Sponsored

Hypertech Tuner?

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I haven't found any mentions of this tuning device doing a quick forum search;

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/Perfor...el_Gasoline_AND_Parts_Upgrade_Together___.pdf

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/vehicle-results.aspx?AAIAID=482249

Seems to also have a tune for a full bolt on config. with CAI / Full Turbo Back / FMIC.

Regarding BOLT-ON gains, in general, according to their dynos they only seem to net a peak of +4hp / +10 tq., however the under the curve gains are about +20 hp / +20 tq. which is still not that much more over the tune-only gains?

Performance Parts Tested in their dyno;

HYPERTECH: Max Energy 2.0 93+MAX Engine Tuning - PN: 2000
AIRAID: Cold Air Dam (CAD) Air Intake - PN: 450-330
MISHIMOTO: Performance Intercooler Kit - PN: MMINT-MUS4-15K
MISHIMOTO: Downpipe with High Flow Cat - PN: MMDP-MUS4-15CAT
MAGNAFLOW: Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust - PN: 19191

UPDATE: 4/16/18

I went ahead and purchased the tuner to give it a try and below are my impressions;

1. The tuner accommodates all of my current performance needs such as ones discussed in the below posts.
2. The tunes retain factory-like engine refinement, which to me is a big deal as our 2.3 is a coarse engine.
3. The tuner is one of the best values in the "sea" of Mustang tuners.
4. The company has excellent customer support.

Regarding the power gains, that is difficult for me to address, because this is a very subjective matter. I'm personally after factory-like smoothness and longevity of the drivetrain in my Mustang while being able to use a high-flow downpipe in support of less turbo / engine killing back-pressure. Something else to keep in mind are the automatic trans. tuning strategies between the various offerings. I have a Manual, so those I can't comment on.

I started out with an Unleashed 93-octane tune with only 500 miles on the clock and used it for 5000 miles until I personally no longer felt safe for the engine with it hitting 22 psi in fourth gear. But damn, was the car quick at those pressure levels! I then purchased the Livernois tuner and have been using it with their 91/93-octane tune with mixed results. My particular engine / mod. configuration did not seem to like their 93-octane tune as the OAR kept on dropping from the ideal -1 ratio down to as low as -0.6 at times, and I could hear what I believe was pinging at peak engine loads. With Livernois not having access to my car on their dyno, they couldn't do much to help sort this issue out, so I felt that I should be moving on to something else. Power-wise, Livernois tune does make plenty of it while still maintaining factory boost levels, however they extend the powerband further to about 6000rpm, at least with a high-flow downpipe. With the Hypertech 93+ tune loaded, the power seems to equal that of Livernois' until about 5000rpm at which point Livernois takes over. Both companies have specific reasoning and collected data behind their tuning strategies, so it's just a matter of personal preference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you order one of these as well

387503?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

Pardon me as I put on my fireproof suit.

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I hear you, but this isn't any different than say COBB nor SCT X4 with their manufacturer programmed tunes, except one can't use the Hypertech device for custom tuning as far as I know. Hypertech has been around for 20+ years, btw.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Hyper Tech Tuning ?

I hear you, but this isn't any different than say COBB nor SCT X4 with their manufacturer programmed tunes, except one can't use the Hypertech device for custom tuning as far as I know. Hypertech has been around for 20+ years, btw.
So what is hub bub all about and what do you need to know and what more are you willing to express about Hyper Tech and the tuner they offer ???????

