Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The Polk is not/has not been installed, it was Photoshopped to kill time while waiting for parts.
Are you intending to drop it in using the stock enclosure and stock amp?

I hope so because if it makes a noticeable difference that would be a super easy inexpensive mod everyone could do.
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Planning to replace the stock sub with a shallow mount Pioneer 8" mount sub and see how it sounds before thinking about adding an amp. Theoretically, a more efficient sub with a larger magnet should provide more "bump" than the OEM subwoofer. How much more remains to be seen...or heard.

Chevpwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 Vert
I changed the factory sub with a Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 8" 2-Ohm 300W shallow mount but the factory amp was not enough for the aftermarket sub.
I scrapped that idea and bought a Fosgate PBR 300x2 amp, two P1S2-8's and a Ground Shaker box. Couldn't go any bigger because of the smaller trunk space in the vert.
After hearing how good it sounds now I'm going to have a custom box made that will fit back in the space under the package tray as to get more of my trunk space back.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
This will be a heavy edit, so please be patient, out in 90+ degrees doing this now.

I measured the SW enclosure using the water method (which I can't recommend due to mess and the inability to fill all the areas).

3.0 US gallons is 0.401 cubic feet

Could I have gotten more in there? Sure. But not that way.
I would say the box is AT LEAST 0.401 cubic feet, but more like "just shy of/right around .450 cubic feet".

Polk says it wants a sealed box volume: 0.35 cu. ft.

So Polyfil may not be needed, but I'm testing it anyway...

I measured the factory subwoofer from all angles, multiple times and it came up as 1.4 or 1.5 ohms each time with the speaker in an upright position. :eyebulge: [This equates to 2 Ohm Voice Coils]

OK, the results.
I purchased 2-12oz bags of loose Polyfil and I only used 1/2 of one bag to fill the entire enclosure. I buttoned it all back up and fired up the stereo, the first thing I noticed was a rediculous amount of bass with my previous settings (+5 bass on Hair Nation XM).
I dropped all the settings to "0" to begin testing. I can't post graphs until tomorrow, but it is SOooo worth the effort!

My recommendation: Go buy a 6oz bag of Polyfil (if you can find it...) and do it now. :D

Going to try the Polk later, but for less than $5 and a few minutes of time, it is well worth it.

:first:

Last edited:

dullishpage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
If anyone doesn't want their speakers from the stock premium or shaker systems after upgrade let me know, i might be interested in replacing my base system with them. Anyone know if its possible to add a center channel speaker when i dont have one now?

Sponsored

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT PP
I see some interesting things after you added the polyfill. At some frequencies the sound is less loud. That could be good or bad. A box that is larger than recommended can degrade sound. Would love to see the test with a little less and a little more polyfill. This would help determine how the fill amount of the polyfill is improving/hurting the sound output from a db perspective. I don't think we can know the quality from the chart.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, 95* and the car is parked in the driveway - Not going to volunteer to do that.
But, the numbers support the fact that I had to back off on my Bass settings and the sound is fuller. That's all I really need.
Going to test the Polk this weekend at the latest...

I'm also going to retest with a QUALITY battery and not the one that shipped with it.

OP
OP
smdandb2

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I got my calibrated mic for my phone (iMM-6) and decided to play around for a minute. It was hot outside, so I did not spend a whole lot of time playing around yet.

This is with the x00A system... Premium w/out subwoofer.

Readings were taken with the mic at ear level from the drivers seat. I left the fade and balance 0/0.

I was playing pink noise via bluetooth on my LGG4 (as I wanted an accurate representation of my source material) at my normal listening volume. My old Nexus4 was used to take the measurements as it seemed to play nicer with the mic.

This is the EQ settings I normally use:

Results:

Flat EQ:

Results:

These settings are as flat as I could get it:

Results:

My thoughts:
Well, I found no discernible difference in readings between drivers seat and all seats mode. I like my audio very crisp, so the falloff in the upper frequencies confirms what my ears already knew.

I can't wait to get my new stuff in!!!

Hertz ML180.3 Tweeters
Hertz ML700.3 Mid Range
Hertz ML1600.2 Mid Bass
JBL MS-8
2x Hertz HDP4 (running each speaker as active so the MS-8 can do timing and speaker level adjustments.

I'm undecided if I want to do a subwoofer or not. I really am hoping the Milles get me to a place where I won't need a sub though.

Sponsored

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I would like to know how deep of a speaker will fit in the enclosure.

ob1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Orville
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sub'd

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping for an update soon.

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess this post died

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I hope not. I want to know how the upgraded sub performed.
Sponsored

Last edited: