Sponsored

2018 Order - Options Set in Stone?

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
I changed my 2015-2017 order when details of the new MY 2018 Mustang began to emerge (mostly on Mustang 6g). With the inclusion of bonnet vents, magnetic adaptive suspension, bi-modal exhaust and the new duel-fuel engine, its the car it should have been in the first place.
I have a good relationship with the dealer and paid a $500 deposit back in May 2017. Just before Christmas last year, I was contacted by the Dealership to confirm my extensive options list. However, I was away over the entire Christmas\New Year period. Working on remote sites, I do not always have Mobile phone network coverage, and I missed this important call.
The sales staff did their best guess, and submitted my order, so I was in the first allocation. I am grateful for to them for doing this.
Race Red, 6 speed manual (I did specify the 3.73 Torsen), Magneride, Recaro Seats.
When I got home in the New Year, I went down to see them to review the order. Wanted to touch base and see if there had been any official new developments from the factory. I learned that they did not option the Performance spoiler (which I am also pleased about - don't like it at all). But they had also left the Forged Alloy Wheels off the list.
I did want black rims, but I was thinking they would release new wheels to go with the new model. I cannot believe the new car gets the 'old' rims. I thought I could just paint the new forged ones black? I asked them to amend my order, to include the forged wheels, simple I thought.
I was informed that the order could not be changed.
I argued that they just had to bolt on the different wheels at the factory, surely not that difficult?
No, the stock manager had been asked, and it was not possible.
FFS.
I was informed that if i wanted the forged rims, I would have to cancel my current order (again), and order a whole new version. Thus missing out on the first allocation and an earlier delivery.
This is more than likely what I will have to do, bugger it!
I will contact some others I know at the dealership, I case I am able to pull off a coup, as I do have a good relationship, as previously mentioned, including having my other DD serviced like clockwork in the workshops. I will also get the Mustang done by the dealership (if they can get me the wheels).
Others may say, just keep the originals for track days and import the forged units, or some such. But I really don't like them, on top of the added cost (I realize that they will be an on-cost in any case, but the freight charges etc, I won't have to pay. Also, who knows what availability there is going to be? When will they be available as a Ford Performance Part?
I really like to PP2 rims as well. Don't have to paint them either. But again, if they are a PP2 exclusive, then when will they be available? (if ever).
Thats what pushed me to the Forged units in the first place, as I didn't think you could get the PP2 rims any time soon.
Just wanted some feedback from the Forum, If anyone else had had this response?
This is quite a specific case, and only relates to a change of wheel. I'm not changing anything else.
Thanks All.
Al_5oh
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Understand that it is frustrating

Why not opt for aftermarket wheels that are lighter than the forged ones from Ford? I believe e.g the 6GR wheels are offered in AU, not sure of the pricing there though.

The standard wheels offered by Ford are heavy, specially if you are going to track the car.

The P51s I have on order are some(total) 30-40lbs lighter than the original 19" PP1 wheels.