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

We've actually been around for 32 years, since 1986. I'm the Creative Director there and have our tune on my 16 GT...and I love it. I unfortunately can't answer any of your technical questions, I'd rather leave that to our technical support department. BUT if you have any, you can email our tech support at [email protected]. One of the features in the Max Energy 2.0 is THROTTLE RESPONSE, mine is set to our TRACK option and it really is a night and day difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
My curiosity is getting the best of me, again, and I'm itching to try out a different tuner for a few reasons. One of the reasons is because my current tuner, as well as the factory tune, maintains a stoich. AFR even under significant boost in the lower rpm range under part throttle. I'm sure that there's a reason for this strategy as I'm no where near as enlightened as the engineers working on the tunes are, but I've had the opportunity to use a tune with a more boost friendly AFR strategy where the ratio is fattened up to around 12.5, based on pressure, as soon there was positive pressure in the intake manifold. This made the engine feel less strained and torque'r under part throttle conditions. I would prefer this kind of part throttle fueling strategy. I understand that tuning strategies can be "proprietary", but would your tech guys be able to comment on this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I sent your questions to our Tuning Manager. He just told me he is working on his response. He did mention our tune tackles exactly what you were asking. So hopefully today I will get that answer for ya and post it up here.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is straight from our tuning manager:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]During the development of our tuning, we noticed exactly what you've described. Sometimes the engine gets into boost, but the factory tune keeps the fueling near stoich. This makes the engine feel and sound labored, and less responsive than expected. We noticed this specifically when squirting around in traffic and on back roads during spirited driving. What we found was that the Power Enrichment (PE) would not engage until almost wide open throttle (actually, pedal). By engaging the PE at lighter throttles we really woke up the responsiveness of the engine, and eliminated the sluggishness of the engine during these driving conditions. The trick here was ensuring that our tunes don't negatively affect emissions or fuel economy, so we tailored the PE mode by RPMs. We know this because our EcoBoost Mustang tune passed CARB testing, and is legal for sale in California (EO D-260-23).[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Just to shed a little light on our development process, our final tuning was developed over the course of 2 months on our AWD dyno where we made almost 450 dyno pulls. From there the car was fine tuned on the street, and finally the power gains were measured on our RWD DynoJet dyno. This was done with the car in stock form, and with typical bolt-on parts. Overall we made 316 different custom tunes during this process to finally get the tuning we put into the Max Energy 2.0 Power Programmer. This involved dialing in every option we offer in the ME2.0, from engine tuning, transmission tuning, and tons of other great options that really let you dial in the drivability of these cars.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The development process for our tuning really sets our "canned" tune apart from those offered by our competitors. Our popular competitors who were mentioned above sell custom tuning software. That allows them to double dip if you will. First, you pay for the device, and then you pay for the "custom tune". If their canned tune was as good as our tune then there wouldn't be any room for a custom tune to shine. Plus, our tuning is combined with options that let you dial in EXACTLY how you want your car to drive. You can select whichever octane tuning you'd like to run, and then focus the drivability towards ECONOMY or towards an all out TRACK tune or anywhere between by selecting the other options we have to adjust. When you're finished you can even save those settings as a custom PRESET tune that you can access quickly. This would let you swap between an "87ECON" tune during the week to save some gas and a "91TRACK" tune on the weekend for some fun without having to select all the options every time you want to make a change.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]In the end, we developed 6 different engine tunes which allow us to offer a solution for any possible EcoBoost Mustang customer. The 87MAX, 89MAX, 91MAX, and 93+MAX tunes all incorporate the adjustments mentioned above. The 87ECON, and 89ECON tunes do not. These ECON tunes are optimized at factory boost levels, and focus more at providing gains in fuel economy. The 87ECON tune provides +14HP/+2Ft-Lbs peak-to-peak, and +27HP/+15Ft-Lbs under the curve. The MAX tunes are designed to provide the maximum power at each octane level, and to provide the best improvements in power and drivability. That's why the 93+MAX tune results in much higher gains at +50HP/+58Ft-Lbs peak-to-peak, and +67HP/+72Ft-Lbs under the curve. These gains were measured on a stock car. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The power gets even higher with bolt-ons. You can check out our dyno results here if you're interested...[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]http://www.hypertech-inc.com/PerformanceGraphs/Ford/2015_2017_Mustang_2_3L_GTDI_I4_6Fuel_Gasoline_AND_Parts_Upgrade_Together___.pdf[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Forgot to ask about Active Grille Shutters control. Does Hypertech disable them open or maintain factory controls? I've opted to have mine disabled open with my current tuner, and that really helps with not just coolant temp control but also with the oil temps, however during these cold months the coolant temps can dip down into the high 160s after a hard pull and I'm not sure If that's a problem for the tuning strategy.

Last edited:

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]From our Tuning Manager...

