Ticking from clutch?

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Anyone know anything about a ticking noise coming from the clutch?

My symptom is that when starting from a stop I can hear a ticking noise in the lower RPMs. If I shift into/starting from first/second gear at low rpm the tick is there as well. Tick gets faster as the RPM climbs up to about 1.8k, but no noise when revving in neutral.

We replicated it by trying to start from first gear with e-brake on. At a point where the car's about to pull out from the brake, the ticking noise shows up.

Possible loose/broken springs? Car drives fine otherwise besides the ticking that's driving me nuts. How do I convince the dealership to fix it?
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Can you hear the ticking if coasting slow in neutral and clutch engaged?

If so, then it's probably transmission and not clutch if you can't make it tick in neutral and revving while sitting still.

OP
OP

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Can you hear the ticking if coasting slow in neutral and clutch engaged?

If so, then it's probably transmission and not clutch if you can't make it tick in neutral and revving while sitting still.
Is clutch engaged = pressing down the pedal? Regardless, it does not tick once it's coasting either in gear or in neutral. It ticks during the phase where the clutch starts grabbing, and slightly during acceleration, like for a couple of seconds once the clutch pedal is fully released but will go away if I release the throttle or when engine reaches a higher rpm.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is clutch engaged = pressing down the pedal? Regardless, it does not tick once it's coasting either in gear or in neutral. It ticks during the phase where the clutch starts grabbing, and slightly during acceleration, like for a couple of seconds once the clutch pedal is fully released but will go away if I release the throttle or when engine reaches a higher rpm.
Clutch engaged means pedal up, clutch locked up. From what you said here, it sounds like it could be the clutch. If it was something in the transmission, it would probably make ticking noises if coasting with it in gear or in neutral.

OP
OP

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Clutch engaged means pedal up, clutch locked up. From what you said here, it sounds like it could be the clutch. If it was something in the transmission, it would probably make ticking noises if coasting with it in gear or in neutral.
Thanks for the input. Any point in bringing it in the dealer?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Good luck with a dealer and a clutch issue... the horror.
With 16,000 miles I don't think I want to bother with it. Gonna put away a rainy day fund for an aftermarket clutch.

Hit Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Hunt
Same issue here that just started for me. 2015 GT PP with 19k miles. I bought it with 17k.

My clutch engagement also seems very inconsistent.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I wonder if 1/2 of these clutch issues are more to do with the flywheel clunking around being a two piece.

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I had a McLeod RST clutch installed and I think I'm experiencing the same thing. It seems to happen in Reverse or 1st when I'm letting the clutch out and the car is beginning to move. It's like a clicking/ticking noise, and my buddy also thought it was very strange. I've beat the shit out of it and nothing has broken yet though, so I don't know.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Dredging up an old thread.... I have the same thing. It first started a couple months ago after driving back from a track day in Savannah and I basically ran through all of the worst-case scenarios of 'what did I fuck up' on the car. ;) It sounds like valve/lifter tapping but more of an 'electric' sound vs mechanical down near the left side of the foot well. As best I can tell you can't hear it outside of the cabin, and it doesn't happen when the clutch is depressed.

While in gear the volume and pace increases with throttle, but not proportionally to rpm. I.E, cruising in 6th @ 70mph it will get louder and slightly faster under throttle but rpms aren't increasing much at all.

Since I just changed my clutch and the sound persists, I think it's pretty safe to rule that out.

Are there any throttle/pedal related electronics in that vicinity that could be the source?

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Dredging up an old thread.... I have the same thing. It first started a couple months ago after driving back from a track day in Savannah and I basically ran through all of the worst-case scenarios of 'what did I fuck up' on the car. ;) It sounds like valve/lifter tapping but more of an 'electric' sound vs mechanical down near the left side of the foot well. As best I can tell you can't hear it outside of the cabin, and it doesn't happen when the clutch is depressed.

While in gear the volume and pace increases with throttle, but not proportionally to rpm. I.E, cruising in 6th @ 70mph it will get louder and slightly faster under throttle but rpms aren't increasing much at all.

Since I just changed my clutch and the sound persists, I think it's pretty safe to rule that out.

Are there any throttle/pedal related electronics in that vicinity that could be the source?
Please let me know what you find out. I have a noise that sounds almost like the igniter on a grill, the ticking sound when trying to get it started. Doesn't do it idling really but if I hit the gas to ~1000 rpm it will start the ticking sound. It'll do it in 1st or reverse as well. Haven't heard it at all outside of that RPM range though. I saw water dripping from my driver side cat so might be that my stock headers or something there is leaking?

OP
OP

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Noise is still there, at 23k miles now.

LG23

Threads