19" P51 wheels are 9.5kg/each crazy for the price

I changed my 2015-2017 order when details of the new MY 2018 Mustang began to emerge (mostly on Mustang 6g). With the inclusion of bonnet vents, magnetic adaptive suspension, bi-modal exhaust and the new duel-fuel engine, its the car it should have been in the first place.
I have a good relationship with the dealer and paid a $500 deposit back in May 2017. Just before Christmas last year, I was contacted by the Dealership to confirm my extensive options list. However, I was away over the entire Christmas\New Year period. Working on remote sites, I do not always have Mobile phone network coverage, and I missed this important call.
The sales staff did their best guess, and submitted my order, so I was in the first allocation. I am grateful for to them for doing this.
Race Red, 6 speed manual (I did specify the 3.73 Torsen), Magneride, Recaro Seats.
When I got home in the New Year, I went down to see them to review the order. Wanted to touch base and see if there had been any official new developments from the factory. I learned that they did not option the Performance spoiler (which I am also pleased about - don't like it at all). But they had also left the Forged Alloy Wheels off the list.
I did want black rims, but I was thinking they would release new wheels to go with the new model. I cannot believe the new car gets the 'old' rims. I thought I could just paint the new forged ones black? I asked them to amend my order, to include the forged wheels, simple I thought.
I argued that they just had to bolt on the different wheels at the factory, surely not that difficult?
FFS.
I was informed that if i wanted the forged rims, I would have to cancel my current order (again), and order a whole new version. Thus missing out on the first allocation and an earlier delivery.
I will contact some others I know at the dealership, I case I am able to pull off a coup, as I do have a good relationship, as previously mentioned, including having my other DD serviced like clockwork in the workshops. I will also get the Mustang done by the dealership (if they can get me the wheels).
Others may say, just keep the originals for track days and import the forged units, or some such. But I really don't like them, on top of the added cost (I realize that they will be an on-cost in any case, but the freight charges etc, I won't have to pay. Also, who knows what availability there is going to be? When will they be available as a Ford Performance Part?
I really like to PP2 rims as well. Don't have to paint them either. But again, if they are a PP2 exclusive, then when will they be available? (if ever).
Thats what pushed me to the Forged units in the first place, as I didn't think you could get the PP2 rims any time soon.
This is quite a specific case, and only relates to a change of wheel. I'm not changing anything else.
Thanks All.
Al_5oh

V8KOOP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Competition Orange manual
I’m not surprised at anything Ford does to its Customers. I ordered Competition Orange in Jan 16 only to be told in April, “sorry, we’ve now cancelled that colour, pick a different one”! “But no, I placed my order, I have a contract, I paid you a deposit!” “Not my decision mate, pick another colour, I’ll just put you down for white unless you decide otherwise”! WTF??

So I am not surprised they don’t care about your wheels.

OP
OP

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
Thanks for your replies Folks.
Hey Mazman, I appreciate the heads-up, but its strictly Factory Original for me Sir.
Sorry 'bout the Comp Orange KOOP, Awesome color!
Yeah, just really disappointed with it. A shame they have runs on the board as you have said.
Wheels should just bolt-on right?
Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted.

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
One option I had put to me was to swap the standard wheels for the forged alloys on any stock car or order that was unwanted.
If I can't get the Ford forged wheels I'll just go aftermarket.

Sponsored

V8KOOP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Competition Orange manual
Good luck with it. I ended up getting a CO through another avenue and a lot of luck and great pleasure ringing the bloke that said “I’ll just put white” and cancelling my order and getting my deposit back as they weren’t keeping their side of the contract.

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
FFS.
Thanks All.
Al_5oh
Unless things have changed a hell of a lot for this new model I wouldn't get your heart set on the 3.73 torsen. Standard on export GT's are 3.55 conventional LSD and I cant imagine they would make that optional no matter how nicely you ask.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Unless things have changed a hell of a lot for this new model I wouldn't get your heart set on the 3.73 torsen. Standard on export GT's are 3.55 conventional LSD and I cant imagine they would make that optional no matter how nicely you ask.
I think he's dreaming, regarding that 3.73 torsen diff. About as likely as drag mode. I guess that's an option in the states for 1/4 mile die hards.

Anchor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
There's nothing we can do about changing the first batch, no matter how many friends you have at the dealership. Sounds like your guy at least tried to call you before this cut-off period and got it 90% right!! But unfortunately they're locked. Murica don't care about a 5c piece in a bath tub and won't let us ammend orders after build date lock downs.

If it was me, i'd look into something from the Ford Racing catalogue for wheels.. Or maybe a brand Ford uses on some of it's factory sponsored race cars? That way it's still "ford approved" in your head.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I think he's dreaming, regarding that 3.73 torsen diff. About as likely as drag mode. I guess that's an option in the states for 1/4 mile die hards.
Drag mode if we dont get it can most likely be unlocked like line lock can be, they disable it in software so you can enable it in software

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We have Drift mode in the Focus RS so surely Drag mode in the Mustang should be ok!

Line Lock makes a bit more sense to have it locked imo.

PS. Hi, first post :)
Sponsored