Digital Speedo

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
Was sent the below Youtube video. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and has tried it.
[ame]
Sponsored

mix 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Mustang Auto

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Surely this could be dealt with by way of a software tweak (GT350 pictured).
Check the as built guide thread in the diy section. They haven't figured the digital speedo out yet, but there's some cool programming being done in there. I'm keeping an eye out for that one

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We shouldn't have to do this every time, it's a feature that has been on most cars for 8+ years
Lots of great Ford Features have gotten missed on the Mustang, Stepping from a 2015 XLT Ranger to the Mustang is like going backwards in time.

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
My father is an electronic engineer and hobbyist programmer. A couple of years ago he bought a motorcycle and wanted a digital speedo on it. He crafted a small box with an LCD screen, PCB etc and tapped into the feed that goes to the stock instrument cluster.

If there is no real solution to this problem by the time mine arrives a year or whenever, then I might look at working with him to make this happen.

Won't be as nice as a built-in one, but it would be nice to see what custom options could be explored.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I just use my Garmin Nuvi or Hema navigator depending if im in town or travelling remote,
(found the GPS mapping in the car doesnt find roadhouses along the road.)

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
My father is an electronic engineer and hobbyist programmer. A couple of years ago he bought a motorcycle and wanted a digital speedo on it. He crafted a small box with an LCD screen, PCB etc and tapped into the feed that goes to the stock instrument cluster.

If there is no real solution to this problem by the time mine arrives a year or whenever, then I might look at working with him to make this happen.

Won't be as nice as a built-in one, but it would be nice to see what custom options could be explored.
Some aftermarket HUD systems plug into the OBD2 port and can display the speed in a similar way, I remember there was some talk of it a while ago

Sponsored

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Apart from just doing your recal. a N-Gauge will display speed.

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
It's not that they couldn't put it in, it's just how they designed it - they wanted to put analog gauges on purpose. Watch the design video of the 2015 mustang and you'll see that the key point in the design was to:

1) Keep some of the traditional mustang authentic features
2) Have big analog gauges, inspired by aircraft

I appreciate these decisions and happy that we didn't get digital speedo.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
I agree.
Plus I'd like cable or vacuum operated air control too!

Last edited:

Mustang76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black GT
It's not that they couldn't put it in, it's just how they designed it - they wanted to put analog gauges on purpose. Watch the design video of the 2015 mustang and you'll see that the key point in the design was to:

1) Keep some of the traditional mustang authentic features
2) Have big analog gauges, inspired by aircraft

I have to agree, yes most cars have digital speedo's but this is not most cars, this is a mustang, we all talk about having a "drivers car", an "iconic car" that will be spoken about long into the future when Ford released right hand drive. I love the look of the slightly retro interior and the "ground speed" and i think it is a salute to the heritage of this car.

Anyway i wasn't planning on sticking to the speed limit and when i see the boys in blue i will be too busy testing the Brembo's that i wont have time to look at the speedo.

Last edited:

dave-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT, '16 SS Ute, Turbo 86
Check the as built guide thread in the diy section. They haven't figured the digital speedo out yet, but there's some cool programming being done in there. I'm keeping an eye out for that one
That FORScan software is pretty easy to use. Got it going with my ODBLink MX but so far only turned off the annoying honk when you get out of a running car. Wouldn't be surprised if this is what people like Mustang Motorsport are using to enable the line lock feature?

Some aftermarket HUD systems plug into the OBD2 port and can display the speed in a similar way, I remember there was some talk of it a while ago
Yeah I run a Scangauge II in my 86 to get digital oil and water temp for the track but its not an elegant solution. There are a lot of parameters you can monitor via ODB too so would be good if you could display more on the factory screen.

And talk about the car not having a digital speedo because of heritage is retarded. It has a digital screen already, not like we're talking about replacing the entire dash? The lack of basic tech in the Mustang is pretty poor. Stuff like heads up display and lane detection warnings are simple features yet brilliant that wouldn't detract from the car in any shape or form.
Sponsored