Sponsored

Tires that Hold on Dry Asphalt at 600+ RWHP (not DR)

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Hi all,

I have been looking for some new tires for my 19 x 11.5 rear wheels that don't spin in 2nd and generally hold in 1st. My current MPSS (300 treadwear) 325/30R19 spin in all of 1st, 3000+ RPM in 2nd, and maybe around 5000 RPM in 3rd at WOT. I have to let off the gas in 2nd to keep them from spinning as the RPM approaches 3300 or so. They still hold much better than the factory PP wheels that came with the car. This is my daily driver and I don't expect to go to the racetrack with my car. I've seen sticky tires that hold the road well when dry and get horrible treadwear. I've seen 'performance' summer tires that don't hold the road well when dry but do ok when wet. I need something that is not horrible when wet and gets me good forward acceleration stickiness on a typical flat asphalt road.

Here are my requirements for such a tire:

In dry conditions, on a normal virgin asphalt road without lots of rubber down on it, they don't spin at all in 2nd and are difficult to spin in 1st with a good launch.

In wet conditions, they hold the road at relatively high speeds even on slight turns. No ice or snow performance is needed.

They need to fit my Mustang GT with the widest wheels I could find at 19 x 11.5". That means I can fit up to a 345/xx/R19 tires or smaller.

They should not run out of treadwear for at least 5000 miles, but ideally last to 10000 miles. This assumes that the full HP of the engine is transferred to them often (several times per day). Since they don't spin, the rubber is expected to last longer.

Here's my own research so far:

I picked MPSS because they were the best rated dry and wet tires I could find. However, after using them for almost two months, I would like a better dry traction as the wheel spin is really hurting my acceleration times.

If the treadwear is rated at 300, I think that implies the tires last up to 30000 miles under 'slow' driving. If the treadwear is rated at 200, I think that implies up to 20000 miles. Maybe lower treadwear implies stickier tires, but maybe it just means less wear due to other factors like tread depth. I'm no tire expert, but for the same tread depth and tire size, maybe lower treadwear means higher stickiness?

I looked at the NASCAR tires since they seem to hold well at high speeds around turns, but they only get 150 miles of use per tire (https://www.nascar.com/en_us/monste...r-edu/nascar-basic/Race-tire-street-tire.html) and don't look like they handle in wet conditions too well. I drive so slow in wet conditions around a slight turn on the highway, a Prius can pass me!

Wet does not mean heavy rain and puddles, it just means there was a recent rain and the road is wet. I've found fishtailing at 15 to 30 MPH is somewhat correctable and even fun (wide road with lots of lanes) when nobody else is nearby (pedestrians, vehicles, hazards, etc) to you. Fishtailing at 70+ MPH is not so correctable and not fun even when nobody is around as the car might end up hitting some road hazard while trying to regain control. Comments like, "you don't need better tires, you need to slow down" are not constructive here as I am looking for better performance tires.

I listed the pictures of some tires that I would consider buying for my next set. I am not going to buy the drag radials since I believe the wet performance is horrible. If you have any of these, please let me know how well they work for you in dry and wet conditions. Please post the rear tire specs you have on your car including exact size and your max forward acceleration from your dashboard G-force acceleration. If you need to post your dragstrip track acceleration, then please add that note as I am looking for non-dragstrip asphalt numbers. See yellow circle in attached picture for an example.

I get 0.90 peak forward acceleration with my MPSS 325/30/R19 on flat asphalt dry road in 1st (not at the track). The higher the forward acceleration, the better the grip! Thanks!!
accelerometer.png
Drag_Radials_1900.png
Tires_that_fit_11.5-in_Wheels_1900.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I also found this tire I would consider trying:

POTENZA RE050A SCUDERIA - SIZE: 345/35R19, but it might be too tall to fit.
potenza_RE050A.png

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
Half the tires you listed dont fit parameters listed.
et street are DRs, nt05 are DR
a7 and r7 wont do wet well, dont think the proxies will either.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Half the tires you listed dont fit parameters listed.
et street are DRs, nt05 are DR
a7 and r7 wont do wet well, dont think the proxies will either.
I suppose I could have been more clear, "I listed the pictures of some tires that I would consider buying for my next set. I am not going to buy the drag radials since I believe the wet performance is horrible."

