Sponsored

Final gear ratio in manual EU EcoBoosts: 3.31 or 3.55?

What is the model year and gear ratio of your EU spec EcoBoost Manual?

• MY 2015 with 3.31 gears

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • MY 2015 with 3.55 gears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MY 2016 with 3.31 gears

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • MY 2016 with 3.55 gears

• MY 2017 with 3.31 gears

• MY 2017 with 3.55 gears

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
In our new FB group we discussed the final gear ratio that the EU manual EcoBoost models have. Ford has put out different specifications in their documentation, stating in 2014 that it would be 3.55 and in a newer version of the same document 3.31.

Many people have been assuming that since all EU cars come with what in the US is called the Performance Package they would all have the 3.55 gears, that are part of this package.

However when the final EU emission values came out in early 2015 the weirdest thing happened. Where the GT car showed an emisson difference of 18 grams CO2 in favor of the automatic over the manual on the EcoBoost it came out the other way around, with the manual having a whopping 46 grams less CO2 emission than the automatic. The only slightly sensible explanation for that would be a lower final gear ratio, aka 3.31 on the manual versus 3.55 for the automatic.

So ever since this has made perfect sense to me, until this week fellow forum member MakStang from Greece mentions that his manual EcoBoost has 3.55 gears. This made me look up my own car (MY 2016) plus various other Dutch 2015 and 2016 cars that I happen to have the VIN number of and they all came out having 3.31 gears.

Now this is an interesting topic. Does Ford sneakliy use different gear ratios in different countries? Or did they perhaps change it for MY 2017? Or is MakStang's car a freak error perhaps?

To find out it would be interesting to check cars from different countries around Europe and see what they come up with. You can look yours up by entering your VIN number in this page:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

A double verification can be found on the label in the passenger door jamb. If it states GG you have 3.31 gears, if it states DD you have 3.55's.

Please note this is about EU spec manual EcoBoosts only. The automatics all have 3.55 gears.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
Nice poll Ericc!

As I said in the FB group, my 2016 manual has 3.31.

IΒ΄ve check my friendΒ΄s 2015 manual and he is also wearing 3.31. Just out of curiosity I checked other friendΒ΄s 2016 auto 'vert and he has 3.55.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I firmly believe they all have 3.31s and this was a "late change" to the model to comply with silly co2 emissions regulations. Note how it barely squeaks under the 180g limit from Belgium? I'm also of the opinion that the EMS is "tweaked" for lower emissions on the manual... Ford simply wanted a low price for the entry model because we all know it's a "cheap" car over there...

of course, sticking with my auto I won't be answering your poll and the entire discussion isn't really much of an issue for me :D

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Just checked the passenger door, "GG", so I have 3.31 :)

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Nice thread [MENTION=7100]Ericc B[/MENTION]. I just saw it. We had a great discussion on the issue on the Mustang Europe group on Facebook indeed!

Just a correction: My car is an auto EcoBoost model 2017, not a manual. That's why it has a gear ratio of 3.55.

To those interested, these are the codes that indicate the different gear ratios (shown on the sticker on the passenger door):

BB - 3.73 ratio
CC - 2.73 ratio
DD - 3.55 ratio (mine is DD)
GG - 3.31 ratio
YY - 3.15 ratio

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Bit late to the party, but UK RHD and I'm .31 too... annoyingly... So who wants to do a rod and pinion swap or torsen swap to a .73 for me lol.

#FTheEnvironment

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
As we have discussed in our group on FB, Tune + Intercooler + 3.73 gear ratio (with Torsen if possible) is the trifecta for performance on the EcoBoost!

However, I abandoned the idea of swapping my 3.55 with a 3.73 gear ratio because the dealer told me that they will have to tear apart the differential for the installation and when they put it back together, it might not end up as good as when it was stock... :shrug:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
As we have discussed in our group on FB, Tune + Intercooler + 3.73 gear ratio (with Torsen if possible) is the trifecta for performance on the EcoBoost!

However, I abandoned the idea of swapping my 3.55 with a 3.73 gear ratio because the dealer told me that they will have to tear apart the differential for the installation and when they put it back together, it might not end up as good as when it was stock... :shrug:
Unless you buy a new diff in which case it'll be fine... or you don't give your car to incompetent mongs...

Trifecta is more like Downpipe, Intercooler, Wastegate followed by plugs, etc ;)!a torsen would be glorious, especially for low end. :thumbsup:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking to combine my 3.55 gears with a Torsen, but I decided against it, because for the time being I love driving my car slideways! So I will buy a Torsen when I grow up! For the time being I will enjoy my car :D
Sponsored