Not open for further replies.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I got started on the project this weekend, and here are some things I ran across that I wished I had known beforehand:

1. GET PROPER TOOLS! Trying to strip tiny wires in cramped spaces is not for fatasses or the faint of heart. Buy a stripper and crimper made for these terminals. There are several obvious reasons why, but some are not so obvious until you're too far into it. For example, the area where the wire is crimped to the fittings on the APIM connector needs to be flattened as a proper crimping tool would do. Why? Because when you try to put the APIM connector cover back on the sliding terminal blocks, there is a tab inside that cover that runs the length of the side channel (see the illustration in the OP) in the block. This channel is aligned where the wire is crimped on the connector. If the crimps are not flat, the tab will catch on them and the cover won't slide on. Or, in my case, it will slide on with a lot of pressure - so much so that there's no way I'll get it back apart without prying and probably destroying the whole thing. Luckily, I tested it with the Sync 3 module, and it all seems to work.

2. The panels and clips are TIGHT. Don't let the videos fool you. It felt like I was breaking everything I was pulling on, and the front dash panel containing the air vents and gauges (if you have them) would have broken had I continued pulling on it from the end as the videos show. Use plastic trim tools and pry near the clips (watch the videos again for clip locations) as you pull. I had a heater warming up the inside of the car all day, and it was still a bitch.

3. When you pull the top panel off to get to the GPSM, be prepared to lose the two outermost clips. They will break or fall into the dash cavity. Order more clips before you start. Don't skip this step. Also, once this is out, release the metal tab holding the GPSM mount from underneath with a screwdriver or trim tool. I didn't realize it wasn't another pry-out tab, and broke mine while prying the GPSM from the metal mount. It would have been so much easier to simply remove the whole GPSM from the dash and pry it loose from the metal mount that way. And by the way, my new GPS won't stick to the glue remaining on the mount. Maybe it's because it's cold, but it's not tacky any more.

4. Rather than try to strip and solder to the GPSM MS-CAN wires, I thought I would simply pull them from the connector and solder to the terminal, and tape off. It would have been much easier to do that than to try to get a good connection in the cramped space. Well, I destroyed the GPSM connector in the process. Not that it matters to me, because I don't ever plan on going back stock, but cutting tape and splicing into wires is not the best solution for someone that might want to reverse this upgrade one day.

I didn't change my ACM, so I can't speak to any difficult that might be encountered there, but adding any more wires to my APIM connector might have put me over the edge. Plus, I haven't finished the back portion of the installation (USB hub and new USB cables), so there may be more cursing to follow.

Bottom line: In my experience, this upgrade would be significantly easier if I had built an adapter harness first instead of trying to swap and add terminals to the APIM and trying to splice into MS-CAN and video wires. You'd need a new male/female APIM connector, a female GPSM connector, a female 4.2" video screen connector and again, the proper tools to put it all together. [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION], if you could list the connector part numbers and link to a stripping/crimping tool, that would be great. Or just buy one from him if he has them available. Worth every penny in my opinion.

It would have been somewhat easier if I had had the proper tools doing it the way suggested in the OP, but still there is the problem of physically cutting existing wiring. There's no way I could go back to stock without significant time and expense, so if that's important to you, keep that in mind.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Have question..

I put the GPS antenna on the metal bracket, but was unable to use the oem glue, pulled off with the GPMS module. So I striped it and put a two sided tape on the metal bracket and attached the GPS antenna.

The arrow icon is reading complety backward, as if I was driving backwards when I tested it today.

Do I need to flip the GPS antenna on the bracket or am I missing something?

It also was going backwards and not on the roadway at times , was tracking off to the side of the roadway I was traveling on.

Lol... now it is completely off the roadway and just going wherever.. lol

Last edited:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Have question..

I put the GPS antenna on the metal bracket, but was unable to use the oem glue, pulled off with the GPMS module. So I striped it and put a two sided tape on the metal bracket and attached the GPS antenna.

The arrow icon is reading complety backward, as if I was driving backwards when I tested it today.

Do I need to flip the GPS antenna on the bracket or am I missing something?

It also was going backwards and not on the roadway at times , was tracking off to the side of the roadway I was traveling on.

Lol... now it is completely off the roadway and just going wherever.. lol
Did you do a master reset of the Sync 3 system? Since it came out of another car it might not be a bad idea to do that.

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Did you do a master reset of the Sync 3 system? Since it came out of another car it might not be a bad idea to do that.
Okay, will try that..

Nope, still running backwards..

Pulled the dash again so I could get to the GPS antenna..

Just not sure what to check.

I pulled the two sided tape and just placed it directly on the metal clip, but it still goes backwards when I am moving. I even tried to turn the GPS antenna around in different postions.. makes no difference.

Could have something wired wrong or is because I haven't updated the system with ForScan?

Only thing I could think is the MS CAN- and MS CAN+

Last edited:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Okay, will try that..

I pulled the two sided tape and just placed it directly on the metal clip, but it still goes backwards when I am moving. I even tried to turn the GPS antenna around in different postions.. makes no difference.

Could have something wired wrong or is because I haven't updated the system with ForScan?