The purpose of the shutters is to improve aerodynamics, and warmup times. They do have plenty of control to open up to mitigate temperatures, and worked acceptably well at maintaining performance. We didn't even disable them on the dyno during our development as it didn't seem to matter. On the road with much higher airflow we saw no need to disable the shutters. Because of this we do not offer the ability to disable the shutters. That's probably a negative for those people who like to feature shop, but our focus is on providing the best performance product we can. This may mean that we do not cater to the assumed knowledge of the masses. I don't think you'll be disappointed. We do offer the ability to adjust the Fan On/Off temperatures, so a 195F setting should accomplish what you're looking for with the grill shutter option.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
This is straight from our tuning manager:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]During the development of our tuning, we noticed exactly what you've described. Sometimes the engine gets into boost, but the factory tune keeps the fueling near stoich. This makes the engine feel and sound labored, and less responsive than expected. We noticed this specifically when squirting around in traffic and on back roads during spirited driving. What we found was that the Power Enrichment (PE) would not engage until almost wide open throttle (actually, pedal). By engaging the PE at lighter throttles we really woke up the responsiveness of the engine, and eliminated the sluggishness of the engine during these driving conditions. The trick here was ensuring that our tunes don't negatively affect emissions or fuel economy, so we tailored the PE mode by RPMs. We know this because our EcoBoost Mustang tune passed CARB testing, and is legal for sale in California (EO D-260-23).[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Just to shed a little light on our development process, our final tuning was developed over the course of 2 months on our AWD dyno where we made almost 450 dyno pulls. From there the car was fine tuned on the street, and finally the power gains were measured on our RWD DynoJet dyno. This was done with the car in stock form, and with typical bolt-on parts. Overall we made 316 different custom tunes during this process to finally get the tuning we put into the Max Energy 2.0 Power Programmer. This involved dialing in every option we offer in the ME2.0, from engine tuning, transmission tuning, and tons of other great options that really let you dial in the drivability of these cars.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The development process for our tuning really sets our "canned" tune apart from those offered by our competitors. Our popular competitors who were mentioned above sell custom tuning software. That allows them to double dip if you will. First, you pay for the device, and then you pay for the "custom tune". If their canned tune was as good as our tune then there wouldn't be any room for a custom tune to shine. Plus, our tuning is combined with options that let you dial in EXACTLY how you want your car to drive. You can select whichever octane tuning you'd like to run, and then focus the drivability towards ECONOMY or towards an all out TRACK tune or anywhere between by selecting the other options we have to adjust. When you're finished you can even save those settings as a custom PRESET tune that you can access quickly. This would let you swap between an "87ECON" tune during the week to save some gas and a "91TRACK" tune on the weekend for some fun without having to select all the options every time you want to make a change.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]In the end, we developed 6 different engine tunes which allow us to offer a solution for any possible EcoBoost Mustang customer. The 87MAX, 89MAX, 91MAX, and 93+MAX tunes all incorporate the adjustments mentioned above. The 87ECON, and 89ECON tunes do not. These ECON tunes are optimized at factory boost levels, and focus more at providing gains in fuel economy. The 87ECON tune provides +14HP/+2Ft-Lbs peak-to-peak, and +27HP/+15Ft-Lbs under the curve. The MAX tunes are designed to provide the maximum power at each octane level, and to provide the best improvements in power and drivability. That's why the 93+MAX tune results in much higher gains at +50HP/+58Ft-Lbs peak-to-peak, and +67HP/+72Ft-Lbs under the curve. These gains were measured on a stock car. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The power gets even higher with bolt-ons. You can check out our dyno results here if you're interested...[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][URL]http://www.hypertech-inc.com/PerformanceGraphs/Ford/2015_2017_Mustang_2_3L_GTDI_I4_6Fuel_Gasoline_AND_Parts_Upgrade_Together___.pdf[/FONT][/URL][/FONT]
Does the Hypertech tune have different settings for the bolt-on's vs. non bolt-on's or does the tuning just compensate for the changes in airflow? Is there any additional power available for higher than 93 octane fuels? The 93+ seems to suggest that there is...

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does the Hypertech tune have different settings for the bolt-on's vs. non bolt-on's or does the tuning just compensate for the changes in airflow? Is there any additional power available for higher than 93 octane fuels? The 93+ seems to suggest that there is...
From Hypertech's Tuning Manager

