2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 114 - J&M Products / Hotpart.com - 1
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > 2015+ Ford Mustang Forum > Mustang S550 General Forums

Mustang S550 General Forums General topics related to the S550 6th Generation Ford Mustang

User Tag List

Old Today, 09:14 AM   #1
JOKER GT

Drives: my wife crazy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wrenching on the S550

I just wanted to express my joy of wrenching on my S550, I am no newcomer to wrenching on cars as I grew up in the Muscle Car era, however, I find doing the mods Iíve done so far to be less stressful and more rewarding than most work/repairs Iíve done in the past beit muscle cars or family cars. Iím sure I will run across a few mods that will make my vocal cords vibrate with profanity, possibly the shifter, but so far things are going well. Parts seem to be easily accessible, not totally seized up and simple geometry. Also I would like to add how well I feel the mods are thought out and engineered along with the great customer service we receive from all the vendors and letís not forget all the help that is shared across this Mustang6g community.
JOKER GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #2
Ebm

Name: Drew
Drives: '16. Eco
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER GT View Post
I just wanted to express my joy of wrenching on my S550, I am no newcomer to wrenching on cars as I grew up in the Muscle Car era, however, I find doing the mods Iíve done so far to be less stressful and more rewarding than most work/repairs Iíve done in the past beit muscle cars or family cars. Iím sure I will run across a few mods that will make my vocal cords vibrate with profanity, possibly the shifter, but so far things are going well. Parts seem to be easily accessible, not totally seized up and simple geometry. Also I would like to add how well I feel the mods are thought out and engineered along with the great customer service we receive from all the vendors and letís not forget all the help that is shared across this Mustang6g community.
This car is too new for you to have problems getting components off. Give it another 10 years and plenty of heat cycles and you might be singing a different tune. Especially if rust plays a part over those 10 years.

I agree though, most everything is easily accessible. With the I4, I've never seen so much room in an engine bay before. You could probably fit a body on each side of the motor in the engine bay.
Ebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #3
cgreen5150
cgreen5150

Name: Chris
Drives: 2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Go for the shifter. Joker. Not a bad install at all in my opinion.
cgreen5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #4
ctandc72

Drives: '17 Base 6 speed 3.7
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I agree. But I don't understand the mix between standard and metric fasteners. Metric everywhere...exhaust nuts 1/2"? What?

Minor gripe, but still odd - at least in my opinion.
ctandc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #5
BmacIL
Enginerd

Drives: 2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc72 View Post
I agree. But I don't understand the mix between standard and metric fasteners. Metric everywhere...exhaust nuts 1/2"? What?

???

The bolts for the exhaust hangers are 13 mm.
Livernois 93 Tune | Corsa Sport Axleback + Resonated X-pipe | Roush CAI | MGW Race Spec | GT350R/BMR Handling Springs | Steeda Pro-Actions Struts, Koni Yellow Shocks & Steeda Shock Mounts | 19x9.5 SVE Drift Flat Black | BMR Cradle Lockout | PP Strut Tower & K-braces | PP Rear Sway Bar | BG Syncroshift II |

https://www.velossatechdesign.com
BmacIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #6
Spykexx

Drives: 2017 Black Ecoboost Perf Pack
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc72 View Post

For the engine cover on the ecoboost...they use 2 different size nuts, on opposing corners...DUMBEST IDEA EVER. IIRC 8, and 10mm
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #7
ctandc72

Drives: '17 Base 6 speed 3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmacIL View Post
???

The bolts for the exhaust hangers are 13 mm.
The nuts on the exhaust manifold studs are 1/2" on the 3.7.

Not to mention the best fitting socket for the axle nuts is standard, not metric.
ctandc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #8
bjstang

Name: Bill
Drives: His & Hers: 2016 Race Red GT Premium
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER GT View Post
I just wanted to express my joy of wrenching on my S550, I am no newcomer to wrenching on cars as I grew up in the Muscle Car era, however, I find doing the mods I’ve done so far to be less stressful and more rewarding than most work/repairs I’ve done in the past beit muscle cars or family cars. I’m sure I will run across a few mods that will make my vocal cords vibrate with profanity, possibly the shifter, but so far things are going well. Parts seem to be easily accessible, not totally seized up and simple geometry. Also I would like to add how well I feel the mods are thought out and engineered along with the great customer service we receive from all the vendors and let’s not forget all the help that is shared across this Mustang6g community.
Agree with that! The biggest difference now is the ability to purchase classic muscle car parts from a book or website. I guess if you have enough money you can build the entire car with new parts. Sure beats junk yard hunting on a 90 degree day.

We looked for months to find a dash panel for a Chevelle in 1994, now you can buy them new.
Attached Images

bjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #9
bluebeastsrt
Oh boy

Name: BigD
Drives: 2015 GT Premium. 95GT low 9 sec. drag car!
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I've installed CAI, Headers, Tune, Converter on the S550. And I hated every second of it!!! But I'm to old and stubborn to let someone else do such simple work. And then rake me over the coles on labor costs.

Dang! This cold air intake made this thang fast.
bluebeastsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #10
TomcatDriver

Drives: An embarassingly boring car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebm View Post
This car is too new for you to have problems getting components off. Give it another 10 years and plenty of heat cycles and you might be singing a different tune. Especially if rust plays a part over those 10 years.

I agree though, most everything is easily accessible. With the I4, I've never seen so much room in an engine bay before. You could probably fit a body on each side of the motor in the engine bay.
That's usually where I keep mine. Helps with the weight distribution to balance the ones in the trunk.
TomcatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #11
Ebm

Name: Drew
Drives: '16. Eco
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatDriver View Post
That's usually where I keep mine. Helps with the weight distribution to balance the ones in the trunk.
Ebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:38 PM   #12
FranzVonHoffer

Drives: Black Mustang Base GT TP
Coming from German and Japanese cars I'm always amazed how heavy the Ford parts are. Bulky and heavy and not in a good way. But other than that the car's been easy to work on. Running two way radios, radar detectors and dash cams has been a breeze with all the gappy interior trim. I don't even need a trim separator running wires on this car most of the time.
Old Today, 04:09 PM   #13
brandonsmash
SMASH!

Drives: 2015 GT - PP
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Installing a short-throw shifter was, for me, a pretty difficult and labor-intensive process.

If I hadn't done it solo in my driveway or if I had smaller arms/hands/chest it would have been easier, but as it was my Tri-Ax installation took on the order of about 8 hours and there were a couple times I nearly chucked tools down the street in anger.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35699
brandonsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #14
JOKER GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebm View Post

Great idea, now I can sell my Lincoln, getting a little stinky as it is.
Old Today, 05:20 PM   #15
JOKER GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreen5150 View Post
Go for the shifter. Joker. Not a bad install at all in my opinion.
Encourgment is all I need, lol.