Well the compass is what provides the orientation but If you havent flashed the correct asbuilt data from Forscan then thats probably your issue.

Sponsored

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Well the compass is what provides the orientation but If you havent flashed the correct asbuilt data from Forscan then thats probably your issue.
Should have some more time to mess with it tomorrow and get started with doing the programming.

Hopefully it is something simple.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The compass issue has been a hit or miss problem. I fixed it after I attached the GPS antenna to the metal bracket. Someone else fixed it by purchasing a better quality antenna. I didn’t attemp that because the antenna in my car is left over from a high end racing telemetry system. Even with that it still was backwards. There is some as built data that relates to the antenna placement. I haven’t tried it but it may be worth looking at. [MENTION=33419]Sherrodmustang[/MENTION] if you want take screen caps of your current Settings and post them here.

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The compass issue has been a hit or miss problem. I fixed it after I attached the GPS antenna to the metal bracket. Someone else fixed it by purchasing a better quality antenna. I didn’t attemp that because the antenna in my car is left over from a high end racing telemetry system. Even with that it still was backwards. There is some as built data that relates to the antenna placement. I haven’t tried it but it may be worth looking at. [MENTION=33419]Sherrodmustang[/MENTION] if you want take screen caps of your current Settings and post them here.

Will do...

I hope to start working on the programming tomorrow. I purchased a new Dell laptop just for that, as all I had was a IPad.

There is better GPS antenna to try?

I just picked up the one linked in the first page.

Will post up some screen shots tomorrow evening when I get started with ForScan and changing some inbuilt data.

Hopefully I can get it sorted out.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I myself can’t say for certain the it is better. If I knew of one that 100% guaranteed I would update the OP right away. I know the person at work who is the antenna guru but I’m not sure if a GPS antenna is a GPS antenna or if there are many differences amongst them. My suggestion of which to purchase was based on feedback from the original sync swap thread. I would like to fix the issue though.

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I myself can’t say for certain the it is better. If I knew of one that 100% guaranteed I would update the OP right away. I know the person at work who is the antenna guru but I’m not sure if a GPS antenna is a GPS antenna or if there are many differences amongst them. My suggestion of which to purchase was based on feedback from the original sync swap thread. I would like to fix the issue though.
Gotcha,

Could it be the programming that is a issue you think or something else?

It seems to work and pickup the Mustang's location pretty good.. just completely backwards while moving. If I could somehow flip the icon it would be perfect.. lol..

It also appears to read the opposite direction on the center gauge cluster. If I am heading north (N) it shows south(S) as the heading.

I have read some other forums (Fusion and F150) where the GPSM module is left connected as it is need for compass. They looks to just put the GPS antenna next to it or mounted on top of it, but it is retained.

I went ahead and ordered another GPS antenna, the one linked on the first page had no reviews from buyers... I wonder if iit might be the issue.

This one..
https://www.amazon.com/Active-Anten...481902&sr=8-3&keywords=GPS+antenna+blue+fakra

Has 28 reviews, that clearly have buyers making the swap to Sync 3 with good results.

***September 20, 2016

Verified Purchase

Worked perfectly for 2016 F150 that I upgraded from original 4.2" non touchscreento factory SYNC 3 8" Touchscreen. Fast TTFF and was seeing 18 satellites when mounted under front center of dash***

**November 9, 2017

Verified Purchase

Worked great for my Ford sync 2 to sync 3 conversion***

***on September 10, 2017

Verified Purchase

Used this to upgrade the MyFordTouch (Sync 2) head unit with a Sync 3 head unit which does not use the old GPSM antenna. The cable was long enough to mount it anywhere but I chose to mount behind the instrument cluster above the old compass***

Last edited:

Sponsored

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Gotcha,

Could it be the programming that is a issue you think or something else?

It seems to work and pickup the Mustang's location pretty good.. just completely backwards while moving. If I could somehow flip the icon it would be perfect.. lol..

It also appears to read the opposite direction on the center gauge cluster. If I am heading north (N) it shows south(S) as the heading.

I have read some other forums (Fusion and F150) where the GPSM module is left connected as it is need for compass. They looks to just put the GPS antenna next to it or mounted on top of it, but it is retained.
Mine does the same thing..it’s winter and I haven’t driven my car in months but I bought a new antenna and am planning on hooking that up in a month or so. I also just picked up the 350 bezel so going to try to get toggle switches to work we will see what happens

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Mine does the same thing..it’s winter and I haven’t driven my car in months but I bought a new antenna and am planning on hooking that up in a month or so. I also just picked up the 350 bezel so going to try to get toggle switches to work we will see what happens
What antenna did you pickup?

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Hextail one he listed

Michael J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base EB; PP; Power Pack; Magnetic;
Considering the wires you spliced for the GPS - are you sure you spliced into one of the gray wires and not the black/gray one? I started to do that because the gray wires looked white in the light I was using, and second, it was tired and I was getting late.... I'm glad I stopped to re-read the directions and diagram.
IMG_3989.jpg

Michael J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base EB; PP; Power Pack; Magnetic;
Okay, will try that..

OOOPS. Sorry, that was in response to Sherrodmustang.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.