The GT Spare Wheel /Tyre Solution- "The Gnome Spare"

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Disclaimer- The following information is solely for educational purposes alone. The original thread and or persons or any other included in this thread accept no responsibility for warranty, legal, persons and public or property damage. It is the sole discretion of the reader including all liability hereon.

This thread has been started as a reference for 2015> Australian GT Mustang owners looking for a solution with regards to the spare tyre. Due to the fitment of the large Brembo brakes including the staggered wheels, Ford has only supplied the air compressor and a sealant canister as the solution for a flat tyre.

For many that live outside of the metro areas, for peace of mind or the sheer convenience of being able to change a flat tyre instead of calling a breakdown assistance number, the “Gnome spare” is the perfect solution.

This thread is a condensed version of the original thread found with the following link-

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41050

All credit is to a forum member known as “Gnome”, thus the name given “The Gnome Spare”. Gnome / John researched on behalf of many here and through his hard work finally came up with a solution which each of us can enjoy.

I will not go into all the technical pro’s and cons which has already been discussed at length in the original thread. This thread is simply to inform others of the steps required to having a “Gnome spare” for your very own Mustang.

Below are some quotes from Gnome / John in the original thread. Following after is a step by step guide on what is needed and how to fit the complete kit ready for usage-

Quote “Gnome”-
OK here is where I am up to on my search.

Simmons do a 19 x 7.0 ET + 20 that they think will fit over the Brembos, I am organising a test fit with them. There is a 175/60 R19 tyre available from JAX tyres that should fit this rim.

Diameter of the tyre is 693mm compared to 703mm on the standard rear tyre, this equates to 740 revs per mile compared to 730 revs per mile on the standard one.
I have asked my dealer to fire off an email internally to Ford to get confirmation from them on what speed and distance limitations they would place on using wheels with this sort of diameter difference.

Quote “Gnome”-
Yes the plan is that it will work on the front and the rear. Ideally I was after a 6.0 or 6.5 rim, but the 7.0 may also just fit the depth

(Edit- Gnome is saying that the spare wheel can be used on both the front of the car and also the rear of the car independently)

Quote “Gnome”-
I also had an answer back from the service manager at my dealership today regarding the effect on the LSD by having two different sized rear tyres. The reply was as below.

Quote:
I spoke with my Ford Service Engineer (FSE) last week about this and the simple answer is Ford don’t have a position on this as no testing has been carried out on the rim your proposing to use.

His best suggestion was 10.5 +/- revolutions per mile should have little to no impact. Especially considering it is only a “in case of emergency” arrangement.

What you are proposing should be fine.

The steps involved to the spare wheel / tyre solution-
“The Gnome Spare”

IMG_2371.JPG

Call “Tempe Tyre and wheel centre” who are based in Tempe / Sydney on the following number- 02 8577 8577 or Email-[email protected]

You need to ask for the 2015> Mustang spare wheel and tyre, they have this information on record. Also make sure to ask for the wheel nuts which are included in the package as the spare wheel cannot use the original Mustang wheel nuts.
Expect to pay approx $550 delivered dependant on your state and address. Tempe Tyres use their own courier and deliver to your door Australia wide.

IMG_2381.JPG

The next step is to purchase from a car wrecker a “Falcon FG” jack kit. Make sure you not only get the jack but also the foam base and all other components. Expect to pay somewhere from $50 > $100

IMG_2411.JPG

The next step is to purchase a couple of wheel nut sockets and a socket extension brace / bar from a tool supply store or auto store. The sockets required are 21mm for the original Mustang wheel nuts and a 19mm socket for the Tempe tyre supplied wheel nuts.

450-00080l.jpg

The last step is to purchase from either a “Bunnings” or any other leading hardware store is a small nylon tie down strap. This strap will secure the spare wheel in the wheel well; in the event of a roll over the spare tyre unsecured can be fatal.

52051_450.jpg

Firstly remove the original compressor / sealant canister kit from the spare wheel well in your Mustang. The complete spare wheel well needs to be empty.

