511 for the FPP Tune and intake the arrived today.
$148 for the FPP tower and cowl braces on backorder for 2 weeks.
$348 for the Rev9 exhaust system.

$1,007 Total for a little performance fun!!!
PRICELESS!!!!

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
I've had my eye on this as well so am definitely waiting to hear your feedback.

I currently have a MBRP CB which replaced my muffler delete. I honestly miss my muffler delete and the couple sound clips I've heard of this sound similar to my delete. Even if this has fitment issues, it cant be any worse than my MBRP that sometimes rubs on the rear k subframe and costs almost twice as much as this.

I had the MBRP race on my 2015 and I was catless as well. We'll see how the rev9 compares.

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
Where'd you get the strut tower/cowl brace for $148 [MENTION=35651]jonrjen[/MENTION] ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where'd you get the strut tower/cowl brace for $148 [MENTION=35651]jonrjen[/MENTION] ?
LevittownFordParts.com

They are a Sponsor Vendor here on the forum. If you contact them via the Vendor link they may send you a Code for free shipping.

The sturt tower/cowl brace are currently on back order until the first week or so of July. When the shipment comes in it will be filled in order of orders received.

I also purchased my Ford Performance EB kit from them, which I received yesterday. I saved $49 on shipping with the code that they PM'd me. The kit was only $511 delivered.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
My exhaust is out for delivery right now. Hope to get home from work early and mayyyybbbeeeee be able to go to the shop and get it on! if not today then hopefully tomorrow!

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
My exhaust is out for delivery right now. Hope to get home from work early and mayyyybbbeeeee be able to go to the shop and get it on! if not today then hopefully tomorrow!
Do you know how easy it is to pull the mufflers and resonator out from underneath ..

2 bolts and 2 nuts and slide it out ,..

Take some pics and do a write up on the welds as you see them . Then assemble the rev 9 CB .. install and your rocking your ego ...

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Do you know how easy it is to pull the mufflers and resonator out from underneath ..

2 bolts and 2 nuts and slide it out ,..

Take some pics and do a write up on the welds as you see them . Then assemble the rev 9 CB .. install and your rocking your ego ...

I understand how easy it is....but I'm in Houston Texas. We have the heat AND humidity haha. I normally do things on my own, but the heat index is way over 100. :faint:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I understand how easy it is....but I'm in Houston Texas. We have the heat AND humidity haha. I normally do things on my own, but the heat index is way over 100. :faint:
You are'nt afraid of a little sweat now , or are you ? Take pics when you unpack the CB atleast and do a thorough exam . Of the quality .
Sponsored