Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Here's an update:

Just got my car back from Ford. The service ticket says:

"Vibration/moan present starting at 55mph from center/rear of vehicle. Ran Oasis symptom codes& performed SSM45938 inspections. EVA results determined prop shaft vibration. Attempted balancing of driveshaft using hose clamps as instructed in WSM. Unable to improve vibration. Re-indexed rear driveshaft at diff with no improvement. Reindexed front shaft at yoke 1/3 turn and some improvement was made. Neutralized trans mount, diff mounts with little improvement. Vibration improved but still present. Will order replacement driveshaft."

Here's what I say: the vibration is improved prob 75%. The rumbling noise is still there. I'll wait to see what the new ds does (it'll be the second replacement).

Does anyone know what it means to "neutralize trans mount, diff mounts?"

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Here's an update:

Just got my car back from Ford. The service ticket says:

"Vibration/moan present starting at 55mph from center/rear of vehicle. Ran Oasis symptom codes& performed SSM45938 inspections. EVA results determined prop shaft vibration. Attempted balancing of driveshaft using hose clamps as instructed in WSM. Unable to improve vibration. Re-indexed rear driveshaft at diff with no improvement. Reindexed front shaft at yoke 1/3 turn and some improvement was made. Neutralized trans mount, diff mounts with little improvement. Vibration improved but still present. Will order replacement driveshaft."

Here's what I say: the vibration is improved prob 75%. The rumbling noise is still there. I'll wait to see what the new ds does (it'll be the second replacement).

Does anyone know what it means to "neutralize trans mount, diff mounts?"
they loosened the bolts on the mount and let them find their center then re-tightened them.

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I've just noticed something with my vibration it starts right around 2850 RPM and starts to go away around 4k I generally shift right around 3k and never noticed the vibration as much as the first three gear go rather quick in my car. I realized once I shift from 5 to six at 3K the vibration seems to go away then if I increase speed to 70 it slowly starts coming back. Now I'm worried something in my engine is out of balance. Is there anyway to check this?

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
I've just noticed something with my vibration it starts right around 2850 RPM and starts to go away around 4k I generally shift right around 3k and never noticed the vibration as much as the first three gear go rather quick in my car. I realized once I shift from 5 to six at 3K the vibration seems to go away then if I increase speed to 70 it slowly starts coming back. Now I'm worried something in my engine is out of balance. Is there anyway to check this?
Car stationary, trans in N and parking brake engaged - slowly bring the RPMs up to 4k. No vibe, prob not engine related.

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
It's adjustable as far as it can be moved within the allowance of the holes in the bracket. I'd tell you exactly how I did it but I already posted it in this thread (which has gotten WAY too big) and I can't find it. We all came up with two fixes: the hanger bearing bracket and the hose clamp fix. Both have worked for my car. Neither has made it to a sticky. Neither was allowed to be its own thread. As such, we're stuck with having to read 223 pages of posts about off topic things like what is going this weekend, etc. Again I'm being abrasive and bitter, but this thread has grown so large as to be useless to anyone except someone who wants to spend HOURS if not DAYS reading through it all trying to pull out the few bits of good info there is amongst all the whining...

If anyone with a relentless vibe is on Long Island, PM me, come to my house and I will make your vibe go away...

John
I would try this if I had a flat driveway to work on it, but I don't. Maybe I can get a friend to help.. I read your post as it was linked to in another post, and it seems simple enough and makes sense, but how about my experience? I had a total fix from the dealer, Cadillac smooth, after 2 driveshafts and a new diff. I drove it home on a Friday and it was perfect. After sitting in my sloped driveway(leaning back) for a day and a half with the car in Park AND the parking brake on, it vibrated again. Something in the IRS moved maybe? Regardless if I ever get satisfaction out of this car, it's not only my last Ford, but my last American car. I've learned my lesson, but it would be nice to enjoy mine a little bit since I need to keep it a while. Makes me sick, I'm trying to get debt free and now I have to buy another car in a couple years? And it's gonna be a boring pile cause.... yeah, no more debt slavery for me.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I would try this if I had a flat driveway to work on it, but I don't. Maybe I can get a friend to help.. I read your post as it was linked to in another post, and it seems simple enough and makes sense, but how about my experience? I had a total fix from the dealer, Cadillac smooth, after 2 driveshafts and a new diff. I drove it home on a Friday and it was perfect. After sitting in my sloped driveway(leaning back) for a day and a half with the car in Park AND the parking brake on, it vibrated again. Something in the IRS moved maybe? Regardless if I ever get satisfaction out of this car, it's not only my last Ford, but my last American car. I've learned my lesson, but it would be nice to enjoy mine a little bit since I need to keep it a while. Makes me sick, I'm trying to get debt free and now I have to buy another car in a couple years? And it's gonna be a boring pile cause.... yeah, no more debt slavery for me.
I wish you the best to get your car in working order.