Place the complete Falcon FG jack kit / foam base in the wheel well making sure to fit the towing / recovery bolt from the original Mustang compressor kit into the FG Falcon foam jack kit base.

Place the Tempe wheel nuts including the 21mm & 19mm socket in the wheel well. You can use a small cloth pouch to hold the sockets and nuts and to stop them rattling around. Place the socket extension wheel nut brace also in position.

Place the spare wheel in the wheel well, at this point you may need to trim some of the Falcon FG jack foam base to ensure that the spare wheel fits snug and does not protrude higher than needed.

IMG_2413.JPG

Pass the nylon tie down strap underneath the original bracket which secured the compressor kit, then up and over the spare wheel spoke, tighten the strap until firm.

IMG_2972.JPG

The Gnome spare sits a little higher in the wheel well making the rear spare wheel cover sit approx 10mm proud from the floor surface when closed. The easiest solution is either a rubber or carpet trunk mat which smooths out the imperfections creating an even look.

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2401[1].JPG

Some people have commented that maybe even carrying a small block of wood or plywood assists in raising the rim / wheel in the event that the tyre is completely flat. Some have reported of the problem of the jack not fitting underneath the body of the vehicle when the tyre is dead flat. The small section of wood allows the car to raise approx 20mm when driven on thus allowing the jack to fit underneath the body of the vehicle.

Now enjoy in the knowledge knowing that you are covered in case of a flat tyre, no need for breakdown assistance or even new tyre pressure sensors that have been destroyed by the tyre sealant. “Thanks Gnome, thank you”

jack_points[1].png

Sponsored

Last edited:

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Awesome Summary, thanks mate!
And big thanks to John / Gnome!

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2003 WRX, 2013 Forester XT
[MENTION=25951]PG68[/MENTION] Excellent job mate now it needs to be put somewhere prominent for easy access.

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Well done mate [MENTION=25951]PG68[/MENTION] !!!

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Also get a tool bag to fit the compressor, wheel brace and wheel nuts and any other bits and pieces to keep in the boot as you can't fit too much under the wheel.

Sponsored

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Well done [MENTION=25951]PG68[/MENTION] I can only guess how long it took to put all that together it is scattered over many posts. Now I can cross "compile all this in one place one day", off my to-do list. :cheers:

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
Great work Paul. Recent members will really benefit from your summary. We have all benefited from Gnome's original work - so thanks again John!

FPV GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY GT
Purchased my Gnome Spare today.

A dozen cheers for [MENTION=19128]Gnome[/MENTION]:cheers::clap2::hail:

And a great write up [MENTION=25951]PG68[/MENTION]

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Well done @PG68 I can only guess how long it took to put all that together it is scattered over many posts. Now I can cross "compile all this in one place one day", off my to-do list. :cheers:
No problem at all John, happy to do it mate. Your great efforts needed to be put down in a format for future readers looking for a spare solution.

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
@PG68 Excellent job mate now it needs to be put somewhere prominent for easy access.
I have no idea how it can be put somewhere other than the normal post list Zee. Maybe someone else knows?

Sponsored

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
No problem at all John, happy to do it mate. Your great efforts needed to be put down in a format for future readers looking for a spare solution.
.Well done Paul
I have the Gnome spare. Just have to pick up the FG Jack Kit. Luckily my daily driver is FG XR6 Turbo so can swap between cars

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Can't this thread be made into a sticky so it doesn't get lost

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
Nice work, I was waiting to order a spare, so this answers all my questions.
Just out of curiosity, are there any storage locations on the side of the boot to store any toolbags or similar such as [MENTION=22406]mwizz[/MENTION] suggested?

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Nice work, I was waiting to order a spare, so this answers all my questions.
Just out of curiosity, are there any storage locations on the side of the boot to store any toolbags or similar such as [MENTION=22406]mwizz[/MENTION] suggested?
Unfortunately not, I wish there was.
Sponsored