Sponsored

Ecoboost Manual Clutch Choices

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
Anyone with an Ecoboost Manual replaced their clutch from the stock dual mass to a single or dual disc clutch?

If so, what clutch did you choose and how is it holding up?
Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Your options are limited at best.

I went with a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and Mcloed Ceramic disc. I truly hated it and went back to stock 6 months later. The flywheel was so light it didn't dampen the vibrations from the engine and that cause the input shaft to chatter at idle. The disc bit so hard and the reduced weight of the flywheel caused me to stall the car at stop light all the time.

The original plan was to install a Mcloed twin disc RST. Once I got the transmission on the floor, I discovered the flywheel didn't fit. Mcloed was not exactly responsive to my needs and in frustration I sent it back to them.

Worst of all, the stock clutch is really remarkably adequate for the power output of the Ecoboost.

Go On 3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 1996 GT, 2014 BMW 335i
Your options are limited at best.

I went with a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and Mcloed Ceramic disc. I truly hated it and went back to stock 6 months later. The flywheel was so light it didn't dampen the vibrations from the engine and that cause the input shaft to chatter at idle. The disc bit so hard and the reduced weight of the flywheel caused me to stall the car at stop light all the time.

The original plan was to install a Mcloed twin disc RST. Once I got the transmission on the floor, I discovered the flywheel didn't fit. Mcloed was not exactly responsive to my needs and in frustration I sent it back to them.

Worst of all, the stock clutch is really remarkably adequate for the power output of the Ecoboost.
That's an unfortunate lesson that I've learned as well. In theory, many people think it's a plus to get more clutch than they need. In reality, it makes daily driving hell.
I don't mind light flywheels though. The added performance and fun is worth the annoyances to me, but I certainly would see why a lot of people would disagree once they had to live with one on a daily.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Spec sells clutch kits and flywheels for the ecoboost, I have been very happy with the one in my gt. fwiw

Sponsored

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Are we able to switch to a lightened flywheel and keep the stock clutch?

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Grabber Blue 6MT PP
Also curious as to this.
Sponsored