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]To quickly answer your questions, the tuning compensates for more efficient airflow gained by typical bolt-ons (intercooler, piping, air intake, and exhaust). And yes, there's additional power available for higher octane fuels (i.e. 100oct).[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Now for a detailed response...[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The tuning model used by the Ford software controlling these engines is all based on an accurate torque model. The power output of the engine is all accurately modeled in the software, and this output is determined by the position of your foot. The "easy" way to tune a boosted engine would be to crank up the wastegate controls and move the torque limiters out of the way. The right way to tune these engines is to increase the calibrated capacities of the boost control systems and the torque model. This is a very laborious approach to tuning these engines, but we figured if the system works for Ford we should use it too! In fact, we proved the functionality of this solution when we tuned Mazda's version of the 2.3L GDI turbo back in 2008. Although that software was much less complicated, it was still based on the same principals. In the end, what this allows us to do is to develop an expanded torque model that has "room to grow" for modifications that most people will make to these cars. It also allows us to keep the torque limiters in place to prevent power runaway that could damage the engine, turbo, catalytic converter, etc. The engine control software is very capable if you have the time to develop it. This is why our tunes took over 2 months to develop![/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]As for additional power with better octane, that gets into the knock control system. The knock control system has the capacity to reduce POWER if knock is detected, but it can also increase POWER if it determines that the fuel octane permits. The knock control system does alter spark timing to control power, but it can also act upon the torque model and thus the output power. By adjusting the operating parameters of the knock system we can do some really cool stuff. In essence we setup each tune for the base fuel you select, and allow room to grow based on your octane selection. If you select the 93+MAX tune it targets the torque output we found 93octane can support, but it allows room for more if you are using 100 octane race gas. It also allows the knock control system more control to reduce power in case you forget and put in 87 octane fuel without changing the tune. Although we don't recommend this practice we did account for it and did test it on our own vehicle with mods just to ensure the worst case scenario won't be a catastrophic failure.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]These are processes that we have tested and developed across numerous tuning platforms and OEMs. In most cases there's absolutely a way to manipulate the existing engine software to provide powerful and safe tunes that are far beyond the assumed knowledge of tuning discussed by the general public. It usually takes a lot of time and testing, but that's what you pay us for, and we hope you like the tunes as much as we did developing them. Believe me, you won't be disappointed with these tunes![/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Speaking of that, I would like to take a second to explain a couple of the really cool options we offer with the ME2.0 that I think you all will love. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]First off, there's the option to adjust the Throttle Response to several different levels. This one is fairly self explained in the name, but you can adjust Normal and Sport modes independently which is pretty cool. The tuning isn't a simple % change like an in-line solution. We tailored each curve to be what we wanted for THIS car.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Second, you can also adjust the Shift Firmness for the automatics which is self explained in the name too. Again, you can adjust Normal and Sport modes independently. The TRACK setting is no joke, and will bark the tires. The firmness isn't simply more line pressure. The shifts are quicker and firmer. These tunes really make a world of difference. For a daily driver I'd probably select the STREET settings, but that's just me.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Third, you can adjust the Shift Response. This one is really cool, and totally changes the drivability of the car for you automatic guys. Shift Response is how the transmission reacts to your pedal input. Stock, the car just seems to take forever to downshift as you press the pedal down, and then when it does it jumps two gears and all hell breaks loose. Choosing something like SPORT on this will make the transmission downshift sooner and less abruptly. This really makes driving the car a lot more enjoyable and responsive. You could also take the opposite approach and choose the MILEAGE setting which makes the transmission hold the gears a little longer before a downshift. Depending on what you want, the choice is in there![/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Finally, there's TCC Slip tuning. This one is also for the automatic trans cars, and I'm hesitant to mention it because if you haven't ever noticed what I'm about to discuss you'll probably hate me for ever mentioning it. What we noticed was that the transmission logic is continually commanding a small amount of converter clutch slip. This would be like riding the clutch all the time in a manual trans car. We found that eliminating this altogether really wasn't good though because the engine noise and a lot of vibrations became obvious as the reasoning for using the "slip" method. We did come up with a couple of options that we think balance the difference. By selecting TRACK it almost eliminates the slipping TCC. This is a bit harsh sometimes, but if you're looking for maximum power at all times or maximum MPG this is your choice. We think the STREET option is better all around because it eliminates the weird slipping part throttle shifts and RPM hunting without introducing vibration and noise.[/FONT][/FONT]

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
So, if I buy the PN 2000 unit, will it already have the Ford 2.3L specific tunes pre-loaded, especially the full bolt-on coverage ones including a high-flow catted downpipe, to choose from during the flashing process?

Thanks!

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Our standard tunes are ready for the mods you have, so the PN 2000 will work like a champ.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Do note that if your high-flow catted downpipe sets O2 sensor codes with a stock tune it will do the same with our tunes. Because we are emissions legal, we cannot disable those codes with our tuning.[/FONT][/FONT]

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Understood.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Our standard tunes are ready for the mods you have, so the PN 2000 will work like a champ.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Do note that if your high-flow catted downpipe sets O2 sensor codes with a stock tune it will do the same with our tunes. Because we are emissions legal, we cannot disable those codes with our tuning.[/FONT][/FONT]
Sponsored