svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
I recently got my hands on the new Steeda shifter for the 2018. I just made the switch from the Barton. These review can be very subjective but before all the hate comes in, hear me out...

The Barton is a fantastic shifter and works very well. The throws are very precise and short with their 25% throw reduction. It gives you multiple options to trans mount or body mount the shifter for a great price. There is some room for improvements, as with all things. I ended up body mounting it after I tried the trans mount option, as I did not care for the added NVH. When doing this, it does add a lot more side to side movement in gear. I thing this is due to all the O- rings that the Barton has. I do understand that these are in place to cut down on unwanted NVH. I just wanted something a little more firm.

So I received the new Steeda Triax. I don't really care for the reuse of some of the OEM shifter parts but I know that it does allow for some reduced cost and it all seems to work very well when put together properly. Steeda does not use the same O-ring philosophy that Barton uses but overall the NVH between the two is marginally different. The Steeda does increase the initial start up noise when turning on the car. This is due to the way its made. It is kind of a cool sound and I don't mind it.

The shifts are more precise in the Steeda compared to the Barton when body mounted. I did use the stiffer shifter springs that they include. I feel like this is a must do for this shifter. I can not tell you if i can feel the extra 5% throw reduction in the Steeda but I can tell you that the side to side movement is vastly reduced while in gear.

All said and done, I think that I do like the Steeda just a tad better when body mounted. The throws are crazy short and very bolt action rifle like.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]TnCAfa4mP_I[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
I'm looking at aftermarket shifters now. Have you used the MGW? If so, how does it compare to the Barton and Steeda? I'm leaning towards the MGW X-spec low profile now.