Just swapped to BG Syncro Shift

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Wanted to post a short review for those considering, I just swapped differential and manual transmission fluids with the kit at optimum performance (BG Synchro Shift II for the trans and UltraGuard LS for the differential). First a shout out to [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION], the kit is competitively priced, very well packaged, comes with everything you will need and the instructions are awesome. They obviously put in the time and thought to put this together, would definitely buy from them again.

Now on to my reasons and experience with this swap. Have always maintained my own cars, changed my own oil and handled all light repairs (those that do not require specialized experience or tools, or many hours to complete). Overall after putting the rear wheels on ramps, front on jack-stands, the total swap took maybe two hours, but repeating would take less as I was taking my time (first time doing any transmission fluid changes). First, make sure that the area is well ventilated, this stuff does put out a strong odor, and take the time to ensure the right fill levels are achieved. The differential was very straight forward, transmission was slightly more tricky as the fill bolt has very little clearance and there is no practical way to measure how much fluid is in the car. The cup method to measure the remaining liquid worked well except that you have no way of measuring it until after filling (measuring what is left over). I ended up pumping the last bit of fluid from the measuring cup directly, taking care not to spill the cup.

Speaking for my experience, the car (after 43k miles) was starting to feel slightly notchy in shifting, and I missed a few shifts during an aggressive acceleration lately. The shifting action is definitely more smooth after the swap, not butter smooth, but there was a significant improvement. I have also noticed more vibration through the pedals in the months pre-swap, and this improved a slight bit but not majorly. My regular mechanic is planning to put it on a lift and look for vibrations in the bushings, but overall it is not too bad (nothing like my 27k mile vibration when the drive line was replaced) and the new fluids made it slightly better.

Overall for those that are thinking of replacing trans and differential fluids, this kit from Optimum was well put together and there was a noticeable, though not dramatic, improvement in the shifter feel in my car. Achieves my stamp of approval.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Overall for those that are thinking of replacing trans and differential fluids, this kit from Optimum was well put together and there was a noticeable, though not dramatic, improvement in the shifter feel in my car.
Just wait til the temps drop outside, you'll really notice the difference. Also, if you're still feeling notchiness in the shifts, check the supply line from the master cylinder to the clutch master cylinder. If it's started to pull away from the reservoir, you might be pulling some air/moisture into the system. Between the MGW, BG, and Steeda supply line fix mine's now shifting like butter at 30k miles.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Just wait til the temps drop outside, you'll really notice the difference. Also, if you're still feeling notchiness in the shifts, check the supply line from the master cylinder to the clutch master cylinder. If it's started to pull away from the reservoir, you might be pulling some air/moisture into the system. Between the MGW, BG, and Steeda supply line fix mine's now shifting like butter at 30k miles.
I did check the supply line a few weeks ago, it was pulled out as described in the thread. I pulled it back and put a zip tie around it, seems to be holding it in place. Have not thought about a shifter replacement yet, too many other things to spend money on outside of the car, but may in the future. How difficult was the Steeda supply line to install?

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did the zip tie, too. Never moved again after that. I was still getting unpredictability on humid days, so I went ahead and replaced it. World of difference. It’s not hard at all, as long as your wife has small hands and is willing to get them dirty. :D The firewall side can be difficult to get to otherwise.
Sponsored