Let me rephrase that, I am not going to buy the drag radials I listed since I believe the wet performance is horrible. I listed them anyways so people can still post their experience with them if they had them. What is your forward peak acceleration and what tires do you have?

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Well, its not great, but for a normal street tire im running a 325/30/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
In 90Âş+ weather I can hook 2nd gear around 50mph. Once the temps drop tho, so does traction. But i cant see it getting much better than that for a normal tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Well, its not great, but for a normal street tire im running a 325/30/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
In 90Âş+ weather I can hook 2nd gear around 50mph. Once the temps drop tho, so does traction. But i cant see it getting much better than that for a normal tire.
Yea, we have the same tires! Do you also get forward peak acceleration around 0.90 G-force max in 1st? All of the forced-induction cars are making easily 550+ RWHP and many are 600+ RWHP. Finding good tires for our car is my next challenge.

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
I use nt555dr on our daily 700hp 15, i dont use the track app much since it didnt match up to timeslips at the track. 555r will last 10k miles and never scared my wife much for her daily driving.
NT05r did tho, and the etSS only lasted us 5k miles.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
This is one of the big things that keep me from going FI. I want a car that can handle well and not be stuck running DR's. My car doesn't come out in the rain so I'm willing to even give up wet performance. But I won't sacrifice handling just to hook up.

Looking forward to hearing the recommendations from folks with more knowledge/experience than me.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I use nt555dr on our daily 700hp 15, i dont use the track app much since it didnt match up to timeslips at the track. 555r will last 10k miles and never scared my wife much for her daily driving.
NT05r did tho, and the etSS only lasted us 5k miles.
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, the Nitto NT555R has the widest size of 335/30ZR18 and no 19" sizes at all. Maybe I should have bought smaller wheels :)

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
NT555R are good for daily driving but the R888 (not sure about the R888R) seemed just as good if not better to me. As far as wear they both lasted about 7k miles of hard driving but the R888 handled the curves better than the 555R. When my car was around 680whp it would dead hook 2nd gear on a 40+ roll with the R888. The 555R would dead hook 2nd also but after about 3k miles they didn't seem to have as good of traction, seemed a little more greasy after they warmed up. Both tires were good in the rain under 70mph but both had sway after a few thousand miles & had to keep it under 50mph after a certain point.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I know guys with challengers and chargers really seem to like the atturo az800 &850 for the money. I figure I will give them a try next year.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
NT555R are good for daily driving but the R888 (not sure about the R888R) seemed just as good if not better to me. As far as wear they both lasted about 7k miles of hard driving but the R888 handled the curves better than the 555R. When my car was around 680whp it would dead hook 2nd gear on a 40+ roll with the R888. The 555R would dead hook 2nd also but after about 3k miles they didn't seem to have as good of traction, seemed a little more greasy after they warmed up. Both tires were good in the rain under 70mph but both had sway after a few thousand miles & had to keep it under 50mph after a certain point.
Thanks, I think the R888R is a newer version that is supposed to offer better traction. I'll consider it. I also confirmed the wear is good for up to 8000 miles:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3982460-toyo-r888-vs-r888r.html

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Yea, we have the same tires! Do you also get forward peak acceleration around 0.90 G-force max in 1st? All of the forced-induction cars are making easily 550+ RWHP and many are 600+ RWHP. Finding good tires for our car is my next challenge.
Hmm, not sure if mine are skewed from jacking the car up at all. I'll try and check in the AM.
I don't think you'll find what you're looking for though to be honest without just going for a drag radial.
MPSS was a nice balance of traction and wear. But also keep in mind that all tread wear ratings between different manufacturers are different.
Michelins 300 is different from Nitto's 300.
I was looking into this deliberately prior to settling on the MPSS. I came real close to buying some NT05r's for daily use, but the fact they dont hold up well in rain really scared me.
I really wish nitto would make the nt555r in 19 inch sizing, I would've ran that tire for sure, so really your only good option for a DR id think would be some Mickey thompsons.
I'll eventually just have my street and drag setup. It just costs more this way.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
For a "street" tire non DR, Toyo R888 will be your best bet. Not sure they'd hook in first at that power level though.
Sponsored