Sponsored

*MT-82 upgraded* but what does it mean ?

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Nah. As long as there are combustion engines in performance vehicles, there will be manual transmissions. As those IC engines start to fade out, there will be no purpose for manual transmissions. Can't stop technology, but we can enjoy what we have for now.
I hope you're right, but it's scary to look at how many vehicles have lost the option of the MT in the past 5 years alone. I never thought I'd see a day where basic pickups couldn't be specced with rowing gears.

We can agree that the Mustang would likely be last on the list of vehicles to lose the option, but I don't think it's perfectly safe from that scenario.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The flip side of it is that Porsche has brought back the manual option in some of their cars due to demand. It comes down to $$. If it is cost effective and the demand is there then you will see manuals. If people stop buying them and it is a losing proposition for a manufacturer they will drop them.

The demand is there for Mustang, and Ford would likely lose sales to the competition if they dropped it, so I don't see it going anywhere for the near future.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

The new gearing isn't TOO far off from the Mach1 3650 gearing other than 1st and adding 1 gear.

1st: 3.380:1 +.14
2nd: 2.000:1 -.1
3rd: 1.320:1 -.1
4th: 1.000:1
5th: 0.620:1 (moved to 6th)(used in 02-04 with GT and Mach 1)
My '08 GT has basically the same 3650, and I'd love to have a ratio midway between its 1.00 4th and the slightly different 0.68 5th . . . especially on the track at an HPDE day.

Would have liked the same for the TR3550 I put into a '79 Malibu, for that matter.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The diehard manual group are going to accelerate the extinction of the manual transmission with that mentality.
If not wanting computerized help for something as easy as downshifting does as you suggest, it's not likely to hasten the disappearance of MTs by much. If MTs do eventually disappear it'll be for the same reasons MTs have all but disappeared from family sedans (the average consumer can't be bothered).

People who choose a MT car don't start out choosing it because of downshifting. Interest in developing much skill for that - part of being in the 'right' gear for the driving of the moment, all the time - comes later, if at all.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think there has to be a quality control issue with the 15-17's. Or perhaps some different parts or suppliers for certain parts from time to time. My MT82 is up there with any manual sports car I have driven. The shift effort is light and easy at any RPM or speed, and can literally be shifted with a single finger. I do have the Steeda Tri-ax installed, but even before then it was fantastic. It is what sold me on the car when I purchased it, even knowing about all of the gripes that others had about it.
I'm not sure about the QC issue or variations in builds, but I 100% agree with your assessment of the post 2015 MT-82. The earlier MT-82s did tend to have some crunchy shifting that never felt great to me. However, I absolutely loved the MT-82 in the 2015 GT I owned prior to my GT350. In fact, when I first got into the GT350, the only thing I was surprised by is I didn't like the Tremec box as much as the 2015 MT-82. The Tremec transmission has grown on me and I do like it, but it doesn't lessen how much I like the MT-82.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The only time my MT-82 feels crunchy is when it is very cold outside and the first couple of 1-2 shifts are done too quickly. Still have to put in the BG oil.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
BG...I forgot about that. I have that too, and it made it even better while it is cold.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
The only time my MT-82 feels crunchy is when it is very cold outside and the first couple of 1-2 shifts are done too quickly. Still have to put in the BG oil.
BG...I forgot about that. I have that too, and it made it even better while it is cold.
MT-82 hasn't changed since its inception.

My 2011 GT was the same and shifted SO much better after the Syncromesh.

Updated bushing helped too.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
MT-82 hasn't changed since its inception.

My 2011 GT was the same and shifted SO much better after the Syncromesh.

Updated bushing helped too.
It is currently on version 3 in the mustang. It changed a bit in 2015 and again for the 2018 models.
Sponsored