(unconfirmed) Source of AC Evap Failures Possibly Identified [POLL]

Has your AC failed?

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This is what I expect is happening to mine. I had it fail suddenly about a month ago, it was recharged and has been working fine ever since. When I had it in for oil service about 1200 miles ago I had them check the A/C system and they said it tested fine and they could not detect any loss of refrigerant. I think my leak must be very small. I plan to wait until it fails again and then press for a new evaporator (maybe there will be a better replacement in several months).
From another thread, sounds like there is already an updated evaporator.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1497612&postcount=5
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Has anyone noticed a noise not unlike an air compressor since the fix? It also seems that I'm either hearing my turbo more prominently, or something else wheezing under load from the passenger dash area... I may take it back to get looked at.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is interesting tech.

Has it been confirmed that the sensor that is screwed into the aluminum evaporator core is:
1) Made of metal or plastic?
2) If plastic, is failure due to possibly assembly line cross thread or damage to evap core sensor hole during installation?
3) If metal - what type (and see below)

So if the sensor IS metal, the bigger question would be, what type? The reason for the question is, aluminum is not compatible with all other metals. In fact, if certain metals are near aluminum OR in direct contact, it can cause fatigue and/or accelerated corrosion to the aluminum object (electrolysis). Ford's Super Duper Engineering Team should know about such incompatibilities.

Reference:
http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/desi...osion-resistance/#toc-aluminium-and-fasteners

This is also why some aftermarket radiators will rot through sometimes if they are installed directly to a steel radiator support. In fact, there have been such claims over the years about this very fact and some of the solution is to ground the radiator to avoid the corrosion or use a rubber buffer between the radiator and core support so the 2 metals do not come in contact with each other.

Eric R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 6MT
ok updated pole. confirmed evaporator went out - car is fixed but getting the smoking at idle issue fixed right now and waiting on parts...(intake manifold gasket).

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
My service adviser called yesterday. It is the evaporator core which I figured of course.

Sponsored

NolaJo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic/Saddle
I chose the third option on the poll but I guess that's not really correct. They just said it was low on freon and recharged it. They couldn't find a leak but I would imagine they didn't check the evaporator. So far it's working but it's only been about a week.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I chose the third option on the poll but I guess that's not really correct. They just said it was low on freon and recharged it. They couldn't find a leak but I would imagine they didn't check the evaporator. So far it's working but it's only been about a week.
I would have included the ability to change your answer, but the forum does not seem to support it. Maybe that's something [MENTION=1]Jarstang[/MENTION] can look into?

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
My replaced evaporator part number is FR3Z-19850-M. Ford Parts lists that it replaces FR3Z-19850-C, FR3Z-19850-H. I don't know what part number they removed from my car.

Last edited:

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
Dropped mine off this morning, the car started acting up before I even got to the dealership (perfect timing)... waited maybe 30 minutes before they confirmed it was the vapor core. There were 2 other vehicles that their AC tech had in queue needing the vapor core replaced, neither were mustangs.

chris_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium PP
Just dropped mine off this morning and they called me around noon to say I had a failed evaporator core and the freon was all leaked out. It first started getting hot when I sat in my car for about 20 min in 95 degree weather, driver side went out first. There was a noticeably loud sound when the AC was running, I would hear it over it my corsa extreme exhaust. Luckily they have the part in stock in are going to start tomorrow.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does anyone know exactly how the evaporator core fails? Bad welds that open up, leaky connections, cracked core ... ?? Has anyone seen the failed part and have been shown by the dealer exactly what the failure is?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The issue could be anything. It could be that connection of the probe but it could be one of many other potential defects. One thing for sure, if a car suddenly loses all refrigerant, simply recharging the system without trying to diagnose is stupid on the part of a dealer. They need to immediately inspect for a leak. Heck, I have a 13 year old car that still blows cold and I've never added refrigerant. Normal leakage occurs over years, not days. A/C part mfrs have to comply with insanely tight leak standards. Microscopic porosity in braze filler material can fail components.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I live in Phoenix. An AC failure would be a deal-breaker. What can we expect from Ford about this?

So far my '15 is still fine after a year but I only have 8,800 miles on it.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I live in Phoenix. An AC failure would be a deal-breaker. What can we expect from Ford about this?

One can assume at this point a TSB is in process. Of course in the meantime, it's all covered under warranty for those of us who haven't driven a massive amount of miles in two years or less.

Eric R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 6MT

Mine went out at and was in the shop at 8,887 miles for my 2015 :D , just be on the lookout.
Sponsored