Sponsored

Hellraiser build thread

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Fastback Pro Touring 'Hellraiser'
Not technically 6G, more of a 1G meets 6G build - but thought some of you might be interested in it as it is definitely a Mustang.

Bit of background on me and the name. Yonks ago I built an '05 Mustang street/track car that ended up being known as Hell Yeah. I hit hard times and had to sell it on, but always said as soon as things got better, I'd be back bigger and better with something even more special.

So things got better and I started thinking about a project. Having always loved the classic 'Stangs, but wanting something that handled as well as the S197 I'd lost and even as good as the S550 which was just coming out, I came up with the idea of building something along the lines of the Agent 47 Harbinger, Ken Block's Hoonigan or Vaughn Gittins RTR-X. A '69 pro-tourer basically. Classic body but modern motor and suspension.

Some of you may know I run a UK Mustang forum :) for all model year Mustangs so I decided it would be fun to combine as many generations as possible into one as a Forum Project car. Realistically though, (and should I say this openly?) there's not much from 1970 to 2005 I'd want on it! I considered the classic Mustang2 front end upgrade, but then thought stuff it, we can make something better than that!

I'd always had a thing for coupes and decided, as they are always cheaper than the Fastbacks, I'd start looking around for a good half-finished '69 coupe project for as few dollars as possible. I started scribbling on napkins to get a feel for the project and to get some inspiration in the time it was taking to find something suitable.

Then I started getting carried away and commissioned a 3D render from some talented bloke off the interweb. It's all visual styling at this point, with some basic ideas of where I was heading... 4" ride height, big 18x 10/12 wheels and bolt on arches to accommodate the extra track and lowered stance. Oh and a big ol' wing!

At least, that was the plan. And then I bought this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

So that's a '69 Mach 1 Drag race project from Texas, which is the first spanner in the works - it's not a coupe - but was such a bargain I couldn't turn it down. And is where the name comes from. This was found in a field and left for dead for years. It was finally resurrected by some dude named Duane and I thought as we're bringing it back from the dead and it's Hell Yeah's successor, Hellraiser sounded cool. A project has to have a name right?

Then there's the second spanner, a Ford Racing Coyote crate engine, ECU, ancileries and T56 gearbox and Mrs. Badhand.

I'll keep going if any of you 6G lot are interested...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Keep this updated (mind you, I can just stalk you out on MFUK to view it too!)

But yes, speaking on behalf of every 6g owner here, keep it updated!!!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Awesome. Keep it coming :thumbsup:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
100% Definitely keep us posted. Love that render - it's beautiful! Is there a better match than the original styling and the modern innards? I think not! Look forward to watching it progress :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Badhand

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I'll post the next renders of the fastback and fill you in on next stages later...

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've read through it on that other mustang forum I frequent but it's good to have 2 options to catch up on what's happening.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Damn right.....
Keep us updated please:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I'm in, so excited to see another ground up build just like the old days!!

Please post as many in progress pics as poss..

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Cough cough cough you bought ;)

OP
OP
Badhand

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the second spanner in the works was when Mrs.Badhand discovered I'd spunked ten grand on a new motor without asking her. To say she was p!ssed is an understatement and I had to do some lengthy diplomatic work, well grovelling really, to get the 'Me or the car' sentence reduced to 'Sell the bloody engine and get the money back'. Which whilst not ideal, meant I could keep both car and wife.

So it's at this point that cati comes to the rescue and offers to cover the cost of the engine and get on board with the build. Result! Not only has he saved my bacon, but he's a good mate and long term trackday buddy. I'm stoked. It'll be great having someone I know to share the pain and frustration through this project and also to share the driving to Spa and NĂĽrburgring when its finished!!!

Anyway... on with the build. Or not. As the hulk has stayed in my garage all winter while we gather parts and try to figure out what the hell to do with the chassis. As it stands, the original body shell sits on a part Art Morrison, part unidentified chassis. The front clip looks like it has Mustang 2 set up and the back is all mahoosive Hoosier and Strange axle undrivability.

So whilst this is a pain in the arse, it gives us the chance to start from scratch and build something awesome. The whole back can come out and we'll have plenty of stuff to ebay to the drag race fraternity. The front we'll modify and yes, that's a 429 Thunderjet motor which someone is bound to want too. That's connected to a C6 transmission and should generate some much needed cash to feed the Hellraiser fund.

OP
OP
Badhand

Badhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops sorry cati. Just remembered you started a build thread here before...

:doh:

But I've got all the pics.

:)
Sponsored