Sponsored

Winter Rubber

new23d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Fastback V8 Manual, Race Red
Want Nokian, told Michelin

Since I found out the Pirreli's installed by factory had questionable warranty below ambient temperatures of 7° C [1] and prone to compound cracking, I have been pestering my dealer (TrustFord Edgware, [email protected]) and Ford Customer Service directly ([email protected]) for an answer to what tyres could be used since nothing in the market matched a Z speed rating for the size/load needed.

I have now received an email with this document (attached), that lists Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 for a Mustang GT 5.0 . Not surpised to discover that the last saved time embedded within this Word document corresponds with [MENTION=21779]Cypress98[/MENTION]'s post earlier [2] on what Ford CC said could be used. (Had to re-save as a .doc file though, forum wouldn't allow to attach a .docx as was originally sent.)

This document does seem to offer a few other services by Stapleton's Tyres, who do not happen to have Nokian listed under their product range [3]. I have reverted to Ford CC with a question specifically on Nokian WR A4 that are available in "255/40R19 100 V XL" for front, and "275/40R19 105 V XL" for rear. After all, the Michelin's in the document for front were V rated, as had also been pointed out in the post by [MENTION=20116]downthepub[/MENTION] [4].

Let's see where this goes.

See sections "4. UHP Summer Tires" and "What Is Not Coverered by the Limited Warranty?" in [1].

[1] https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/PI0717.pdf
[2] https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2080924&postcount=70
[3] http://www.stapletons-tyres.co.uk/wholesale-products.asp
[4] https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2080977&postcount=71
Sponsored

Attachments

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Anyone else having problems with their winter tyres? I've been loving the usual grip from my Vredestein winter tyres, but because my daily commute is on B roads and a few country lanes, I've noticed that if the tyres pick up any mud, the car's then like Bambi on ice for at least the rest of my 20 mile journey. I can't work out why but assume it must be the tread pattern rather than the compound of the tyres. Even at low speeds ie. pulling away in first and second the back end's squirming around, and it's catching me out at times when I'm not expecting it, when the road isn't muddy.

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this and if I'm expecting too much and "they all do that madam".

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Anyone else having problems with their winter tyres? I've been loving the usual grip from my Vredestein winter tyres, but because my daily commute is on B roads and a few country lanes, I've noticed that if the tyres pick up any mud, the car's then like Bambi on ice for at least the rest of my 20 mile journey. I can't work out why but assume it must be the tread pattern rather than the compound of the tyres. Even at low speeds ie. pulling away in first and second the back end's squirming around, and it's catching me out at times when I'm not expecting it, when the road isn't muddy.

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this and if I'm expecting too much and "they all do that madam".
I have read that winter tyres not only use a different compound but work on enhancing grip on icy roads using the gecko foot grip concept. Therefore it makes sense that when the pores get filled with mud, the grip is reduced. Don’t quote me on this though.

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue

Winter !! Winters over isnt it...?? 10 degrees in Colchester today...and out for a blast in a minute.....:doh:

Sounds like you should be in a Cherokee Jeep too Vikkic ..

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Winter !! Winters over isnt it...?? 10 degrees in Colchester today...and out for a blast in a minute.....:doh:

Sounds like you should be in a Cherokee Jeep too Vikkic ..
went to my sisters in nottingham last night left hers at 22:30 and car said 14 degrees thats almost summer weather!

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If the treads or 'pores' become ineffective when filled with mud, surely the same applies once the fill with slush?

I still have mixed feelings on my nokians. They appeared to perform well in the snow last week when looking at how other cars were doing on the hills where I live, but I'm pretty sure it had as much to do with (if not more to do with) people approach to driving in snow. One unnerving feature of the tyres, which only seemed to happen at one particular stretch of road was how the front wheels liked to veer to the left JUST before coming to a complete stop when slowing down in traffic. Could have been different if I'd been travelling at more than a couple of mph!

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
My Michelin alpins are epic.
It’s precisely because the channels capture snow that they work. Snow sticks to snow better than rubber

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual

I had some Vredestein winter tyres many years ago but have never experienced your problem with my Nokians or any other tyre summer or winter. Do your tyres have a directional tread & if so are they fitted correct way round & at correct pressure? Tractor tyres can get the cleats full of mud in reverse .

Tim

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe

Think I had something similar last week with my Pzeros. Driving up a hill near me (accelerating gently in a longer line of cars, so definately not booting it) with quite a bit of mud on the road and the back end started fishtailing. Guess is the treads got full of mud, or perhaps I touched a thicker patch of mud by the side of the road, and the grip just went.

So the lesson for me is, regardless of your tyres, watch out for mud on the roads!

Sponsored

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Do your tyres have a directional tread & if so are they fitted correct way round & at correct pressure? Tractor tyres can get the cleats full of mud in reverse .

Tim
I can't see a directional arrow on the sidewall so assume they're not, and I trust the tyre dealer to put them on correctly as they're local and I know them so assume that's not the issue.

Think I had something similar last week with my Pzeros.

So the lesson for me is, regardless of your tyres, watch out for mud on the roads!
I would have expected it with the PZeros, but was surprised that it's so bad with the winter tyres, and I'm loving the grip with them otherwise which is why it takes me a bit by surprise when they do let go!

Yep I too am now looking out for mud on the road, but no worse than having to look out for potholes I suppose :mad:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Even at low speeds ie. pulling away in first and second the back end's squirming around, and it's catching me out at times when I'm not expecting it, when the road isn't muddy.
I know I'm using summer tyres so expect it to squirm in this weather (albeit rarely take it out until weather improves), it does make me wonder what the traction control is doing sometimes - don't really notice difference between Sport + and Normal in terms of traction control.

GOM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red Ecoboost coupe
I can't see a directional arrow on the sidewall so assume they're not, and I trust the tyre dealer to put them on correctly as they're local and I know them so assume that's not the issue.

Just checked my Vredestein WINTRAC XTREME S tyres in the dark and cold; small arrow, "ROTATION" just above rim protector, close to the first G of Giugiaro.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
My Nokians came off today.

The wear rate is mental.

10k Kms.

Front still 7mm+

Rears still 6mm+

I haven't been hanging around either. My Pzeros were finished in the same distance on the back.

I'm really speechless as to how little they have worn. Mega impressed.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
My Nokians came off today.

The wear rate is mental.

10k Kms.

Front still 7mm+

Rears still 6mm+

I haven't been hanging around either. My Pzeros were finished in the same distance on the back.

I'm really speechless as to how little they have worn. Mega impressed.
Why have you taken the Nokians off, is winter over with you? Its forecast to snow in two days with me.
Sponsored