Sponsored

MGW shifter install tips and tricks

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hi all,

Has anyone installed it themselves that found any little tips and tricks to make the install easier and less troublesome? The video by MGW is really good but anybody have anything they would've done differently if they can do it again that they'd like to share?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I watched the videos about 5 times each preparing for the install. I got to the point where I was completely comfortable doing the install without a manual.

All of the tips have generally been covered in most of the MGW threads:

- Stay patient while working on the front-most 10mm bolt that holds the OEM shift arm to the transmission. Pulling down on the driveshaft will help create just enough room to get it out. It took some time, and some foul language, but you'll get it out. Pro tip: Getting it back in isn't any easier.

- To remove the factory shift linkage, I used a 3/8 ratchet with the 1/2" socket from inside the car and through the hole. Not difficult at all.

- Keep the transmission lowered while you work the shifter body onto the shift linkage and the shifter arm.

- Be sure to get some extra blue loctite. I like the gel kind in the "chap stick tube".

- If the dust boot comes off when you place the body onto the linkage/arm, don't worry. Pull the boot off, and with a bit of dish soap around the bottom of the boot, it will slide on the shifter body even while already mounted. Very easy with the soap. Downright aggravating without it.

- Double check the reverse lockout and the 1-2 shift before using loctite to secure the shifter body to the linkage/arm.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
loop a cargo strap around your driveshaft and hook it back on itself (IE make a big loop) then put one foot in the strap and use your body weight to pull the DS/Trans down. The top bolt will come out/go right in with no fuss.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
definately have the 10mm ratcheting wrench George had in the video, huge time saver

install the shift boot when the shifter is off the car. So you basically install the shifter to set the reverse lockout, then remove the shifter to install the boot, then put install it in the car again. I found it difficult to install the boot when it was in the car.

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Adding to this old thread...

The milwaukee cordless ratchet fits just fine to remove/replace ALL the hardware. Yes, even the long bolt. Just stop before it bottoms on the tunnel. Did have to use a box end to tighten the arms on the MGW. Did not remove the exhaust or the driveshaft.

My preference is to use glass cleaner (spray bottle) for install of the rubber pieces.
Sponsored