Sponsored

Is the extended 5 year warranty worth it?

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
For the MY18 it is £680. Do you think this is worthwhile?
Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
For the MY18 it is £680. Do you think this is worthwhile?
As far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer. Will definitely be getting it when I pick up my 18.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No.

Since members have had numerous issues including, but not limited to, water ingress, exploding clutches and failed sat-navs, I can't see why you'd want to throw another £680 away when Ford won't even help those customers out under their 3-year warranty.

Good luck trying to claim for anything SIX years down the line.

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No.

Since members have had numerous issues including, but not limited to, water ingress, exploding clutches and failed sat-navs, I can't see why you'd want to throw another £680 away when Ford won't even help those customers out under their 3-year warranty.

Good luck trying to claim for anything SIX years down the line.
I can see your point but surely a car with a 5 year warranty will be more appealing to someone in the second hand market if your selling after a couple of years.
I have read all the shitty stories on here about Ford but we are a small percentage of the people who buy a mustang and I know I would go with a used car with an extended warranty over one without with all things equal.

Would it therefore make more sense to ride out the 3 yr ford warranty and get an aftermarket following this?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Exactly. The 5 year warranty is a no brainer. Both for the warranty and for resale value. Ive not had any issues with my stang

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I'd vote no since most of us modify the car almost immediately killing at least some if not all of the warranty anyway.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Guess it depends on the dealership too? Some seem to take on warranty work no questions asked, others not so much.

Straying slightly off topic here with a question...

For anyone that has been in for a warranty issue, was there any form of paperwork given out? I asked each time I went in if there was any paperwork but left empty handed.

Considering Ford had my car for a grand total of 28 days this year, I'd like something for my own records with what actions were taken. Will ask for it, but curious to know if anyone else had something?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone that has been in for a warranty issue, was there any form of paperwork given out? I asked each time I went in if there was any paperwork but left empty handed.
We do over here.

Mine has been in twice for air conditioning issues under warranty (I have no doubt it will be going in for a third time).

We get the standard dealer invoice with a Job Code of "W" and a Description of the issue/outcome.

The best part is the "$0.00" in the Amount column.

Also, the left over 2017 "run out" models over here come with a five year factory warranty and three years of free servicing as a sweetener.

https://cityford.com.au/special-offer/ford-mustang-3-yr-free-servicing-2yr-extended-warranty/

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
Mine had the air con compressor replaced under warranty and I had the same as [MENTION=7882]Drewbo[/MENTION] a very brief explanation and a figure of 0. They should give you something especially with the type of problem youve had in case (hopefully not) you get any recurrence..

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had the air con compressor replaced under warranty
You're one of the very few in that part of the world I've read about with aircon issues, Dale.

They are dropping over here like flies.

My grandparents were from Inverness - hope to visit some day.

:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine had the air con compressor replaced under warranty and I had the same as [MENTION=7882]Drewbo[/MENTION] a very brief explanation and a figure of 0. They should give you something especially with the type of problem youve had in case (hopefully not) you get any recurrence..
Yea, a re occurrence is what I'm worried about. They told me in person & I managed to get a copy of some scruffy handwritten notes, but nothing formal. Shouldn't be to much trouble for them to generate something.

Still a little surprised they changed my oil FOC. I was only expecting a reset or the monitor.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

If in 2-3 years time I decide to buy a used MY18 and there are two identical cars, one with six months warranty remaining and the other with two and half years remaining I would buy the car with the additional warranty, even if it was £500 more expensive.

So if you plan to re-sell in 2-3 years, the extended warranty to most will make your car a more desirable purchase and could command upto an additional 1k premium for it.

Just make sure the additional warranty is attached to the car and not the owner, otherwise it would be pretty pointless unless you are planning on keeping forever for 4-5yr. :)

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
You're one of the very few in that part of the world I've read about with aircon issues, Dale.

They are dropping over here like flies.

My grandparents were from Inverness - hope to visit some day.

:thumbsup:
I suspect its under more strain in Sydney than it is in Scotland, i must have just been unlucky. Not funny when they go though the noise is horrendous.

Were hoping to get over to Australia next year. Youll like Inverness, get a good hire car because some of the roads up there are phenomenal :thumbsup:

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I bought the 5 year extended warranty and then promptly changed so much of the car that I'm expecting them to turn down any claim. That said, my car has been reliable touch wood, so it hasn't been called upon. And then there are things which would still be covered that I haven't mucked about with, such as the often mentioned evaporator core in the aircon. The extended warranty would pay for itself sorting that out. So I'd say go for it even if (in practice) its coverage might end up being more limited than you initially envisage.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I bought the 5 year extended warranty and then promptly changed so much of the car that I'm expecting them to turn down any claim. That said, my car has been reliable touch wood, so it hasn't been called upon. And then there are things which would still be covered that I haven't mucked about with, such as the often mentioned evaporator core in the aircon. The extended warranty would pay for itself sorting that out. So I'd say go for it even if (in practice) its coverage might end up being more limited than you initially envisage.
My car was way more modified than yours, never had any issues with any claims. :)
Sponsored