Sponsored

DSS Aluminum Vibs

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
QA1 CF driveshaft. No vibration on my car. Lowered, solid diff bushings...
Are you still on the stock MT 82 with the power numbers in your sig ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I just got my RMA from DSS, will send the shaft out within the next few days. As to what I do once I get it back or a replacement back, IDK. I plan on staying N/A for a while if not forever and am not a drag racer so don't need the strength. I may just post it for sale once its back and "good".

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
If you have FI and launch with sticky tires, be careful with the stock driveshaft. The pics below show what I discovered with mine.
Can't you just dump the clutch in reverse?:cool:

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Shaft sent in...now its a waiting game.

Side Note: seems to me there is a market for a stock style (2 piece) shaft which is "forgiving" like the stock unit in terms of vibration/angles/NVH, but made of tougher materials, stronger U/CV joints and a beefier carrier bearing.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you have FI and launch with sticky tires, be careful with the stock driveshaft. The pics below show what I discovered with mine.
Did you experience any vibes from that?

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Did you experience any vibes from that?
I did not notice anything unusual, which is what I thought was especially scary. I had purchased a DSS shaft that I had found used, went to install it and was shocked to find everything mangled when removing the OEM shaft.

BE6Pony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 15 V6 / Focus ST / 14 Fiesta S
I too ordered from a "very reputable sponsor" here, but they are holding firm that they need a professional shop to determine that its the shaft that is faulty. Until then they are holding firm on this portion of their return policy:

"We will not accept a return of an item that is damaged or defective if it has been used/installed please inspect all orders as soon as you receive them and contact HERE within 72 hours."

I am also talking to DSS direct, but looking like they are leaning towards blaming my Steeda poly diff bushings :doh:. Now Steeda sells DSS shafts, should I see what they have to say...seems like it couldn't hurt.

Car is back to smooth as glass with the stock shaft, but iv got what's looking more and more like a $760 aluminum turd laying on my garage floor.

"We will not accept a return of an item that is damaged or defective if it has been used/installed please inspect all orders as soon as you receive them and contact HERE within 72 hours."

So wait they want you to get a driveshaft that is supposed to work when its sold....inspect it without putting it on which would mean In 72 hrs of receiving the product you should pay a speed shop to test the item to see if you can get your money back on a product that should have came right in the first place are they saying their products aren't tested and proven before selling implying the borrower should buy then go get it tested at their own expense... I would dispute the charge and bash them on here until they came up with a resolution and make sure I let everyone know of their faulty products.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
could be worse,you could be this chic
skip to 5:30......I think the companies has not mastered the S550
yet.......I was gung hoe for a shaft,now im not touching one..
Id rather have a 3" chrome moly one piece shaft than AL or CF
[ame]

Sponsored

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
Wow that’s crazy I haven’t seen that before. CF shaft demolished in shreds.

steelersfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
15 CO Mustang GT
That's very crazy and scary! Definitely puts me on pause for purchasing an aftermarket drive shaft. Yikes!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Finally drove my car after installing a DSS 4' Aluminum DS last week, it vibes and makes a terrible noise, basically undrivable.

Will have to go back to the stock shaft unless there is a fix or something different to try.

My first CF was shipped with a bad CV joint -- had some vibrations around 60mph. The first one they replaced it with was for some other application -- I think the guy in the shop might have been smoking something. On the third try, I finally got a good one that worked. The CV joint is a maintenance item -- I may go with something else when it needs to come out for service -- so I'll always have a spare. I may go with whatever Kelly (aka BMR_Tech) is running in Project Stockonaut. That looks like a nice unit -- but who knows. It seems like some aftermarket parts might not be worth the trouble...

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
could be worse,you could be this chic
skip to 5:30......I think the companies has not mastered the S550
yet.......I was gung hoe for a shaft,now im not touching one..
Id rather have a 3" chrome moly one piece shaft than AL or CF

This is my thought on this -- I bet her driveshaft was rated for 900hp, while they might have been underrating the power she's making: The twin setup she has is configurable for up to 1200hp - unless there are quality control issues at The Driveshaft Shop (very possible), I would expect something like that might be going on. I'm not sure what kind of longevity to expect from a CF shaft -- everything leading up to the purchase of mine had me thinking it would last forever... They aren't supposed to fatigue even with regular use right up to their rated strength.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
This is my thought on this -- I bet her driveshaft was rated for 900hp, while they might have been underrating the power she's making: The twin setup she has is configurable for up to 1200hp - unless there are quality control issues at The Driveshaft Shop (very possible), I would expect something like that might be going on. I'm not sure what kind of longevity to expect from a CF shaft -- everything leading up to the purchase of mine had me thinking it would last forever... They aren't supposed to fatigue even with regular use right up to their rated strength.
She also launched hard as hell too... I have the DSS CF on my Auto and haven’t had any issues....
Sponsored