Sponsored

Exhaust Mods...what did you fit and why ?

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
I went with the 'cat-back' Ford Racing by Borla Touring chrome Tip exhaust system with the 'x' pipe.
As it was an all stainless system replacing a mild steel, therefore should last.
It had Ford Stamped all over it and fitted, unlike a lot of aftermarket systems which don't.
Noise was better than the OE one, but not excessively so.
The later Ford Racing systems are now supplied with the X box replaced by a resonator, but I bought mine before this happened.
Hope this helps.
I went with same thing on my 2016 GT. Here in the US/California we still get the version with X-pipe replacing stock resonator. Plenty of good sound, way better than OEM but quiet under light throttle.
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I went with the 'cat-back' Ford Racing by Borla Touring chrome Tip exhaust system with the 'x' pipe.
As it was an all stainless system replacing a mild steel, therefore should last.
It had Ford Stamped all over it and fitted, unlike a lot of aftermarket systems which don't.
Noise was better than the OE one, but not excessively so.
The later Ford Racing systems are now supplied with the X box replaced by a resonator, but I bought mine before this happened.
Hope this helps.
When you say the "later Ford systems" is that the ones available through Ford accessories? This one;

https://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/...xhaust-system/2216649?model=mustang&year=2015

My current fave is the one you mention above - the touring, but that doesn't seem to be available via Ford UK. They have the sport, but i'm not sure of the difference between that and the "Ford Racing by Borla Sport". Is it just the resonator being the difference? I think I would prefer that over an x-pipe anyway personally.

Not that I'm keen to buy through Ford or anything! Just want to understand the difference :)

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
When you say the "later Ford systems" is that the ones available through Ford accessories? This one;

https://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/...xhaust-system/2216649?model=mustang&year=2015

My current fave is the one you mention above - the touring, but that doesn't seem to be available via Ford UK. They have the sport, but i'm not sure of the difference between that and the "Ford Racing by Borla Sport". Is it just the resonator being the difference? I think I would prefer that over an x-pipe anyway personally.

Not that I'm keen to buy through Ford or anything! Just want to understand the difference :)
Here's Bill's comparison......

[ame]

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I have the Borla Touring and the Kooks headers. In combination It's a lovely burble. Everyone notices it but it's not too loud. No drone inside and when you give it the beans it shouts for attention. If you're over my way (South East) you're more than welcome to hear it for yourself.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

I’ve just fitted the Borla Touring catback after running a Magnflow Street for a year. That’s the Borla by Borla, not the Ford by Borla one! Yes, the Borla one has a resonator which keeps the cabin noise down, afaik the Ford by Borla still has an X-pipe. Good sound, good fit, less intrusive than the MagnaFlow for my purposes.
Should be at the Fairmile, Cobham tomorrow if you want to hear it. [MENTION=20841]blueboy[/MENTION] has one (hearing his swung it for me) too, if you need to hear the cabin sound on a coupe.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’ve just fitted the Borla Touring catback after running a Magnflow Street for a year. That’s the Borla by Borla, not the Ford by Borla one! Yes, the Borla one has a resonator which keeps the cabin noise down, afaik the Ford by Borla still has an X-pipe. Good sound, good fit, less intrusive than the MagnaFlow for my purposes.
Should be at the Fairmile, Cobham tomorrow if you want to hear it. [MENTION=20841]blueboy[/MENTION] has one (hearing his swung it for me) too, if you need to hear the cabin sound on a coupe.
Thanks Ben, my initial plan to wash the car seems silly in this weather so I may well come down! Can't remember the last time I went to a meet, it's been months :(

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve just fitted the Borla Touring catback
I've also been running the Borla Touring CB for around a year (although must Borla M6G owners over here opt for the S-Type).

It's perfect for my needs (I live in an apartment complex with underground parking - so can't really be pissing off the neighbours - not had one complaint thus far).

