The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Shame there will not be any stripped out Fiestas like at Silverstone to ad to the excitement. NOT.:lol:
Was speaking to someone about that last night, that was a nightmare. Was going through the track pictures and I counted 49 different reg plates on that track. which is personally, fking obscene. Watched some videos one of the owners got of just the medly of cars out in one go. Be much better now we're having 10 maximum on track at a time. :D!

Are you travelling down on the sunday mate? I'm in the works at the moment of organising a cruise down.

The plan so far is for midlanders to meet at bassetts pole, then we'll head south and meet some sotuherners at Sutton scotney services and then do the final jaunt into goodwood.

Me, @anubis and @Welsh_Treg have got the Travelodge at Arundel fontwell /park booked, there's two, one by a shell (ÂŁ27 a night) and one by the fontwell park (across the road for a bit more a night). Me and Anubis are in the one by the shell, Welshy's in the one by fontwell park, but we're all gonna meet up for dinner the night before.

Planning to cruise probably midday sunday (after lunch). But waiting to see numbers of those 'day before' travellers to see who's joining.

Then I guess most of s can cruise back up together on the Monday by default as well :thumbsup:!

@666mac / @Gibbo205 (if you're coming?) are you guys coming down on the sunday too?
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Are you travelling down on the sunday mate? I'm in the works at the moment of organising a cruise down.

The plan so far is for midlanders to meet at bassetts pole, then we'll head south and meet some sotuherners at Sutton scotney services and then do the final jaunt into goodwood.

Planning to cruise probably midday sunday (after lunch). But waiting to see numbers of those 'day before' travellers to see who's joining.

Then I guess most of s can cruise back up together on the Monday by default as well :thumbsup:!

Cruise down on Sunday sounds like a plan. Stick me down. Sort out some accomodation soon.Thanks for the tips.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Cruise down on Sunday sounds like a plan. Stick me down. Sort out some accomodation soon.Thanks for the tips.
Sounds good to me, should be a blast! I'll setup a whatsapp group I've still got your digits from the last one so hopefully be able to get midlanders together.

Let me know where you book for a hotel and we'll grab dinner as well:)

Sponsored

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Booked Arundel Park,by the Shell ÂŁ37.00 inc Breakfast.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Booked Arundel Park,by the Shell ÂŁ37.00 inc Breakfast.
Nice one, same as me and [MENTION=24982]anubis[/MENTION] then :thumbsup:! Think the ÂŁ37 includes wifi too.

We'll corner off the car park for us stangs in the back away from everything haha.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
i wanna do the sunday but will see closer the time.

Wildblood

'Andrew'
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
TY 'GT' Mustang.........'H1 OON'
I've been to Goodwood Revival and wanted to drive the circuit, am I toooo late to join in with you all?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Badhand

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Fastback Pro Touring 'Hellraiser'
I've been to Goodwood Revival and wanted to drive the circuit, am I toooo late to join in with you all?
A few tickets still left. Get in quick though... :headbang:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
bring the H1OONIGAN :D!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Badhand

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Fastback Pro Touring 'Hellraiser'
BUMP!

Still tickets left!

At the risk of sounding boring, this is going to be a rare occasion to get out and drive your car like it should be driven. If you are a die hard track day fanatic, you'll know this is a great opportunity - a one make event with such a limited anount of cars and a track with such heritage to boot. If you're trackday newb and unsure about what goes on and that's putting you off, here's what to expect:

TRACK DAY TIMETABLE
Times may change slightly on the day, but as a guide, the structure will be as follows:

07:30 – Arrival at the circuit
08:00 – Sign in—signing a waiver and presenting your driving license
08:30 – Safety Briefing—usually lasts around 20 minutes
09:00 – Sighting laps
09:30 – Circuit is open for lapping
12:30 – Chequered flag: lunch break
13:30 – Circuit is open for lapping
17:00 – Chequered flag: end of day

NOISE LIMITS
We have one of the highest noise limits assured for the day. We have a Cat 2 105dB static/ 101dB drive by limit.

During a static noise test a decibel testing device is held at a 45 degree angle half a meter away from the exhaust exit. You will be asked to hold your revs in neutral at Âľ of maximum revs for a few seconds

The drive-by noise limit is often used as a secondary test carried out whilst the vehicles are on track. It’s more than likely to be done on the start/finish straight or at the point of a circuit that is closest or most exposed to the local residents and measured around 10 metres away. The drive-by limit will be less than the static limit so drivers will need to be cautious if they know their vehicle makes a louder noise at certain gear changes, boost levels or RPM.

How can you test your vehicle?

There are several phone apps available on the market that will provide a reasonably accurate decibel reading, or your local garage might be able to provide the service. I have found the Decibel App pretty accurate to Goodwood's sensors. Another belt and braces way if you're really concerned is to pop along to a track day and get it done even if you are not booked on (check first). In most cases if your vehicle has the manufacturer’s standard exhaust with no modifications you will be fine anywhere.