I am purchasing a 2018 GT Premium A10 and this is my first American car and I am worried hearing all the issues the Mustang is having.:rant: My current car is a 2010 Infiniti G37x and it has been trouble free for the 85K miles I have put on it. I really hope this car is not a pile of junk :/

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I wish you the best to get your car in working order.

I am purchasing a 2018 GT Premium A10 and this is my first American car and I am worried hearing all the issues the Mustang is having.:rant: My current car is a 2010 Infiniti G37x and it has been trouble free for the 85K miles I have put on it. I really hope this car is not a pile of junk :/
I dont think we have an 18 with this yet

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Gads I got on this thread to try to find an answer, but don't have the next month to read this monster. Quick question - '17 Ecoboost vibe free for 27,000 miles.

Then all of a sudden at 27k miles, under load (6th gear at 60mph then hit the gas) it developed a severe shudder / vibration. It happened during one acceleration suddenly and has stayed, as if a u-joint popped or motor mount loosed, or a tranny innard came apart. It does NOT vibrate/shudder during cruise or while not under load -it happens when the engine is lugged at lower rpms such as going uphill in high gear while accelerating.

I took it in to the dealer and he called back saying it is this 50-70 mph issue and he is sending the driveshaft out to be balanced on some special $5k driveshaft balance machine they don't have at the dealereship.

Does my problem sound like this 50 - 70 mph vibration issue or does the dealer need to look at something else?

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Gads I got on this thread to try to find an answer, but don't have the next month to read this monster. Quick question - '17 Ecoboost vibe free for 27,000 miles.

Then all of a sudden at 27k miles, under load (6th gear at 60mph then hit the gas) it developed a severe shudder / vibration. It happened during one acceleration suddenly and has stayed, as if a u-joint popped or motor mount loosed, or a tranny innard came apart. It does NOT vibrate/shudder during cruise or while not under load -it happens when the engine is lugged such as going uphill in high gear while accelerating.

I took it in to the dealer and he called back saying it is this issue and he is sending the driveshaft out to be balanced on some special $5k driveshaft balance machine they don't have at the dealereship.

Does my problem sound like this 50 - 70 mph vibration issue or does the dealer need to look at something else?
Sounds like a sub frame or carrier bushing let loose to me.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not the same problem

With the 50-70 Mph vibration, it will happen in any gear at any RPM, as long as the vehicle is at the "vibrating speed". (resonant frequency) For me it was 68Mph and I could be coasting, neutral, accelerating, 4th gear, 5th gear, 6th gear. No change. If the DS is not balanced, then it will vibrate, regardless of many other conditions.

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)

Then all of a sudden at 27k miles, under load (6th gear at 60mph then hit the gas) it developed a severe shudder / vibration. It happened during one acceleration suddenly and has stayed, as if a u-joint popped or motor mount loosed, or a tranny innard came apart. It does NOT vibrate/shudder during cruise or while not under load -it happens when the engine is lugged at lower rpms such as going uphill in high gear while accelerating.

I took it in to the dealer and he called back saying it is this 50-70 mph issue and he is sending the driveshaft out to be balanced on some special $5k driveshaft balance machine they don't have at the dealereship.

Balancing the DS probably can't hurt but I agree that the DS may not be the source of your vibration. I have the dreaded 50-70 vib and have read this entire thread (although not in one sitting, LOL). Most people with that (incl me) feel it at a particular speed (everyone's speed seems to be slightly different) regardless of gear, engine load, etc.

I might ask them to look at the rear diff. It experiences increased forces under acceleration. A mount, carrier bearing or something else might me out of whack. They checked the diff on my '17 Ecoboost with similar miles. The pinion carrier bearing had excessive wear. They replaced the whole thing. It didn't solve the problem but loosening the tranny, diff and DS center carrier bearing mounts, letting them find their own places and retightening helped a lot. We are now waiting on a new DS from Ford. I read in one of the forums that Ford may have made a design change to help the situation. The new part is on backorder and is due in at the end of the month. Stay tuned....

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the input. My service manager has already corresponded with Ford engineer and the protocol is to try the driveshaft balance / replacement first before going further and looking at other possibilities. They can't find a local place with the required balancing machine so they have to order a driveshaft. Looks like I'll get a new driveshaft whether I need one or not. :shrug:
Sponsored