Sounds really good going through the gears without being offensive. Deep rumble with a nice burble on deceleration and absolutely no drone. Can't really hear much at all when cruising, but give it some beans and you'll know it's there.

Highly recommended.

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
I went for Roush Axle Backs.

I was on the lookout for a nice deep exhaust that wasn't too raspy. I'm not a fan of the 'marbles in a tin can' sound you get with some of the exhaust systems.

My shortlist was between Roush and Magnaflow Competition. I prefer the 4.5" straight cut tips on the Magnaflow and the fact that the tips are welded vs clamped on the Roush, but while the deep rumble of the Magnaflow sounds great, I thought it lacked the 'muscle car vibe' you get from the Roush.

The Roush Axle Backs provide a more audible idle and a lovely sound under acceleration, but they're quite subtle under normal cruising. This is perfect for anyone using their car as a daily who doesn't want that motorway drone, but I'm already contemplating going for a H-pipe too. Maybe I'll wait until I've heard that setup for real before making my decision.

Here's my sound clip video to add to the 1000s already on YouTube!
[ame]

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
haha should have said you were going for a fuck about i'd have come down :)

RobT350C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible White
We'd love to hear how you like it once everything's installed! :thumbsup:
Just getting to this now. Had my magnaflow street fitted last week and what can I say apart from big smiles all round! Great, substantial build quality, great to fit (even on my convertible) and the tailpipes fit perfectly in the rear valance both positioned equally.

The noise is perfect for me, quiet if you want to be discreet and hilarious if you want to make some noise. And the noise, big deep burbling note that I was after, that amplifies into a full-on v8 howl higher up the rev range. Personally I wouldn't want any louder. Resonance period seems to be around 60mph in 6th but this is gone by 70mph so not a problem.

Loving it!

Thanks to Mick at Mustang Custom Services (Micks Auto Shop) in Leyland who was great fitting it.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Borla S Axlebacks, wanted the Black tips, and not many do that, also loved the sound and heard that the metal used is the best, and 2 years on looks as good as new, and not washed much.
Am adding a X Pipe this Friday
Want it more growling on tick-over, as just love to play with the Remote Start at the shows

scares the bjesus out of some people

:D

OP
OP
Snap On Pete

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
Borla S Axlebacks, wanted the Black tips, and not many do that, also loved the sound and heard that the metal used is the best, and 2 years on looks as good as new, and not washed much.
Am adding a X Pipe this Friday
Want it more growling on tick-over, as just love to play with the Remote Start at the shows

scares the bjesus out of some people

:D
Should of fitted the cat backs in the first place Loz..:D
I got the black tips..and would of saved you the addition of the x pipe now..:doh:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Should of fitted the cat backs in the first place Loz..:D
I got the black tips..and would of saved you the addition of the x pipe now..:doh:
you live and learn Pete :D
think it does not work out much difference in the end

will send you a PM, in answer to your question asked on the MOCOGB forum

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Just getting to this now. Had my magnaflow street fitted last week and what can I say apart from big smiles all round! Great, substantial build quality, great to fit (even on my convertible) and the tailpipes fit perfectly in the rear valance both positioned equally.

The noise is perfect for me, quiet if you want to be discreet and hilarious if you want to make some noise. And the noise, big deep burbling note that I was after, that amplifies into a full-on v8 howl higher up the rev range. Personally I wouldn't want any louder. Resonance period seems to be around 60mph in 6th but this is gone by 70mph so not a problem.

Loving it!

Thanks to Mick at Mustang Custom Services (Micks Auto Shop) in Leyland who was great fitting it.
We're glad to hear that you're totally satisfied with it! Thank you again for choosing Magnaflow!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I think im ready to upgrade my exhaust. Ideally i want the car to sound like a Mercedes C63 AMG when under load and/or a burble like you get from a Dodge Ram pickup truck when just pottering around. I don’t need it to be too loud and definitely don’t want it to sound like Ali G’s Nova! Any suggestions?
Sponsored