OPEN PITLANE AND SESSIONS
There are two typical formats to track days depending on the organiser and the event. We are expecting SESSIONS for the morning, but this may be reviewed over lunch depending on how noisy our cars are on a whole during the morning's sessions. If the average noise is down and certain cars can be identified and not run together, there is a possibility of OPEN PITLANE for the afternoon.

OPEN PITLANE leaves the pitlane open to all cars so you can go out on the circuit whenever you please and stay out as long as you want.

SESSIONS do exactly what they say: cars and drivers lap around the circuit in separate sessions. Note that the groups can be formed by drivers’ opinion of their speed, so please be honest when explaining your driving level.

Cars and drivers are usually split into three groups with sessions that typically last 20 minutes, so you’ll get one session per hour. This means you’ll be surrounded by cars driving at similar speeds and shouldn’t be overtaking/overtaken constantly.

Both formats have their pros and cons, but most people prefer OPEN PITLANE I do.

COST IS ÂŁ380 BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COST OF OTHER TRACK DAYS?
The cost of track days varies between organisers, but as with most things, you get what you pay for. You can expect to pay between ÂŁ120 to ÂŁ500, with the main difference in price coming from circuit hire costs and how many cars are booked for that track day: the fewer cars, the more expensive your spot will be.

We will have much fewer cars on the track than most track days. AND all the cars will be Mustangs!

CARS TYPES TO EXPECT
Mustangs. Obviously. But there will be everything from classics to boosted S550s here. We may split the sessions into similar age groups.

As you can imagine, speed differences can be huge, but this is a track day, not a race day. Any drivers who are 'racing' or misbehaving are usually dealt with quickly and firmly, so there’s no reason to be concerned.

TRACK DAY RULES AND REGULATIONS - DRIVING SAFETY
It seems that because people drive cars on the road every day, they think driving on a circuit shouldn’t be much different. Put simply, this is absolutely not the case! Even if you feel you are a good driver on the road, please respect the racing circuit.

We are looking to make some instructors available for those who've never been out on track before and even if you’ve been on many track days, I would advise booking one if they are available. A good coach will make you faster, safer, and more consistent, and will keep you from forming any bad habits.

OVERTAKING RULES
With the inevitable mix of talent in variously powered and gripped cars on track, overtaking—and being overtaken—can be difficult. Thankfully, overtaking rules are simple.

Firstly, there must be no overtaking in the more risky areas of braking and cornering. So, you must only overtake on the straights, where there is much less chance of a car spinning or going off the circuit.

The second rule, which is in use with every track day organiser I know, is that you must overtake on a given side. At Goodwood it is the left-hand side. This rule makes sense, as it ensures minimal opportunity for misunderstanding when overtaking occurs.

If you have a faster car behind, make sure that you move your vehicle to one side (the right) gently yet obviously—do not just sit in the middle of the circuit. You should also indicate clearly that you’re moving and if you are overtaking it is curteous to acknowledge the driver you have just passed with a wave or signal of thanks. If you’re in a powerful car that may not be so fast in the corners, you may have to lift on the straight to let the faster (on an overall lap) passed.

When you’re overtaking, make sure you’re fully past the other car before you reach the next braking zone. This is important, as if you’re only alongside or halfway along the car you’re overtaking, they may not have seen you. Then there is the possibility that they might turn across you into the next corner, resulting in unwanted contact.

FLAG RULES
Track days use the same flag or light systems as you see on TV with F1 and you are expected to respect them in the same manner.

Sometimes, it can be hard to spot a circuit flag—especially when you’re so focused on driving—but you must be observant, as flags are the only way officials and marshals can communicate with you whilst on circuit.

The colours of track day flags and their meanings are:

Yellow flag:
There’s danger ahead—maybe a car has spun out or broken down. Slow down, be prepared to drive around a stranded car, and do not overtake until you pass the next marshal’s post or green flag.

Yellow and red striped flag:
There’s debris or fluid on the circuit. Be prepared to avoid debris or to experience a reduction in grip.

Blue flag:
This means another, faster car wants to overtake you. Stay on your racing line or, if on a straight, stay to one side (usually defined by the track day organiser) so the faster car can overtake.

Red flag:
There’s been a serious incident, and the session is being stopped. Reduce speed, do not overtake, and return to the pits at the next opportunity.

Black flag:
Your car has a problem that you may not be able to see, or there is an issue with your driving standards. Slow down, return to the pitlane, and report to a track day official.

Chequered flag:
The end of the session – complete the lap at a reduced speed and return to the pits. You will only see the chequered flag at lunch time and the end of the day on a track day.

INSURANCE
Driving your pride and joy around a circuit will be fantastic fun—however, as I’ve mentioned already, accidents on track can happen.
Track day insurance is a good idea. We will post a list of companies offering this at a later date.

CAN I BRING A PASSENGER?
If you can find someone brave enough to sit next to you on a track day, YES! Prices are per car, so your passengers are FREE. They’ll have to be over 16 years old and wear the same safety equipment as you (helmet and limbs covered). They’ll also need to sign a waiver.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT
It is not necessary to have the complete racing driver’s kit.

