PeterE

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
Yes, definitely Sync 3 from the screen display, looks the same as mine.
Sponsored

hamenga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Coupe
I logged into my account at owner.ford.com and it said there was a Sync 3 update available. I downloaded it from there.

OP
OP
PeterE

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

I registered on owner.ford.com. added a US address and created an account :)
I the put in my VIN and it was identified, it also told me when the system was last updated 28 June 2016. Car was delivered in September 2016.

I then downloaded the update from 2.0 to 2.3, I opened the autoinstall.lst file and the top line read '; Gen 3 - Consumer Assembly Update - Nav/EU - 17109' So looked good to go :)

So I copied it to a USB stick and installed it the car following the instructions from the ford web site.

20 minutes later the update completed and I've now got version 2.3.

So we can downloads updates from owner.ford.com but it takes a bit more effort.

No sign of version 3.0 there yet

Paul;

robbob144

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've just downloaded this update (2.3 Gen 3 - Consumer Assembly Update - Nav/EU - 17109) from the owner.ford.com site but would like some feedback on how you find it [MENTION=21779]Cypress98[/MENTION] before I install it.

On another note phoned my ford dealer late last week and they were more than useless, said that they don't know how ford wishes to release V3.0 or anything about how the update will have to be completed, they only seemed to believe there were map updates coming sometime in this first quarter?

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

So far I haven't seen any major differences than before the upgrade.

But newer must be better? Right???

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
I've downloaded the upgrade, and am pondering upgrading mine. Had a peer through the files in the zip file, and mine also includes the Nav/EU reference mentioned above. Car is Sync 3 v2.0, so must be eligible.

How long did your upgrade take?

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

It took about 20 minutes or so, I used a 16GB usb 3.0 stick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PeterE

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Update: Haynes have had my car all day, the Sync 3 update keeps failing right at the end so they will contact Ford Technical Support. Fortunately I don’t need the car over the weekend so I’ve agreed that they hang onto it in order to resolve next week.

OP
OP
PeterE

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
So got my car back on Monday, it took Haynes about half-a-dozen attempts to load the new Sync 3 software, it seems that the method used by Dealers is to load the files onto a PC and then into the car via the OBD-II port not like the rest of us via a USB stick or WiFi for patch releases.

Disappointingly I have only moved from v2.2 to v2.3 and not v3.0, however, so far it does seem far more stable than v2.2 with no random switching of dual climate zones, satnav lockup and they have fixed the missing '$' sign on the keyboard so I can connect to my home WiFi without a second SSID just for the car; no new features that I can find...

Whilst I would have liked to have the new connectivity embedded in v3.0, as an ex-IT man I retain a certain aversion to 'vn.0' software releases so if v2.3 - which appears to be a complete new set of files rather than a patch - is stable then I can live without the new stuff (until someone else gets it :D).

Speaking with Spencer the Service Manager at Haynes they dislike doing Sync updates as they seem to fail initially more often than not; I don't know if Sync 2 (based on Microsoft's Windows Embedded Automotive) is any easier to update than Sync 3 (based on BlackBerry's QNX) but with the large number of Ford vehicles being shipped with Sync 3, having an update system that appears to be this unreliable clearly needs fixing.

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I'm booked in with Trustford Epsom for my first year service and to do this at the same time next month.
They have the update to 3.0, but they say it takes them 6 hours to install it, so please would I leave them the car the day before (but at least I can take a courtesy car).
I'll tell you how it goes.

Cobra699

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Upgraded mine to 2.3 at the weekend with no issues took 20 mins. You have to wait a while until the system updating comes up then it disappears again. You just have to wait until it says system update complete. I did it with the engine running. The engine may shut off whilst it's updating but just restart and it fine.

OP
OP
PeterE

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=24176]christianUK[/MENTION]:
I'm booked in with Trustford Epsom for my first year service and to do this at the same time next month.
They have the update to 3.0, but they say it takes them 6 hours to install it, so please would I leave them the car the day before (but at least I can take a courtesy car).
I'll tell you how it goes.
I think the 6 hours is to allow for multiple attempts :doh: - as [MENTION=20571]Cobra699[/MENTION] says it should only take 20 mins or so.

I will be very interested to see if you do get 3.0 and not 2.3 as I was told that the UK 3.0 is not available yet.
Sponsored