But the bare minimum you need is a helmet and to have your whole body covered in clothing—jeans and a jumper will do just fine. If you don’t have a helmet, you can hire one from Goodwood for a few quid.

Racing boots, as girly as they look, will give you as much feel on the pedals as possible, but any thin soled boots will allow this. You can just use shoes or trainers that have a really thin sole—but note, running shoes with a chunky sole will really make things difficult.

Finally, and if you’re willing to make the investment, gloves and overalls. Gloves will help you grip your steering wheel, especially when the adrenaline is flowing and your palms are sweating. From a safety perspective, fire-retardant overalls can be important—you can pick up a good entry-level pair for just over £300. Personally, I make do with Gloves and Helmet and trainers. Make sure it's a good helmet though!

CAR PREPARATION
As well as preparing yourself, it’s very important to prepare your car for a track day. Even though your car doesn’t require an MOT, or even road registration, it’ll require some checks and maintenance if you want it to last the entire day.

WHEELS AND TYRES
Your car’s tyres are the only point of contact with the race circuit; therefore, it is extremely important that you take care of them and prepare them properly.

Ensure that your wheels are balanced. If you have any vibration or feedback when you are driving on the road, it will be much worse on a track.

Make a visual inspection of the tyres. Make sure they have enough tread to last the day (you will be shredding them) and that the tread and sidewalls are in good condition; you should be looking for cracks or tears that may be troublesome once you’re driving quickly.

A Cracked Tyre - Do Not Use!

Before you head out on the track for the first time, check the torque of all the wheel nuts and make sure you continue to do so throughout the day, as they can become loose while lapping.

Finding the correct tyre pressures is important when tracking your car—when you drive around the circuit continuously, your tyres will get warm and their pressure will rise, therefore, you must set your tyre pressures when “hot.” My advice is to do one session to get the tyres warm, and then check carefully to see how the tread is scuffed. If the sidewall is becoming scuffed, increase the pressure as you need to make the tyre stiffer. On the other hand, if only the center of the tread is scuffed—and it doesn’t cover the whole tread—reduce the pressure.

Make sure you check your tyres after each and every session. It is most likely that you will have to reduce tyre pressure after the first session from usual road levels.

At the end of the day, remember to check your tyre pressures again, once they’ve cooled down—it’s likely that you’ll have to increase the pressure once more before you head home. It’s also a good idea to check the wear and condition of the tyres at the end of the day to make sure you’re legal.

BRAKES
Brakes are often the Achilles heel of road cars used on track days. You may think that you brake hard on the road, but this will be nothing compared to the continual heavy braking you’ll do on track. Especially you auto box guys!

The first thing to do is to keep your sessions short—this will reduce the brake temperature that builds up over many laps. I recommend keeping your outings to around 15 minutes or less.

Once you’ve completed your 15 minutes or so of track time, make sure you do one eased-off lap of brake cooling before entering the pits. The idea here is to get airflow over the brakes, without using them heavily, which will allow them to cool more slowly and prevent the discs from warping or cracking.

In between sessions, make sure you do not use the handbrake. The handbrake clamps around the rear discs and if used when the discs are hot, can damage them.

ENGINE
A track day will subject your engine to more stress than your usual dash to work, so it’s important to do a few checks before you head out.

Ensure that the engine oil is in good condition and filled to the maximum mark—your car will be cornering faster than ever before and oil surge is possible if the level is low. If the oil is old, have it flushed and changed. Remember to take some spare oil to the track day itself, so you can top up if necessary.

Before you head out onto the circuit, you must bring your engine up to temperature. Depending on the ambient temperature, simply start your car five to 10 minutes before you want to go out and ensure that the water temperature is over around 50°C.

During the day, keep a very close eye on water and/or oil temperature.

As with cooling the brakes, I advise reducing the engine’s RPMs on your in-lap to give it some opportunity to cool before you finish your session—it’s the same idea of getting as much air through the radiators with as little stress (RPMs) as possible.

GENERAL POINTS
Now that you’ve taken care of the wheels, brakes, and engine, there are just a few more things to think about before you can enjoy your day.

Make sure you remove any loose items inside the car—they will likely become dislodged when driving on track and could possibly get caught under a pedal, which is obviously not what you want.

Check your lights and indicators throughout the day. It’s important that they’re working whilst you’re on track, in case you need to move out of the way for a faster car.

Also, check your mirrors before you head out; it’s poor track day etiquette if you do not see a faster car behind and slow them down for a number of corners.

Be sure you check your fuel at regular intervals—you’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll get through it. There are no fuel stations on site but we will tell you where the closest (cheaper) fuel station is in the morning’s briefing.

TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
It’s advisable to take some tools on your track day, as you don’t want a small problem to stop your running for the day.

Your checklist should include:

spanners
sockets
screwdrivers
torque wrench and wheel nut socket
jack
tank tape
jubilee clips
cable ties
engine oil
funnels (for oil and water)
tyre pressure gauge
foot pump

Phew.

I'll post more info nearer the date, but by all means, ask questions here.....

If you haven't booked yet, come on. Don't miss this one!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: